Calorie shocker!

Options

Replies

• daniellebracy50
    Options
    I think the thing that got me was the portion size/ calories for everything. Like when you go to Mcdonalds, they usually give you like 3 servings and each serving is 300 calories so after you eat a med fry, you've eaten like 900 calories in one day. I though nuts were healthy but its actually like 150-200 cals for 1/4 cup: thats like one bite. I have learned to actually measure and weigh food. I literally go to the cafeteria and ask for 5 fries just to get a little bit without exceeding my 1200 cal per day. I also just bought a scale to weigh everything.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify for those who've said things along the lines of "I thought it was healthy but it's high in calories"

High in calories does not = bad/unhealthy. It just means you have to be careful when portioning it and make it fit into your calorie limit/ macros.
  • juliagorina
    juliagorina Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    OMG: you want the most recent one, right?
    Chicken wings!
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    My shocker was milk...1% and 2%..loaded with sugar. My sugar intake is 24 grams...having a bowl of cereal with a cup of milk in it is 12 grams gone. I love milk in my coffee, but no more. All these years I avoided cream but now I have to have it. I never exceed my fat intake but I always exceed my sugar. No wonder. Now I save my sugar for that mini chocolate bar or something else as a sweet treat.

I didn't know that about the milk/cream thing ... hmm. I might follow your lead on that. Thanks for the thought.
  • juliagorina
    juliagorina Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Totally agree that it's important to portion and differentiate between good and empty calories. My solution is to cook at home, whenever possible: no nasty surprises, but does take quite a bit of effort!
  • gsc560
    gsc560 Posts: 11
    Options
    For me it was the nice thick tortilla's I liked.... I had no idea so many calories fit into something so FLAT.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    peanuts
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    For me it was the nice thick tortilla's I liked.... I had no idea so many calories fit into something so FLAT.
    I know! They look so much lower calorie than a nice round bread roll
  • ArtsyGarbage
    Options
    Red Lobster sweet chili shrimp appetizer. Like 1,140 calories for 12 tiny shrimp on a bed of lettuce. GAH! (They were delicious I regret nothing)
  • ninjasinvegas
    Options
    This morning I was shocked to find out how much sodium smoked links had! One serving already took up half my daily goal.
  • fitmomhappymom
    fitmomhappymom Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I never realized how many calories were actually in the fast food I was eating. I never thought they were healthy by any means, but I didn't realize I was usually consuming a whole day's worth of calories in one meal. Also, chickfila sauce. I used to eat 4 of those with a meal, not realizing they were 160 calories each!!
  • fitmomhappymom
    fitmomhappymom Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    this too...the lowest calorie tortilla I can find is 90 cals...thats a lot for not much benefit!
  • Charlottie88
    Options
    Restaurant salads. You just assume they are lower in cals because they tend to be carb free and mostly veg but damn am I always shocked when I read the nurtitional info online. Now whenever I go out I always decide what I'm eating beforehand so I dont get a nasty shock later on!
  • christinemadden0223
    christinemadden0223 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I guess I wasn't as shocked by the calories in the food as the amount of food in the serving!! You mean I can't eat half a medium pizza? You mean if I eat the whole basket of chips and salsa and then my cheese covered mexican meal I won't lose weight?! A half cup of ice cream is impossible! And candy....reese's peanut butter cups? Don't get me started...
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    It's never the calorie count that shocks me. It's the sodium.

Totally agree with this. The food industry should stop messing with our food. Like please stop adding sugar and sodium to things to make them more addictive.
  • Cjbiobaby
    Cjbiobaby Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    look for 100 percent juices not juice blend or cocktails... i have been told just to skip the juice period, or juice it yourself... eat the fruit that will make that juice instead of buying the juice.... juices are most definately high in calories..... ttry this juice called Trop50. has much less calories than regular oj.
    also, what we do at work because some of our people wont drink water, or wont drink enough water, with their juices we add water to it. less juice, add water... less calories and sugars LOL.
    good for you to be on your way to a more fit you!!!
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options

Like a jar of nuts. Has anyone ever gotten a jar of nuts and counted out X amount of pieces?

I actually do this with almonds all the time! 27 almonds makes a great, filling snack for ~150 calories!

Met too! I honestly could eat the whole dang thing. I love almonds.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    My baking :noway:

1 Filled Cupcake w/icing: 502 cal
    1 Filled Dark Chocolate Cupcake w/icing: 615 cal
    1 srvg Vanilla Bean Crème Brulee - 559 cal (44gm fat)
    1 srvg Lemon Chiffon Pie - 460 cal
    1 srvg Lemon Meringue Pie - 445 cal
    1 srvg Cherry Pie - 418 cal

The list goes on.....
  • StephyGetsHealthy
    Options
    I work at Dairy Queen - I always knew most of our stuff was high in calories, but once I actually looked through the nutrition information... Holllllllyyyycrap. A lot of the large blizzards are like a full day's worth of calories!
  • steve_in_ny
    steve_in_ny Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    For me it was chicken wings. I knew they weren't a good choice, but I didn't expect 1900 calories for a dozen wings.. BEFORE you add the requiste 2-4 draft beers, cheese fries and everything else that goes along with football sunday at BWW.