Anorexia recovery on my own: am I eating too much?

Options
13»

Replies

• There's about 3000 calories in 1lb of fat. What you're eating right now honestly still sounds like a diet plan - there's not a lot of calories in celery or cottage cheese, and I don't think you're eating enough in general to be gaining. Have three breakfasts, and no, I'm not kidding. Eat more when you're burning more energy, less when you need less energy. I think you're right to be getting all the nutrients from fruits and vegetables in there, but you need some high fat, high protein and high calorie foods in there too. Ice cream and chocolate aren't nutritious but they're not the enemy either. You will not get fat. You will get healthy.

Also, it's a good idea to talk to a professional. Even if you can fix your weight by yourself it's possible you're not addressing the underlying psychological cause of your eating disorder. I'm speaking here from personal experience. Either way, I wish you all the best.
  • annajanee14
    Options
    You're definitely not eating too much! Also, you are not gaining weight super fast! it is most likely just an enema or mass amounts of water retention which is characteristic of eating disorder recovery. This can make it seem like you've gained 7-16 more lbs than you actually have but your body does this in order to protect your organs in fear that you may continue to starve at some point. it is not real weight gain and it is not real fat it will eventually go down in time if you do not restrictively eat. here is a link to a very informative website that will tell you what to expect in recovery. if you know what to expect chances of a relapse are much less likely:)
    http://www.youreatopia.com/blog/2012/11/23/phases-of-recovery-from-a-restrictive-eating-disorder.html
  • dontgobacktosleep
    dontgobacktosleep Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I was actively anorexic for 8 years from ages 19 to 26.

You need to get off MFP. People mean well but recovery is a very dangerous situation. No, 1800 is not enough. See "I Need How Many Calories?!!": http://www.youreatopia.com/blog/2011/9/14/i-need-how-many-calories.html

Keep in mind if you elect to recover yourself you are at risk for refeeding syndrome (you can have a heart attack).

This is not the time for you to be soliciting advice from anyone but doctors with experience treating people with ED's, as well as a counselor and possibly dietitian.

Good luck to you.

I second this, please get yourself to professionals who can help you. Much love.
  • Adrianachiarato
    Adrianachiarato Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    First of all, well done! It's not easy to deal with eating disorders!

I don't think you are eating too much at all. Just a quick question, are you vegetarian? I ask because I don't see meat in your meals and I believe you could use it considering you are borderline anemic.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    You should NOT seek medical advice regarding anorexia or any other life-threatening condition from a message board! Why is this thread still open??
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any suggestions for meal plans on your own?

My local HyVee store has hired a dietician who is available to the public for free to help them with their dietary needs. If you cannot afford to pay for someone's services, maybe check with local big chain grocery stores in your area and see if they offer a similar public service. I'm sure they will recommend products available at the store, however, they should be able to help you set up a meal plan to fit in your budget and your preferences (vegetarian). The one locally also coordinates with other people at the store to provide healthy recipes and cooking demonstrations. Might be worth checking into. Congrats on recognizing your need for getting your health back and best of luck on your journey!
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    THIS is all that needs to be said below. Good luck on your journey x
    Sweetheart, my heart goes out to you. I was anorexic when I was eleven years old, and I had to be hospitalized and back then, they didn't have the kinds of treatment centers that they have now; I had to go to a mental hospital for children.

I wish, in retrospect, that I had received therapy in my years following the hospital, because I have struggled with food issues my whole life.

I would first highly recommend, and, quite frankly, beg you to engage in a relationship with a therapist. A psychiatrist would be best, because a psychiatrist can prescribe medication. You probably also suffer--because I recognize it in myself as well--from obsessive compulsive disorder, and there are anti-depressants out there that can help you to reach a better level of peace with yourself.

A good therapist will work with you to address your anxiety and depression issues. I see a therapist and I take anti-depressants, and it has helped my life so much.

And I TOTALLY, TOTALLY understand your obsession about NOT WANTING TO GET FAT. I was completely like you when I was eighteen. I was a perfectionist, and I still am, by the way, and I got so thin at one point I stopped menstruating.

I hope you find peace and nourishment in your life. Your body deserves to be well fed. A well fed body is a well nourished body, and a body that can work and play and live and love.

I am fifty now. I AM FIFTY! And I love my life and I feel great about my life and I feel comfortable in my skin in a way that I didn't when I was eighteen.

And here's the ironic thing. I carry a weight on my body now, that if someone had told me, at eighteen, I'd be carrying on my frame when I turned fifty, I would've put my eighteen-year-old head into an oven.

I am surprised when I see photos of myself, even at this weight, for I am astonished to see that I still look pretty good! I may look chubby in some photos, but my life is rich and full, EVEN WITH this extra weight I'm carrying and trying to lose. I won't ever get as thin as I was when I was eighteen. I would be dying from cancer if I got that thin. I'm working to achieve a goal of weight that I think I can sustain and still enjoy my life and not drive my husband too crazy by telling him, even today, "I think I ate too much."

Please, please, PLEASE see a therapist. Anorexia is too lonely an illness to be dealt with alone. I'm glad you've come this far on your own, but it is okay to get help. I understand completely, how hard it is for people to get mental health counseling, because there's still a stigma against it.

I should know!

My own beloved father, now gone, was a psychiatrist! And it was the hardest thing I've ever done, when I summoned up the courage to tell my parents that I was seeing a therapist.

Love,

Denise
  • Nancy_hc
    Nancy_hc Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You should NOT seek medical advice regarding anorexia or any other life-threatening condition from a message board! Why is this thread still open??

This. You need to find someone who can help you not only with your eating habbits but also with what the underlying issues are.
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    "I have absolutely no idea how to eat " I've said this I don't know how many times in the past few months and people just don't get it. After doing a lot of reading I fear my path to weight loss left me anorexic (probably should've gotten concerned when my periods stopped for eight months) or at least with definite anxieties regarding food. I can't afford the help so I'm trying to recover on my own too. Best of luck to you. Add me if you like. Had I known what I would become I probably would've just stayed at the weight I was as this is no way to live.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Your college may have a student health center where you can get some advice about higher protein vegetarian foods too! It really sounds like you just need more protein and more calories. I would advocate for you to try and set MFP to gain a pound a week and try to eat all those calories along with the calories you exercise away. If your school is large enough or has a dietician program you may be able to get some free advice there as well in addition. Remember: Curves are Beautiful :)

^^THIS. Your student health center should have resources on both vegetarianism and recovery.

Do measure and track your food, though, to make sure your portions are what you think they are. Make sure you get at least as much protein and calcium as the macros recommend (and extra protein wouldn't hurt).
  • unamoss
    unamoss Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Beautiful post Denise, straight from the heart.

Kiddo, get yourself to your campus health center. They have resources that you can tap into. Best of luck to you.:smile:
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on working to get better.

Since you asked about your meal plan, I'd suggest trying to get some more protein into your diet. Greek yogurt, or even just a couple of glasses of milk* (whole milk if you can; no shame in starting with a lower-fat option if you're not ready for that yet) would be decent starting places, along with an egg or two.

*As I read your post, you're aiming for a lacto-ovo vegetarian diet.
  • Gigigirls
    Gigigirls Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    First of all, I want to echo the sentiments of those who are cheering you on or working to get better. Recovering from anorexia is a long and hard road, to be sure. You are not eating too much, so no worries there. I do agree with the community members who note that you might consider adding in a bit more protein. I am vegan and rely on tofu (and other soy products) for the bulk of my protein intake. I recommend strongly that you get to your Campus Health Center. When I was in College, I was still an active anorexic (on-and-off) and eventually sought treatment through my campus's health center. I was resistant at first, because change is hard; however, I credit the services offered by my College with helping to turn things around for me and for helping me to develop a healthier relationship with food. Don't get me wrong; managing an anorexic mindset is a life-long journey. However, with the work that you do, you get better with time (and you've already come so far).

Keep up the good work, seek out support from your Campus Health Center, and keep checking in!
  • macelmer
    macelmer Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if this would be helpful to you or not, but since I have Crohn's disease and am frequently malnourished; I found that it is helpful to measure out the servings of my food instead of "eyeballing" it. When I just guess at the servings, I am under the measurements, but using a food scale and measuring cups has helped me to eat more. I also eat more snacks during the day, and I aim for 150 calories or more per snack. I have trouble eating breakfast, so at lunch I aim for 400 calories and dinner 550-600. Right now I am trying for 1850 calories a day...it is hard to hit sometimes with my symptoms (and I generally increase by 50 calories every few weeks until I hit my goal weight). I also found that drinking calories works just as well. Bolthouse Farms makes some good drinks, they are in the refrigerated section of your produce dept at the grocery store. They are high in calories and taste really good. I wish you the best of luck and agree with others that going to your campus health dept or a dietician can help you stay on the right track.