argh!!!!!! sodium

Options
can someone help me out ? i started back on the wagon saturday and the last two days im always over in sodium! im doing bodybyvi,it works for me so dont hate! haha umm im trying to eat healthy and do my best...i retain fluid like crazy normally. can you naMe soMe foods that i could eat? i love hot sause but wow....alot of sodiuM
i never pick up the salt shaker either

Replies

• M______
    M______ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I had a look at your last day in your diary. The easiest and most direct way to keep within your sodium limits is to eat fresh food. Have that in mind when you see the sodium contents, most of the main offenders aren't fresh produce.

If that thing is working for you then its completely up to you, but of course you will retain water weight a little more whilst having a high count of sodium in your diet. Most sauces and dressings are high in sodium unfortunately.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this, too. Basically, you need to cook your own food. If it's delivered by a waiter or comes in a box, the odds are it will be high in sodium.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    just to check, have you been checked out by your doctor to rule out high blood pressure?

and definitely the best way to reduce sodium is to eat fresh food. prepackaged food generally has sodium added to act as a preservative.
    also make sure you are getting enough potassium and drinking enough water. but definitely have your physician confirm that you dont have hbp.
  • DawnB86
    DawnB86 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Agree with the other posters here that fresh food is the way to go. I'm with you on the hot sauce though, I used to be addicted. Now, I just add either chili powder or cayenne pepper (sometimes mixed with tomato sauce-the canned stuff with no spices or salt added to make a sauce). It gives it an extra kick without the added sodium.
  • DanielleWatson83
    DanielleWatson83 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    nope! dont have high blood pressure...but he has me on a blood pressure pill for the water retention. he says as i loose weight it will get better. makes sense...what do u all eat?
  • KimberlinaB
    KimberlinaB Posts: 4,017 Member
    Options
    I'm not the best person for advice here as I don't watch my sodium closely, but from looking at your food journal, the snacks and Jello powder seem to be the worst part. The cheesestring and meat would almost have been enough to put you under your allowance. When considering snacks maybe try substituting vegetables if possible, you could have brocolli, or carrots, and it would be much less sodium... I guess try looking up lower sodium items to consider. As you said, you do not have a problem with high blood pressure, but maybe you could try looking up recipes/ dietary suggestions for people that DO as it would be a lower sodium option. Hope this helps! :)
  • McMehu
    McMehu Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I watch sodium. I find that I crave high sodium foods the most and by watching sodium the calories and everything else seems to fall into place. For me sodium seems to be the hardest goal to meet.

Fresh foods made from scratch really. Eating packaged foods and eating out and even eating "low calorie" foods often result in high sodium.

Fresh veggies, fresh fruit, fresh meat. Home made sauces. I do enjoy some hot sauce and jalapenos once and a while I just try to work it into my numbers. Even frozen chicken has a lot because they pump sodium filled broth into them to add weight. There are some reduced sodium products out there but even they can be high.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Read labels. Prelog. It helps. Sodium in my life sucks....ya just got to keep an eye on it and decide if its worth all that extra salt or not. :flowerforyou:
  • DanielleWatson83
    DanielleWatson83 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm not the best person for advice here as I don't watch my sodium closely, but from looking at your food journal, the snacks and Jello powder seem to be the worst part. The cheesestring and meat would almost have been enough to put you under your allowance. When considering snacks maybe try substituting vegetables if possible, you could have brocolli, or carrots, and it would be much less sodium... I guess try looking up lower sodium items to consider. As you said, you do not have a problem with high blood pressure, but maybe you could try looking up recipes/ dietary suggestions for people that DO as it would be a lower sodium option. Hope this helps! :)

thank you! doing that advice now ;0)
  • wrenegade64
    wrenegade64 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    It is the end of my first official day logging on here and I am under on everything EXCEPT SODIUM! I feel your pain!
  • amosmoses88
    amosmoses88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Sodium can be hard to deal with. Especially since we both like hot things, and we all knows most spicy and hot things have loads of sodium in it! It's okay in moderation and when the serving size says 2 tablespoons, YOU BEST EAT 2 TABLESPOONS cause if not, you're gonna be doubling up on everything else as well as sodium. Everything is okay as long as it's in moderation. It's hard girl, I know. But it's true, anything packaged is going to be LOADED with salt. Drink LOTS AND LOTS of water anyway because water helps release that water retention that sodium causes. The more water, the less swelling!
  • kroldridge
    kroldridge Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Sodium is never my friend--all of the advice has helped me. My doctor keeps telling me water is KEY....