Calling All Runners

Options
2»

Replies

• BluesGuitar
    Options
    I have the Forerunner 210 with the HR monitor and have only great things to say about it. I think the Garmin Connect site you upload your info is lacking a bit on the esthetics department, though technically it incorporates all of the relevant data an athlete would want to look at.
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I use my phone app to track these thing.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I use my phone app to track these thing.

I used the phone app for a long time. It definitely gets the job done and is more affordable. That said, I still prefer a dedicated GPS. They are more accurate plus it's much easier to get the info. It was pretty hard to see your phone on your arm to get all your info. I like beig able to check my pace and distance at various points (although voice feedback most apps have will give you the info you want at specified intervals). I find the watch much easier for pacing tempo runs and speed intervals.

It all depends on what you are doing and what you want.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I am also looking at Garmin Forerunner 220 but they dont offer bluetooth HRM,

Why do you need a BTLE HR strap? Do you already own one?

ANT+ works perfectly fine for all purposes. Watch + HR strap would do fine whether its ANT+ or BTLE or whatever.

I've got a Garmin FR 405. Been fine, but has had some issues - but given the environment I've put it though (negative temps through 105F+, dry, wet, rain, snow), not many.

The FR 220 is pretty neat. I personally want to upgrade to a 620 for the additional features, but that's just me.

If you don't want HR (and you probably do) the FR 10 is a good choice.
    You DO NOT want the Forerunner 70. It's not a GPS watch!

you could find a FR 210 for a good deal now that the 220 is out. The 220 was a very good watch too.
    The FR 110 isn't a bad deal, if you don't want to program run-walk/off-on intervals (that and foot pods for treadmills are what you get with the 210).

I've got two problems with Polar's watches: #1 they seem expensive for what you get. #2 they don't use an open protocol. Garmin/Timex/everyone else uses ANT+, which is open source. You can use a Timex watch, a Garmin HR strap, and a Trek speed sensor no problem. Polar's closed protocol means you always use Polar's accessories. I'm sure their next watches will be BTLE, but the watches they have out right now aren't.

So Timex also makes GPS + HR watches. A few other companies do too. DCRainmaker has a decent slice of the market covered, but he's missing some options. If you can navigate through letsrun.com's forums you can find some other options too.