Does anyone else have a problem with too high of heart rate?

Options
2»

Replies

• wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    OP, if you are concerned about your heart rate, the best thing to do is see your doctor - not just rely on advice on the internet.

Having said that, I agree totally with tigersword and johnwhitent.

The 220-age formula is at best a VERY ROUGH guideline. It is a good place to start when you are starting from nothing, but it is not at all a hard and fast rule.

I'm 45, so by the formula my max HR should be 175... except I know my max HR is well above that.

If 175 was my max, then 90% would be 158... I run 4 - 5 days a week (about 20 - 25miles a week total). On my runs, my heart rate settles in at about 160 - 165 for my normal sustained pace and spikes into the high 170s on high effort segments (hills or sprints).

I have had long runs where I've been above 180 for extended periods of time (20 - 25 minutes or more).

If 175 was my max HR, then I would not physically be able to sustain that rate.

Now, I didn't start out running at that kind of effort when I took up running two years ago... I was stuck following the 220-age formula and wondering how I would ever be able to run when even walking would put me into the 140s - 150s.

As I read about it, I realized that the 220-age is just a guideline. Every individual is unique.

I'm not suggesting you go out and start running/sprinting at extreme effort right away, but talk to your doctor and then slowly find where your comfort zone is with Max HR.

For me, the reality is that my MaxHR is probably somewhere around 200 - a full 25 points above the 220-age formula.

When I base my workouts around that, I get much better results - but as I've said: everyone is different. You need to find what works for you.

Ted
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I'm the same, mine has even been over 200!
    but thats about as much input as i have to this
    but yes you aren't alone :flowerforyou:
  • khop18
    khop18 Posts: 6
    Options
    I'm pretty sure your max heart rate is higher than 199.

It's nice to have an opinion. It's even better to have an INFORMED one. See:

http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/everyone/measuring/heartrate.html

Where it states that your maximum heart rate can be estimated by subtracting your age from 220. In her case, 220 - 21 = 199
    Except that I know for a FACT that 220-age is a very rough approximation with a HUGE standard deviation, that is generally inaccurate for most people, especially females. My opinion is very well informed, thank you. I can think of roughly a dozen different heart rate equations off the top of my head, none of which are as accurate as VO2 Max testing.

So I can believe the Center for Disease Control, funded by billions of dollars of research, OR some random guy on the internet. Hmmm, let's see. Which should I choose?

Sorry Tucker, but Tiger is correct. It states very clearly on the CDC website that it is an ESTIMATE. It is not to be taken as a solid figure. There are at least a dozen ways to calculate a HR Zone during exercise. While that estimate may be OK for some, if there are ANY questions or concerns about the BPS being seen during exercise, a doctor should be consulted.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Interesting. It has long been known that the 220-age equation is inaccurate for a decent-sized minority of the population. It's thought that up to ~30% of individuals have max HR +/- ~20bpm off what the equation says.

However, as has been pointed out, most major sites (shame on you, CDC) still stick with it. Which isn't awful, but can be frustrating.

So, on to the links:

1. A more accurate equation proposed. Also, see list of related articles off to the right to really dig into the topic.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11153730

2. They start with the old formula, but in the end point out: "Your actual maximum heart rate is most accurately determined by a medically supervised maximal graded exercise test."
    http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/prevention/exercise/pulse-target-heart-rate.aspx

It's not really a complicated concept, as with the online calorie calculators. The standard equations work for a lot of people, but not everyone. As others have said, it would be wise to consult your doc to find out exactly what YOUR situation is, as you're getting started.

Best wishes for your success!
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    To all of you that suggested i am not very conditioned - I've been doing cardio for 14 months now and this is now coming to my attention. I have asthma that often causes severe pain in my diaphram while running...so this is usually going on when i speed walk on higher inclines. If that changes anything or helps. I also have anxiety disorder...i know that can screw with your heart a little.

I don't think that people mean to imply that you are not fit, but this is posted in a general forum which will be read by people of varying fitness levels, and when talking about stressing the heart caution should abound. You really do need advice from a medical professional; all the talk about numbers is purely speculative if if don't know your true max hr. Those of us posting here want to help, but we aren't qualified to assess you personal health and capacity for strenuous exercise. And experiencing pain just puts an explanation point on the need for professional medical advice. I hate going to doctors, but there are times when it is the appropriate thing to do, and this is one of them. I routinely train at above 85% max hr, but that doesn't mean that you should. You need to know your true max hr and you need clearance from a medical professional to engage in strenuous activity. For what it's worth, I bought a book to study up on heart rates, "Heart Rate Training", which I found very informative.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

How do you manage your heart rate while working out? I've done a lot of reading that suggests anything over 85% of your max heart rate can be dangerous.
    I'm curious where you read that it can be dangerous. Here's what the AHA says-

So what’s in a number?
    If your target heart rate is too high, you’re straining. So slow down. If it’s too low, and the intensity feels “light” or “moderate/brisk,” push yourself to exercise a little harder. During the first few weeks of working out, aim for the lowest part of your target zone (50 percent). Then, gradually build up to the higher part (85 percent). After six months or more, you may be able to exercise comfortably at up to 85 percent of your maximum heart rate. But you don't have to exercise that hard to stay in shape.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/PhysicalActivity/Target-Heart-Rates_UCM_434341_Article.jsp
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I'm 21 and I have seen my heart rate go into the 200s before. Yes it may be dangerous but I'm fine and it's happened many of times. And yes you can track it with a Heart rate monitor (hrm) google that you will get millions of hits
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I'm 38. Been a regular exerciser for about 15 years. Last time I did Tabata sprints on the treadmill, my max HR per my Polar F11 was 217.

That's normal for me. I also had a treadmill stress test at a cardiologist a few years back to make sure that my normal was OK. It's perfectly fine for me.

But nobody can give you medical advice via the Interweb.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I was doing my yoga certification and was a total gym rat and then even my yoga classes got really difficult. I knew something was up, but that's because I had been doing the same thing so consistently. A beginner might just think that's how exercise is.

But I walked into the doc and my heart rate measured over 200 after sitting and waiting to see him! I got tested for thyroid disorders (and wore a heart monitor, etc), but in the end it's probably due to a connective tissue disorder I have. I take a beta blocker, and now my rate when I see the nurse is in the 60's.

I don't know what the rate is to get concerned, but just see your doc and ask. If your next appointment isn't for a while, the nurse could probably tell you if you need to come in for it, too (or not come in), I'd think.