Ladies around 5'5-5'7 - at what weight do you have abs?

Options
1235»

Replies

• moxleymama6
    moxleymama6 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Never have got a low enough body fat!
  • nidamahmood1992
    Options
    hey guys!!.. i just wanted to share a super website i found that offers tons of different workout videos that are FREE! and dont need much equipmen at all that duable in the house... enjoy working out :)
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    :smile: Never mind my BMI, my body fat % is 33.5% body fat/ and 46.9 Pounds of fat and 93.1 Pounds of lean muscle. Yea so i don't full set of abs but they are visibly outlined a lot better then they used to be due to working out now. Trying to get fitter and leaner so...
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    you probably don't have enough muscle, because I have the "ab line" like all the way down my abdomen and I'm 5'7 and 170 pounds so...yeah
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Weight is not the only determinant for this. Losing the excess fat layer above the abs through toning and strength training will help with this.
  • MTGirl4Life
    MTGirl4Life Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • iamMLH
    iamMLH Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I know this has been said a few times, but I think it's worth saying again:

Weight has almost no impact on your abs. There are essentially 2 things that go into having any kind of definition. It is based on the size of the muscle and the amount of fat on top of it. Thinking of weight as a goal is going to distract us from getting the successes we really want and perpetuate some really unhealthy cycles.

If you are having trouble visualizing what people mean when they say it's not about weight, it's about fat and muscle, there's a little experiment you can do (sorry, this won't give you abs):

Go to your bed, and lay 6 pillows of different thicknesses in a 2x3 pattern (like your six pack) on your mattress. Them layer a sheet, a thin blanket, and a thick comforter over pillows in that order. With all three of of the covers on there, you can probably see very little definition from any but the thickest pillows. Take the thick comforter off. You should now be able to see more definition between the pillows. Finally, remote all but the sheet. You should now be able to se quite a bit of definition (even with the thinnest pillows).

Your abs work exactly the same way. You can add definition by increasing the size of the muscles or by decreasing the amount of fat that covers them. Ideally, this is done in combination to have the best results.

Here is a link to a bunch of women who say they 5'7", 140lbs and between 25-34. You can see some are very lean and some are pretty curvy. It's not necessarily a genetics; it's composition. I believe muscle has roughly 1/5 the volume of fat. So, someone with more muscle can be significantly smaller than someone more fat.

http://www.mybodygallery.com/search.html?gender=female&height=170&weight=64&age=30&pantSize=0&shirtSize=any&bodytype=&p=2

Sorry for the long post.
  • floatfitness
    floatfitness Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and compete in NPC bikini and for me I can see them around 130lbs
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! I'm going to see if my university's gym has bodyfat calculating equipment... but at the moment, I'll keep with my regular routine, which has been upping protein, calories, & doing strength training. Hopefully it'll pay off, since I was skin & bones before, without the curves & toned look I wanted. :\

ughhh zombie thread…who the hell rebumped this…??
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    CJewel22 wrote: »
    I'm 5'5 and weigh 111. My upper abs show and my lower "v". A HUGE factor in abs is in your diet. You have to eat in a manner that allows your body to "shed" fat over the ab muscles. Genetics do play a great factor in abs.
    The diet does not dictate where fat is gained or lost. Genetics does play a factor on what weight, bodyfat%, amount of lean muscle you have to have in order to see them
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback! I'm going to see if my university's gym has bodyfat calculating equipment... but at the moment, I'll keep with my regular routine, which has been upping protein, calories, & doing strength training. Hopefully it'll pay off, since I was skin & bones before, without the curves & toned look I wanted. :\

ughhh zombie thread…who the hell rebumped this…??

In for Zombies!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It doesn't matter how much you weigh, it's how much body fat you have. You can weigh 100lbs and still be flabby but with the right diet and exercise you will tone up and lose the fat and you will have some rocking abs. Don't focus on weight, focus on droping body fat.
    If OP goes down that road, she could end up like me - 15% BF, so low that my periods stopped coming - and still no abs.

Yes, that's kind of what worries me! I don't want less bodyfat, necessarily. The way I am now, my ribs stick out like a xylophone, & my chest is only a 32c (being a bit generous). I don't have hips & probably never will. I've only recently regained my period (having gained about 5 lbs since my lowest weight).

I'd like to have curves, not look like a little boy. I just want to look like a woman who's fit & strong & healthy. :)
    Honeybunches, your hips are shaped like they're shaped. Just like my damn hips are square as hell and there's nothing I can do about that except maybe put some weird silicone implants on the sides of them to make them look rounder.

We are what we are. All we can do is make ourselves look the best we possibly can in light of our genetics.

If you can see all your ribs and your periods stopped until recently, you are way too thin in the opinion of almost all doctors and almost all potential partners... and almost all people.

Besides, hips are not that important. You can wear padded underwear if your hips make you feel that uncomfortable. I don't think you'd need to anyway. Most fashion models have a surprisingly high waist-to-hip ratio... their comp cards lie and Photoshop takes care of the rest. Ask me how I know: I worked in that industry.

Also - if you ever have a baby, your hips may widen. Many women's hips do. The body naturally widens the hips to allow for easier delivery.

ETA: Crap, why do I always forget to check the date.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think it's a matter of weight. I'm 5'6 and the lowest I've ever been was 116, I looked very unhealthy but had no visible abs. In fact, I never have :( the closest I've been to it is actually now (at 140ish) where the top 2 are threatening to show.

I'm telling myself that it's not a matter of genetics but building/having enough muscle there with low enough bodyfat. They're going to take me a few years but I'm going to get there.
  • lakhena
    lakhena Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of strength training and cardio in high school and college (karate, wrestling, lifting, and ballet). When I was about 126 to 130 lbs, my abs were gorgeous. And yes, I am 5'6"

I'm trying to get my weight back down, but realistically don't think my abs are ever going to look as good as they did back then, since I don't train that way anymore. Less time these days, alas.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    I honestly don't think it's a matter of weight. I'm 5'6 and the lowest I've ever been was 116, I looked very unhealthy but had no visible abs. In fact, I never have :( the closest I've been to it is actually now (at 140ish) where the top 2 are threatening to show.

I'm telling myself that it's not a matter of genetics but building/having enough muscle there with low enough bodyfat. They're going to take me a few years but I'm going to get there.

Yup, it's not about weight. I'm 5'6" and had a complete six-pack at 114 lbs (14% bf) and very visible abs at 124 lbs (16% bf--left profile pic). I'll know when I'm lean enough during this cut because I'll get to the point where I have abs again. After that, it's maintain until bulk round 3!
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    It's not *really* genetics...you have to build up the muscle before you shed the fat. Anyone can have abs if if they build up the muscle in that area and then she'd the fat on top. It's still a muscle. All muscles have the ability to grow. Some will have different rates of growth, but it's always possible. I'm 5'7 and I weigh 150. I have top abs but I'm "recomping", so I'm not really focusing on abs right now. When I weighed 130 I didn't have near the definition I have now
  • billiejoz
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and my lowest weight was in the mid 90s and although I have seen my abs they never popped. I tend to bulk in the legs. Just the way I'm built I'd guess. Or maybe it's the ice cream lol. But I'll never stop trying!