Is a Fitbit worth it?

Options
Hi, I'm considering buying a Fitbit-One for myself and a second one my husband (his birthday), but I'm wondering if it is really worth it?

My husband is not someone who logs anything -- food, exercise, etc. Would he really get any use out of it?

Has it helped anyone lose more weight than they would have otherwise (a question for me).

Thanks for any input -- positive or negative. I really am on the fence about this purchase.

Replies

• bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I got a Fitbit One for Christmas and I love it!! It is a great motivator. I have my goal steps for the day at 10,000. I've met that goal only 3 times, but it really gets me going. I think it has helped me get over a bit of a plateau I was on just because I am trying to move more to reach my goal. I love seeing it sync with MFP and seeing what exercise calories it gives me. I don't eat the calories but it's still cool to see it.

I wear it clicked to the inside of my bra.
  • kholcomb51
    kholcomb51 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I got Fitbit Ones for myself and my husband for Christmas and he already lost his! He was wearing it at the time, at least, but I think I should have gone for the Force or the Flex for him, since they'd be harder to lose track of.

I'm enjoying mine, though. I was sick of using a pedometer app that would reset itself in the middle of a hike or whatever. This is reliable, and does inspire me to hit more steps a day, and more stairs! I can't say whether it's helping me lose more weight.

I like the sync with MFP and the sleep tracker.
  • oc1timoco
    oc1timoco Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Yes...
  • egrusy
    egrusy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to buy just one to start and give it to him. See if it "takes" or not, whether or not he gets any use out of it, and if it so buy a second one otherwise take it from him for you to use and then get him something else for his birthday. Just a thought :smile:

ETA: I have the Zip and I LOVE it! It does indeed motivate me to move more.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    It's a fun gadget that is especially good for people who don't regularly follow a vigorous exercise plan. I've had two that were gifts. The problem for me is that the Fitbits that clip on are easily lost. I currently can't find mine (currently, the Fitbit One). If I were to buy one I'd get the version that's worn on the wrist that syncs wirelessly.
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    My husband bought me and him the One for Christmas and we love it!!!! I can see where my low days are and my high days and adjust my calories accordingly. Whereas MFP is just a number regardless of your daily activity.
    The one issue...Its very small and easy to lose. For me...not so bad b/c I attach it to my bra so there is no chance of it accidentally falling off. My husband puts it on his waistband and over the holdiays he did lose it. Took us 3hrs to search the backyard...but we found it.

Overall - highly recommend!!!
  • jmg9656
    jmg9656 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, great info. It seems like losing the Fitbit-One is a key issue. :-(

I can't see either one of us wanting to use the wrist versions.

One more question -- do I have to upgrade my MFP account to sync fitbit? I'm guessing that I do...

Thanks again!
  • orangmocha
    orangmocha Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You don't have to upgrade MFP to use it. You just sync your fitbit account through the apps page on MFP.
  • sparkerwallace
    sparkerwallace Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't believe that you do need to upgrade your account to sync your fitbit. At least, I didn;t.

I think that a Fitbit might be good for someone who doesn't track many things, because since it counts for you, it can be any easy motivator. You might not want to go to the gym or know how much exercise you've gotten during the week because you don't track anything. But if you've always got a number looking at you every day counting your steps and a goal number to acheive, I think it would be really helpful and ideal.

Just my thoughts, though.
  • Kellllog
    Kellllog Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have a Flex; which I think is fab! It's really motivating to keep me moving.
  • shimmygirl411
    shimmygirl411 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Bump....thinking of getting a FitBit as well. Thanks for the useful information.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    You don't have to upgrade MFP. You just have to select Fitbit as one of your Apps so that it will sync automatically. I have heard of the ones getting lost easily, but I always clipped mine to my bra and never lost it. I did forget to put it on a few times though... but stick it next to your toothbrush or something so it's part of your morning routine to put it on and part of your evening routine to take it off. I use the Flex now, and I love it. It syncs with my phone so I don't have to wait until I get to a computer to sync it.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I have had the original fitbit for 2 years. I washed it once and killed it and they replaced it free of charge, and then for some odd reason the new one just stopped working after about 6 month, and again they replaced it! I hook mine on my jeans pocket without the clip, and don't have any issues with it staying there. I like it, because it reminds me on my low activity days to also keep my cals lower. My next device however will probably be the Lumo Back Posture Sensor because I have lousy posture.
  • gman1232
    Options
    I wear it clicked to the inside of my bra.

Guess I better get a bra :laugh:
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend bought me a fitbit one for Christmas and I LOVE it! Here's why:

1) It motivates me to get 10000 steps in a day.
    2) It syncs so easily with myfitnesspal.
    3) It gives me a much better calorie burn estimate and has allowed me to plan my meals more appropriately.
    4) The sleep pattern function is amazing. It motivates me to go to bed earlier to get more hours of shut-eye in.
    5) It has a clock on it and I hate wearing a watch. (Haha!)

I seriously swear I don't work for fitbit. I just adore this thing.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I have the Flex, and I really love it because I don't have to log my cardio anymore (only if I want to).

I'm such a gadget geek now. I run with my Flex, Endomondo and a heart rate monitor. Heheh.
  • SkinnyMel78
    SkinnyMel78 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    yes, yes, yes!!! I have a zip and love it, but I hear that they are all great! So worth the investment! Also I think it helps keep me motivated. I love knowing how many steps/miles I walked per day. Also I enjoy the friendly competition from some of my friends who have one.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I been wearing my flex 24/7 since received. Yes, it's worth it. That's how I figured out I was overeating (bulking, which resulted in great musculature) unintentionally :laugh:

Anyway, I stopped tapping it every time I go to bed. Laziness. The vibrate/silent alarm stopped working on mine. But it still tracks my tdee and considering the abuse I give it, I still love it.

So for $50 -100 bucks, yeah, way worth it.

I never tried any of the other trackers.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit one. However, if I were to buy one today, I'd go for the wristband style. When your fitbit is in your pocket, it can be lost...or in my case - go through the washer (thank heavens it still worked). Spend the few dollars extra and get the wristband style - it is a great motivator since it's in plain sight all the time.

Good luck!
  • jmg9656
    jmg9656 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone -- I really appreciate the info!