HOW TO LOWER BODY FAT PERCENTAGE??????

Options
2»

Replies

• Juniper3411
    Juniper3411 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I just got my bf% and it was 33 :( I'm 154 pounds 5'5. I was really kind of shocked becasue even though I need to lose weight, I didn't think I looked that horrible...and any pics you see of a woman who is in the 33% range looks way worse then I do...

It's so confusing!
  • pri0810
    pri0810 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I weigh in using the scales at Boots, and my body fat percentage and hight changes every weigh in, so I don't really trust those results.

I agree... first i was one height and then my height change an hour later
  • DJ478
    DJ478 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • DJ478
    DJ478 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Rosannajo88
    Rosannajo88 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I also used to get my body fat readings at boots, then I had it done at my GP and realised it was off by quite a bit and I am actually alot fatter than I had hoped lol x

Anyway the first thing I would suggest is go get a bang on accurate reading at your GP, then schedule a monthly check in with your nurse to keep an eye on it.

Eat at a deficit and work out, be it cario or weights or a combination of the both, as long as you are moving more and eating right then your will get your results :) x
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself this morning at Boots and got a reading for my body fat percentage too. I was astounded to find out its over 30%!!!!

Does anyone have any recommendations on how I could reduce this?

Thanks

If you used an ELECTRONIC scale, if you're dehydrated, you'll see a % change of up to 7-8% or more.

So... don't drink water for 24 hours and you'll be 20% body fat...

Don't do it.... it's dangerous obv lol.

Point is, electronic scales are NOT accurate.
  • Rachelc1992
    Rachelc1992 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Bump!! Had my test and I was 38% argh!!! Want to reduce it to 30% in 13 weeks? Possible? Tips for this or as close to?

More cardio? Specific exercises? Weights?

What's worked for you?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Bump!! Had my test and I was 38% argh!!! Want to reduce it to 30% in 13 weeks? Possible? Tips for this or as close to?

More cardio? Specific exercises? Weights?

What's worked for you?

Cardio does not lead to a lower BF%. A caloric deficit leads to weight loss, this can be done with diet alone, or a combo of diet and cardio (the cardio allows you to eat more making it easier to adhear to). To lower BF% combine a caloric deficit (set a goal to lose no more than 1lb/week and eat back cals burned from exercise, of do TDEE -15%), take part in a progressive heavy lifting strength training program (strong lifts 5x5, starting strength, New Rules of Lifting, etc), and get adequate protein (a good target is 0.8 grams per lb of goal body weight as a minimum).

The caloric deficit will lead to weight loss, the strength training + protein will lead to muscle retention, meaning most of what you lose will be fat. Without the strength training and enough protein a large % of the weight loss will come from lean muscle.
  • mrschains
    mrschains Posts: 12
    Options
    When I first started this process, I went to my local fitness center and used the BodPod. I was 168lbs and 54% body fat. I was absolutely mortified. In the past 6 months, I have dropped from 168 to 130. I've gone from 54% body fat to 25%. I'm eating 1200 calories a day. I do cardio for 30 minutes and weight training for 30 minutes 3 times a week. I don't eat back my calories at all. I get regular blood work from my dr and I work with a nutritionist and dietician to make sure that I'm doing this in the healthiest manner possible. Because of my weight, I was on a total of 22 different prescription medications in January. I'm down to 1 prescription medication each day. If you can't do an hour of working out 3 times a week, then I would highly recommend crossfit or HIIT. It can be done. I'm only 6% away from the ideal body fat percentage that we set for me and I am more healthy than I've ever been in my life.