Herniated Disk at L5 and S1

Options
I have herniated my disk at L5 and S1 (Lower Back). The disk is pushing on nerves sending pain down my leg. Since I have hurt myself I have not been able to work out or work. I am renewing my vows in July and really need to get back into shape. I have been through physical therapy and had an epidural shot, nothing has worked. I am currently waiting to hear back from the surgeon on a surgery date. I am just wondering if there is any exercises I can do that will not further hurt myself. This is a work related injury and do not want to compromise anything. I just need to know is there anything else I can do besides the elliptical and walking. I know I need to strengthen my core just wondering how to do this?

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Just to let you know that after months of putting up with it, my partner had surgery for this. He is now a 'new man'.

He found cycling was OK- the doctor agreed he could do this too.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    walking - swimming and if cycling is not painful or a matter of discomfort then go for it. Do not lift - no body weight - no nothing!
  • jen_fitnhappy
    jen_fitnhappy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you are going through this. My husband has the SAME EXACT injury and pain!! He has been on prescribed pain medicine for years and a recently had a flare up of the pain you described. His pain medicine was no longer working. I've been researching anything that might help and was reminded of something he used years ago... Capsaicin HP. This is an over the counter cream you rub on your back (or where the pain is). He rubs it where the herniation is and it completely relieves the nerve pain in his back and down his leg!! Please know though that the cream is verrrrrry hot when you rub it in and you must wear gloves. Only use a little bit. The premise is that the heat goes down and literally numbs the nerve. After several uses you don't notice the sting anymore.Research it yourself (I like to read amazon etc reviews). He was contemplating surgery too. It's hard to believe that something over the counter is working, but it does :) Good luck and please let me know if you have any questions.
  • AsianSuperfly
    AsianSuperfly Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Bump.I am going to look into this

Sorry to hear you are going through this. My husband has the SAME EXACT injury and pain!! He has been on prescribed pain medicine for years and a recently had a flare up of the pain you described. His pain medicine was no longer working. I've been researching anything that might help and was reminded of something he used years ago... Capsaicin HP. This is an over the counter cream you rub on your back (or where the pain is). He rubs it where the herniation is and it completely relieves the nerve pain in his back and down his leg!! Please know though that the cream is verrrrrry hot when you rub it in and you must wear gloves. Only use a little bit. The premise is that the heat goes down and literally numbs the nerve. After several uses you don't notice the sting anymore.Research it yourself (I like to read amazon etc reviews). He was contemplating surgery too. It's hard to believe that something over the counter is working, but it does :) Good luck and please let me know if you have any questions.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Speak to your physio and doctor. Ask what they recommend. You really don't want to do anything that could make it worse or complicate matters. Losing weight is primarily about diet. Sensibly control your diet and you'll lose weight and once your back is sorted you can then exercise.
  • Tykk
    Tykk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have also been diagnosed with a herniated disc. It sounds like yours is worse, but I throw mine out once or twice a year and can barely walk for weeks on end.

My physio prescribed exercises, which I'm sure yours did as well. The message was clearly to avoid strenuous exercise until it had healed and until her strengthening exercises had had time to do their job. And in general to avoid anything that involves bending over forwards.

Like Jen's husband, I find cycling works well for exercise.

I have also been recommended to see an osteopath, but haven't done that yet.
  • seven3
    seven3 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Been there. In 2005 I was starting the fall cyclocross racing season with strong finishes, when I began having pain in my right calf and numb toes on my right foot. It worsened, and an MRI confirmed an L5/S1herniation. I wanted to avoid surgery, so I tried physical therapy. The therapist told me that there was no way to "work through" this injury, because any exercise that produced back or leg pain indicated continued aggravation and inflammation of the nerve root. He did, however, strongly recommend any sort of non-impact exercise that did not worsen the symptoms, because increased blood flow to the spine will help to heal it. In my case, I was able to ride a stationary bike and swim, so that's what I did. By the following February, I was able to ride a couple of late-season races. Since then, I've had a few flare-ups, but no surgery. Keep in mind that this injury is very subjective and case-specific, so your recoverry may take a different path. For many people, surgery is the only thing that works. The good news is that microdiscectomy surgery is very advanced now, and is usually quite successful. Whichever option you choose, best of luck to you.
  • nbelt
    nbelt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I went to the gym yesterday and did a little bit of time on the treadmill, elliptical, and stationary bike. I feel like even though I did not work out hard and sweat a lot I feel accomplished! I have felt like I could not do anything for the past few months and now knowing I can makes me feel better! I will also be dieting but I am really trying to strengthen my core before surgery.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Speak to your physio and doctor. Ask what they recommend. You really don't want to do anything that could make it worse or complicate matters. Losing weight is primarily about diet. Sensibly control your diet and you'll lose weight and once your back is sorted you can then exercise.
    This. My back is fused from T1-T10 and my entire Lumbar spine is curved forward (Lumbar lordois). I would only ask your doctor or physio about what is appropriate for you.