Interviewed for Redbook Magazine for MFP Success!!!

Options
joyzy
joyzy Posts: 97 Member
http://www.redbookmag.com/health-wellness/advice/weight-loss-success-tips?click=main_sr#slide-8

That's not me in the picture, that's just a stock photo...but still, pretty awesome to be "published"!!!!!! The only thing is I wish they had mentioned how much exercise played a role for me in losing and now maintaining for a year and a half.

I started out at 270 pounds, 5'8", age 31, mom of three kids ages 5 and under. It took an obesity-related spinal cord injury for me to wake UP. During my recovery from temporary paralysis, I started walking and then running.

In November I completed the Philadelphia Marathon. 26.2 miles. Not fast, but I ran it and finished it. This is me in the pink.

333C5546-FCE4-4C38-8664-32222BE487F0-1748-000001814280DEC5_zps7df42537.jpg

During 2014 I ran over 1500 miles.

Currently I work at the YMCA as the leader of the twice weekly running club. I teach a class once a week for beginning walkers/runners. I also volunteer coach the local boys' elementary school running team twice a week. And recently I started working as a Y Coach, acting as a liason between the membership office, and the rest of the facility, guiding new members to how they can use all that the YMCA has to offer to suit their needs.

I work out 5-6 days/week. I run, bike swim, and do strength training. I have more energy than ever and feel fantastic.

If I can do this, SO CAN YOU!!

6bb4dc5c-88b7-4856-ae26-150d3d798352_zps87e63a63.jpg

Replies

• Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    This is amazing! Your story always leaves me feeling humbled and inspired to keep going :) I love that you're doing things for your health and not to become stick-figure thin. Thanks for being a great friend and helping me to keep fighting, even when I want to throw in the towel!
  • nevertoooldtodoit
    nevertoooldtodoit Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    HI! Congrats on the accomplishments. In your last 2 pics there is only 1lb difference but you look more fit. Did you start a lifting program or what was the difference? Also, may I ask how tall you are? I am at the same weight and am wondering what to do to change composition. Thank you and again, awesome!
  • _runbitchrun
    _runbitchrun Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Great job!! Running is awesome! Congrats on doing a marathon... I can only dream of one right now...
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    That is very inspiring! Congrats!
  • LoveMyLife_NYC
    LoveMyLife_NYC Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    YAY! Congrats on your successes and congrats for being published. That is really cool!
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss and your interview! That is a great accomplishment. :flowerforyou:
  • Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That's quite a success story! :)
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    You are amazing!! I am blown away by your progress!! Congrats on being published!! The cherry on top of an amazing success story!!
  • missyjg99
    missyjg99 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I love you! You rock my dear. Such an inspiration to me.
  • lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    WOW!! That is so great! Good for you! You worked hard and were dedicated and reaped the reward. And excellent job on the marathon!!!
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    You are so awesome!!
  • Sallybeee_fit
    Sallybeee_fit Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have been following you for a while now and your story is so inspiring everytime I read it.
  • MGreensides
    MGreensides Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm so lucky to be your friend!! Congrats on being published, it feels amazing (I was in Canadian Running)
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! A great inspiration for all!
  • asilmegan34
    asilmegan34 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Way to go, you look fantastic!
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! A very inspirational and amazing story and it is great to have your story told, giving inspiration to so many others!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!