how do you motivate yourself to stick with it

Options
leader29
leader29 Posts: 12 Member
Iv read sucess posts and am amazed, but when I think its going to take 1 year? 4 months? However long, I think to myself, nope, not possible, I cant do this, I cant think that ill ever be slim, its only week one, and I have negative feelings. Im 5 foot 3 and 194 pounds, so huge for my height, its gotta change, byt the lowest iv ever been is 170lb which is still big, I dont feel its possible, especially as I have now become a sahm and activity has dropped loads since I left work,
help please, how do you stay focused knowing you have such a long road ahead xxx

Replies

• _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    How active was your job before?

Running after a kid is a pretty active lifestyle usually.

As far as motivation, you may be focusing to much on the end product. The fact is there is no end product. A lot of the success stories say that they still want to do this or that, whether it's lose a bit more or run a marathon or improve their lifts.

It's better to set small goals. For now just aim to get below 170lbs. You'll then be the lightest you've been in your adult life. It's a good feeling.

Sometimes it's hard and you won't have the buzz of inspiration to motivate you. In those circumstances you just have to suck it up and do it anyway. It's about willpower, much like anything else that's hard.
  • briannanoelg
    Options
    The single most motivating thing my husband ever said to me was:

"How long did it take you to gain that weight? Did you gain it in a few weeks? A few months? No, it took time. If it took time to gain the weight, why wouldn't it take time to lose it?"

And it's true. Weight doesn't just fall off. If you're not willing to put in the time and work then you don't deserve it. Anything in life worth having is worth working for. I schedule the gym in my planner. I cross it off when I do it. I decide ahead of time what I'm going to do at the gym so that I look forward to it and I always feel kick *kitten* when I'm done. You just have to make it a habit!
  • leader29
    Options
    I walked to work, and I worked in a busy shop, running around, up and down stairs. Lo is 11 months old but its no where near as active as work was. I am just impatient and cant imagine it working, I need to just focs on one week at a time I think, but im finding ithard already. Just need a kick. Xxx
  • kazwillimott
    kazwillimott Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi, have u tried the 5:2 way of eating
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I walked to work, and I worked in a busy shop, running around, up and down stairs. Lo is 11 months old but its no where near as active as work was. I am just impatient and cant imagine it working, I need to just focs on one week at a time I think, but im finding ithard already. Just need a kick. Xxx

They (whoever 'they' are, lol) say it takes 6 weeks to form new habits. Basically, those first 6 weeks are going to be the toughest. But it does get easier. You start looking forward to your workouts and finding recipes and new ways to make your intake match your calorie and macro (protein/fat/carb) needs.
  • Amber0450
    Options
    I'm just starting (again)...Day 1; for me, it helps to keep in my mind that I've done it before. And when I really saw amazing results, it's because I found something to do (active) that I really enjoyed. That made it more meaningful than just "making" myself go work out. :smile:
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    The number on the scale never worried or motivated me in anyway. For me it was my health. When I started I was taking many medications to control all the obese related health issues I had. Nearly 4 years later all the issues are gone and I am completely med free. What keeps me going is focusing on getting better physically fitness wise. Setitngs small goals and accomplishing things I couldn't do before.
  • mymuffin88
    mymuffin88 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Think of it as a new lifestyle rather than a diet.
  • mhasita
    mhasita Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My dad lost a foot to diabetes and eventually lost his life as well. I don't let myself fall off the wagon, because everytime I feel like I don't want to keep going, the memory of my father's decaying foot comes to my mind and I don't want that to happen to me.
  • liloldDee
    liloldDee Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I understand where your coming from, I was always someone who wanted fast solutions. When I think back on all the diets I started which lasted a few months and were tough going, I am filled with regret. If I had taken on board the good advice I read on here and another forum I would have all my weight lost and be in maintainance for years. I have been losing and gaining for the past 5 years because I had an all or nothing attitude. I've changed my attitude, set my goal to lose 1 pound per week, got a fitbit and now consider this to be a life style change. I'm eating between 1500 and 2000 calories a day, eating what I want and enjoying it. For some reason the cravings that plagued me before are gone, I think it's because all my meals are satisfying, I'm not substituting real food for "diet" foods and I'm eating more protein.
  • SpitfireStacey
    SpitfireStacey Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Small changes. I'm a SAHM, and I set myself a goal of 10k steps each day with my body bug thingy, and I thought in an "average" day that'd be impossible, so I was accepting 8k per day without exercise and 10k with a workout. I've found that just by walking around the house more (not sitting down), taking the stairs instead of the elevator every.single.time, and just the every day bits I already do really add up to my activity level. Focus on your eating and movements, set a timer every time you sit down (like at the computer) for 5mins or less, and when it goes off, get up and do something, tidy up the toys, clean the kitchen, start a craft, whatever it is that you enjoy or need to do and you'll find your activity level is easy to increase.
  • embaudin
    embaudin Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Iv read sucess posts and am amazed, but when I think its going to take 1 year? 4 months? However long, I think to myself, nope, not possible, I cant do this, I cant think that ill ever be slim, its only week one, and I have negative feelings. Im 5 foot 3 and 194 pounds, so huge for my height, its gotta change, byt the lowest iv ever been is 170lb which is still big, I dont feel its possible, especially as I have now become a sahm and activity has dropped loads since I left work,
    help please, how do you stay focused knowing you have such a long road ahead xxx

Honestly, I haven't read some of the other replies on here. But as someone who is 5,1ft and started at 185lbs before losing weight - I then managed to drop 28lbs in 2 months. Initially I used anger and frustration to keep me motivated. Anger that I'd let myself get that big, and anger for how I'd let my unhappiness of my weight affect other aspects of my life. Eventually I started to love the gym! It was an amazing way to destress from work and other aspects of life! But along side that, I walk a minimum of 3 miles a day, and swim minimum 3 times per week. I live in a town where unless you love getting really drunk every weekend - you don't really tend to develop much of a social circle. So as someone who doesn't drink at all - its very difficult to find someone to exercise with. Best thing to do is to set yourself mini-goals whilst you're exercising. Challenge yourself. I work 15 hour days 7 days a week. So each time I exercise I set myself a mini goal to try and take 30 secs less for each mile I walk. I don't 'deprive' myself of any kind of food - but I keep 'moderation' in the forefront of my mind. If I feel a junk food craving coming on, I will drink a bucket load of water so I feel more full, and plan somewhere to go the next day to indulge in my junk food craving, but still keeping in balance with my calorie allowance for the day. Don't look at it as changing your lifestyle, look at it like breaking a bad habit or two. Don't villanise the things you want to change, it just makes it all seem like a bigger mountain to climb than it really is!
  • leader29
    Options
    All or nothing, that decribes me to a t, I want it now lol, I am going to do this this time around, and if it means reading success stories every day, well I gues I will. I love reading what gets people going, and what pulls them back, somethung will stick to me and ill just keep going xxx
    I understand where your coming from, I was always someone who wanted fast solutions. When I think back on all the diets I started which lasted a few months and were tough going, I am filled with regret. If I had taken on board the good advice I read on here and another forum I would have all my weight lost and be in maintainance for years. I have been losing and gaining for the past 5 years because I had an all or nothing attitude. I've changed my attitude, set my goal to lose 1 pound per week, got a fitbit and now consider this to be a life style change. I'm eating between 1500 and 2000 calories a day, eating what I want and enjoying it. For some reason the cravings that plagued me before are gone, I think it's because all my meals are satisfying, I'm not substituting real food for "diet" foods and I'm eating more protein.
  • leader29
    Options
    Wow, 28lb in 2 months, thats amazing, you are inspiring,

Honestly, I haven't read some of the other replies on here. But as someone who is 5,1ft and started at 185lbs before losing weight - I then managed to drop 28lbs in 2 months. Initially I used anger and frustration to keep me motivated. Anger that I'd let myself get that big, and anger for how I'd let my unhappiness of my weight affect other aspects of my life. Eventually I started to love the gym! It was an amazing way to destress from work and other aspects of life! But along side that, I walk a minimum of 3 miles a day, and swim minimum 3 times per week. I live in a town where unless you love getting really drunk every weekend - you don't really tend to develop much of a social circle. So as someone who doesn't drink at all - its very difficult to find someone to exercise with. Best thing to do is to set yourself mini-goals whilst you're exercising. Challenge yourself. I work 15 hour days 7 days a week. So each time I exercise I set myself a mini goal to try and take 30 secs less for each mile I walk. I don't 'deprive' myself of any kind of food - but I keep 'moderation' in the forefront of my mind. If I feel a junk food craving coming on, I will drink a bucket load of water so I feel more full, and plan somewhere to go the next day to indulge in my junk food craving, but still keeping in balance with my calorie allowance for the day. Don't look at it as changing your lifestyle, look at it like breaking a bad habit or two. Don't villanise the things you want to change, it just makes it all seem like a bigger mountain to climb than it really is!
  • Mullerboy
    Options
    I think the key to dieting success is to think of the hare and the tortoise!!!
  • meankeen
    meankeen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    by seeing noticeable gains, ofc
  • bbvsusan
    Options
    I'm making this my hobby. I track, study my tracking, think on it …. plan meals, plan exercise … It's kinda fun.
  • LaurieMellor123
    LaurieMellor123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    YUP,A year (almost) for me. I Was hypnotized last January and with my determination and strength, I am down 45 lbs...We aren't supposed to be weighing ourselves, but I had to know how well I was doing, right? I am new to MFP as well.Going to use it to it's full potential,I have 45 more lbs to lose!
  • LaurieMellor123
    LaurieMellor123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good thing!
  • cindy326
    cindy326 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I started Jan 20,2013. I set a goal to be at my target weight by March..I laugh now looking back. Its been almost 1 year and Im almost to my goal weight. Hind sight I wouldnt change a thing. When I reached march of last year i was a little bummed but then I said HEY you made it this far and it wasnt terrible you can keep going. Then I got into a routine. I log my whole day in the morning.I plan everything in advance. This helps me see A. How much do I need to exercise today & B. what else can eat to reach my calorie goal. I try to get as close as I can without going over. I eat what I want and I pay close attention to portion sizes. I use measuring cups/spoons and a scale to be as accurate as I can. I sarted jogging and I love it. I look forward to my workouts. Its time I get alone and I feel better mentally afterwards. My jouney hasnt been perfect, I have "fallen off the wagon" a few times but I am happy with myself and my progress. Good luck to you on your journey.