Ladies around 5'5-5'7 - at what weight do you have abs?

Options

Replies

• Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and have been as low as 115. Never had visible abs. Visible bones, yes.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Although genetics has a lot to do with it, the OP may have an issue revealing abs considering her history. You can't expect to appear lean in the midsection, or anywhere, if significant muscle mass is likely lost.
  • ShadeyC
    ShadeyC Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    YES *fist in the air*

When I hit my goal height I'll have abs

Day. Is. Made

HAhahahah awesome
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Weight is a factor but not what makes or breaks the point of showing off abs. 1) Abs are created in the gym. You have to do a lot of abs exercises. I'm talking like 200-300 reps (about 4 sets of 25 reps of 2 or 3 abs exercises). Some of my favorite are captain's chair, reverse crunch, leg lifts, ball crunches, etc. 2) Abs are revealed in the kitchen. No matter how hard you workout or how little you weigh, in order to reveal those abs you have to eat clean and know how to "tighten" your look. A friend and I compete in body competitions. I just started and I am currently trying to lose more weight for my next competition. If you look up/ Google "a figure competition diet and workout plan", that will be step one to getting you on your way. I have some abs showing and I am 5'4" and sitting at 125lbs. My upper abs are currently what show, my lower abs are a work in progress (that will take me losing a little more weight and tightening my diet). Diet Diet Diet are everything when revealign abs. If I drink a glass of wine, I can see the "softness" coming back and my muscles don't look as "hard". Just always remember, muscle weighs more than fat and you can't always rely on the scale. Its helps, but doesn't always work. Another thing is go to your local gym and ask for a body fat % measurement. Average woman is at 21-25% body fat. Body competitiors are around 15% at show time. Anyhow, hope that helps!

I disagree with basically everything here. ^^^^^

There is no need to was time doing 2-300 reps. Compound lifts take care of working the core.

Yep....

Yup seconded

Weight has nothing to do with abs at all. All to do with losing bf enough for them to show for you. I have not been blessed with prominent abs, and even when I got on stage at 6-8% I barely had abs (by my standards).

For many women, maintaining abs all the time isn't healthy. Most fitness models don't have visible abs all the time....I think magazines/media gives most women unreal expectations
  • Amandainyaface
    Options
    It doesn't have anything to do with weight! It's a matter of Bodyfat %. Abs should show at around 18-20% bodyfat for women all sizes.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have anything to do with weight! It's a matter of Bodyfat %. Abs should show at around 18-20% bodyfat for women all sizes.

Everyone is different - some people (myself included) don't have great abs even at low BF.
  • aketola4344
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and in my humble experience, it's not about weight it's about body fat. I compete in NPC Figure (lady's body building) and my abs show best at 12% or less. At that body fat percentage, my weight is about 122 lbs, but then I have a lot of muscle mass.
  • _namaste_
    Options
    5'6 and my abs show even at 130lbs. All 6, too. Diet is the biggest factor I have heard but genetics must play a role too.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Old thread...however..

My obliques show at a pretty high body fat (relatively)...up to about 24 - 25% as they are quite developed from compound lifting. I am 5 6" and at that BF% I am nearly 160lb. I don't have much of a six pack per se though and they only start to peak through when I am in my high teens from a BF% (at about 148lb). Apart from BF%, a lot is genetics (whether you have separation), fat distribution and muscle development.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    H am 5'8 and suffer from the 'chicken wing' syndrome. I currently burn 1000 kcal a day, five times a week, combining cardio and strenght. I have a slight defined chest, and am not worried about abs. At 49, January, I'm not doing bad. Come this time next year, provided I don't injure myself again, we might be talking :)
  • nicenhealthy
    Options
    If I workout they are visible when @ a low healthy weight. :P crunches and all that jazz.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and I don't think I've ever seen my abs before lol. I'm 126 lbs now and I think something is starting to happen? Lol.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Although genetics has a lot to do with it, the OP may have an issue revealing abs considering her history of malnutrition and being 10 lbs underweight. You can't expect to appear lean in the midsection, or anywhere, if significant muscle mass is likely lost.

I'm thinking this too (Though old thread! Tricked again...). My lowest weight was roughly 95 lbs at 5'6.5"; no abs to be seen. Why? Probably because I was starving myself.

Now at 139, after weightlifting for 1+ year, my stomach has more definition than it's ever seen. Not expecting to see abs I want until I've dropped a bit lower in bf% (probably around 25% right now), and completed a bulk/cut.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7 1/2" and my abs look best at 125-126. I am at 126-127 now.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    weight means nothing for abs, body fat % is what matters.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    YES *fist in the air*

When I hit my goal height I'll have abs

Day. Is. Made
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :drinker:
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" was down to 20% BF or so. Saw abs. Didn't want to but I did. Still had a friggin muffin top though. Couldn't get it to budge even though I dropped my weight enough that my period stopped for 8 months. My body's just stubborn I guess.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Agree with those who said that abs are made in the kitchen. :) No matter how little you weight on the scale, if you still have a layer of fat on your belly, it will obscure the abdominals.

The only problem for me is that the stomach area is where my body likes to store fat, so I'm afraid that if I lose enough to show abs, I will be totally flat-chested & buttless. :( Not sure if I'm willing to make that compromise, frankly, but if there's a way around it, I'd sure be glad to hear it!

Yes, I have decided that my legs will disappear before my ab fat will leave!

Lifting does help with both problems, but genetics. . . .
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I always have the top of my abs show even when I was at my heaviest. I am on the right track and need to lose just 15-20 pounds but I already see my lower abs defined. what I find, ladies that helps is when you lie on you belly and keep your hand flat on the ground and just lift up the torso and head only towards the ceiling as much as possible. When I stretch that way, uuw it feels so good and you can really feel the stomach muscle working. Key is to hold it as long as you can while breathing deeply:) i findd that this move ladies is the best move to feel your tummy flatter!
    I have a flat stomach and the more I strength train which is not often but more than what I ever did in my life, my abs show. Oh my BMI 22.1 for 5'7" and 140( I should be 135-holday weight:( )
  • MrsJS5
    MrsJS5 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Sorry if someone has already said this - I'm not going to read through all the responses - but it has a lot to do with your body dimensions. I'm 5'6" and I weigh 119 and I've had two kids. I had great abs 3 weeks after my second child and a 50 lb. weight gain because I hold almost no weight in my abs and I never have. I have a longer torso compared to my legs so everything in the middle is just stretched out. Someone with a shorter torso will have better legs than I will without having to do the work that I will.