Cold morning breakfast ideas

Options
During the warmer months I have a protein smoothie every morning...with the cold weather the last thing I want to do is wake up & drink something ice cold. I usually end up skipping breakfast or carb overloading with a bagel. What are your quick winter breakfast choices? Oh & I don't eat eggs btw so that isn't an option.

Replies

• davepearson86
    davepearson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I ate a chicken sandwich.

skipping breakfast is also an option.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of porridge - not sure how exciting that is for you? I often make compote (dried fruit and tea during the winter) or baked fruit at the weekend and have warmed leftovers on top of porridge on a Mon or Tues. Or have the leftovers with greek yogurt.

More often than not I eat a large apple or banana with some peanut butter (not the reduced fat stuff) at my desk at work.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Bagel and cream cheese with some smoked salmon is delicious and full of protein (I had that this morning).
    Cereal and milk
    Greek yogurt with fruit and granola
    Oatmeal

Or just skip breakfast if you're not hungry.
  • PrettyBack
    Options
    Oatmeal w/raisins
  • marinamoreno
    Options
    I eat a lot of porridge - not sure how exciting that is for you? I often make compote (dried fruit and tea during the winter) or baked fruit at the weekend and have warmed leftovers on top of porridge on a Mon or Tues. Or have the leftovers with greek yogurt.

More often than not I eat a large apple or banana with some peanut butter (not the reduced fat stuff) at my desk at work.

Thank you, I guess I always forget about porridge (oatmeal). Most I've tried are just the packs you make in the microwave & full of sugar. I will do some research on some from scratch with baked fruit. Thanks!
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Options
    Yes, I make it from scratch as I don't like the instant stuff, for some reason it doesn't agree with my stomach.

The recipe below is really good, but a treat! I have put it on my recipes and it works out 207 calories if the whole lot is divided by 4, but for porridge I'd have a 6th instead.

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2009/12/vanilla-roasted-pears/

I use dried apricots and prunes a lot, with black tea or apple juice and a cinnamon stick. I also make baked rhubarb a lot (a bit of water, and a little sugar for the sweet forced pink stuff, a bit more when it's greener and woodier, along with a bit of raw ginger or orange peel).

I sometimes grate an apple into the porridge or add rasins as well.
  • nevertoooldtodoit
    nevertoooldtodoit Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Follow your smoothie by a cup of hot green tea, warms me every morning.
  • marinamoreno
    Options
    Yes, I make it from scratch as I don't like the instant stuff, for some reason it doesn't agree with my stomach.

The recipe below is really good, but a treat! I have put it on my recipes and it works out 207 calories if the whole lot is divided by 4, but for porridge I'd have a 6th instead.

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2009/12/vanilla-roasted-pears/

I use dried apricots and prunes a lot, with black tea or apple juice and a cinnamon stick. I also make baked rhubarb a lot (a bit of water, and a little sugar for the sweet forced pink stuff, a bit more when it's greener and woodier, along with a bit of raw ginger or orange peel).

I sometimes grate an apple into the porridge or add rasins as well.

Ooooh that sounds delicious, thank you!
  • JaniePapageorgio
    JaniePapageorgio Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine makes a warm smoothie with almond or coconut milk, flax seed and/or nuts,a banana and cinnamon and cardimum. Just heat up the almond/coconut milk before blending.
  • sunshinekaye
    sunshinekaye Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Nectar Cappucino, warm or cold! 24 grams of protein, 0 carbs, and about 100 calories. :wink:
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I like to make some quick oats with whole milk and either peanut butter, cocoa powder and a tsp of brown sugar OR strawberries or bananas and a tsp of vanilla. Super hot and steamy!

If you like tea or coffee, you could add half a cup of whole milk and grab a banana or something. . . just to get some calories in.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Options
    Peanut butter and cocoa porridge sounds good, will give that a try tomorrow, thanks!
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and cocoa porridge sounds good, will give that a try tomorrow, thanks!

You're welcome! Oatmeal by itself gets boring after a while. . . so I make it interesting. I like to add ground cinnamon, ginger, cloves and allspice and use strongly brewed chai tea instead of water or milk.
  • marinamoreno
    Options
    Nectar Cappucino, warm or cold! 24 grams of protein, 0 carbs, and about 100 calories. :wink:

Oh what exactly is nectar cappuccino? I'm intrigued!!!
  • marinamoreno
    Options

You're welcome! Oatmeal by itself gets boring after a while. . . so I make it interesting. I like to add ground cinnamon, ginger, cloves and allspice and use strongly brewed chai tea instead of water or milk.

Yes that does sound soo good! Chai tea also is a brilliant idea I've never thought of. I never thought of using anything else but milk. How do you both prepare your oatmeal? Mine always ends up gummy :/
  • TaurusV
    TaurusV Posts: 66
    Options
    low fat milk with dark cocoa and a small rice or corn crisps (the simple non sugared ones) with a pat of cottage cheese or peanut butter?
  • marinamoreno
    Options
    low fat milk with dark cocoa and a small rice or corn crisps (the simple non sugared ones) with a pat of cottage cheese or peanut butter?

Yum! I'm going to try it out this week. Thanks!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    do you eat eggs at all, like in baked things?

protein pancakes are awesome :) I'll also happily eat curry/casserole/stew/soup for breakfast
  • iamMLH
    iamMLH Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I deal with the same thing. I have been in Florida for the last few years, and I haven't had to deal with winter until recently. Yesterday I discovered what is now the greatest joy in my life. I mix oatmeal (2 packets), peanut butter (2T), cinnamon (~1/2t), chocolate protein powder (1 serving). It tastes just like a Little Debbie Star Crunch. That makes a double batch because I'm working on getting my calories up, but it's pretty easy to come up with some really nice proportions. If you're using normal oatmeal, you may want to try sweetening with a bit of honey.

Since I use instant oatmeal, it doesn't take much longer than a protein shake, and there aren't really any dishes, which is a big bonus for me in the morning. It's also much quieter than a blender.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    If you're keen on cold, then raw oats are actually quite yummy and super quick. Google "Vegan Overnight Oats" and you're find a TON of suggestions :)