Is Fitbit worth it?

Options
Hi, I'm considering buying a Fitbit-One for myself and a second one for my husband (his birthday), but I'm wondering if it is really worth it?

My husband is not someone who logs anything -- food, exercise, etc. Would he really get any use out of it?

Has it helped anyone lose more weight than they would have otherwise (a question for me).

Thanks for any input -- positive or negative. I really am on the fence about this purchase.

Replies

• Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I think it's a waste of money.

People overthink things way too much when it comes to weight loss.. there's no need to micromanage everything. It just stresses you out and makes you want to quit. Logging my food is enough for me.

As long as you eat, sleep, and work out consistently there's no need for a Fitbit. I've lost 45lbs with just staying consistent.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Use the Search feature and search fitbit here on the forums - there are many threads on this very question, and you'll find tons of info from people who love it, and people who think it's a waste of money. :smile:
  • gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    I think it's a personal choice based on your weight loss strategy. Personally, I use an HRM to get an idea of the calories I burn in a workout. I have been very specific and micro-managed the process in the past. This is just the type of person I am though and it works for me. I would prefer if I could just focus on healthy food in my belly and exercising each week without having to count calories etc, but that's just not how I function. So, again, personal choice based on your strategy and really, what works for you.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I had a Fitbit One. It was very nice. Then it fell off. Fitbit have amazing customer service, they sent me a free replacement. Then I put that one through a washing machine. It still worked, because they are made of magic. Then it fell off. After losing two of them because the clip isn't good enough I abandoned the idea and got a Flex, which I love. And it doesn't fall off. So yeah, Fitbits are great, but I'd recommend the wrist-mounting ones (they're slightly less accurate and don't have an altimeter but they have the big advantage of not disappearing on a regular basis).
  • badwolfIO
    badwolfIO Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I got the FitBit Flex for Christmas. I probably wouldn't have bought one myself. But as a gift. Cool.
    It's really more for fun than anything else. I don't see it causing me to lose more weight. But, on the other hand I did hop on the treadmill last night (when I would have stayed on the couch) when I realized that I hadn't gotten to my step goal yet.
  • jmg9656
    jmg9656 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, great info. One more question -- do I have to upgrade my MFP account to sync fitbit?

Thanks again!
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Flex and I find that it does motivate me. I set alarms to buzz at 10 am and 2:30 pm. At my former job, when it vibrated, a coworker and I would go for a 1/2 mile walk down a long hallway. (I'm still trying to figure out how to incorporate an indoor walk at my new job.) I'm looking forward to SPRING so I can be outside. We've got a -50 windchill going on right now -- not good for outdoor exercise.

I like the Flex because I don't "have" to take it off. Although I do take it off at night and put it on after my shower. (It's safe to wear it in the shower, but I just don't want to wear it.)

If your husband hasn't expressed any interest in exercise or a Fitbit, he probably won't use it and it would be a waste of $. I know my hubs wouldn't wear it. He doesn't even wear a watch. He does always empty his pockets at night, so at least he'd remember to take the Fitbit One out.
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, great info. One more question -- do I have to upgrade my MFP account to sync fitbit?

Thanks again!

Nope!! You just click on the Apps tab at the top and sync your MFP to your Fitbit account. :)
  • KaylaBushman
    Options
    I have the Jawbone UP which is the same type of device just a different brand.

I tried doing MFP calorie counting and it was frustrating, then found the TDEE method and all calculators say I range between 1700-2200 calories burned So I upped my calories and still wasn't losing weight.

Got the Up band, and realized that I burn on an average about 1600-1800 calories Not 1700-2200. so it was eye opening in that aspect.

I have adjusted my calories in the system to be set right at 1600 and now I am losing. I love that I can sync it with my phone and see that I have only burned 1400 calories for the day and so I need to eat a little less in order to maintain my weight loss.

But it is only helpful because I log calories. It has other fun features but as far as weight loss goes, it only helps me lose weight if I log calories.
  • Branawesomer
    Branawesomer Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I have a One and I love it! Its definitely helped me in terms of losing weight since it keeps track of your calories. It doesn't have the hrm so if you want to track heart rate, you need to get one but no biggie. I found out I wan't eating enough and that's why I wasn't losing. Once i got it, things got on track and they went well. I've forgotten it a couple times but its bound to happen. I keep mine clipped to my bra :D
  • jmg9656
    jmg9656 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone -- I really appreciate the info!
  • ElGordoyFeo
    ElGordoyFeo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I recently bought the FitBit zip as I thought this was the most cost-effective.
    And it is! Nice gadget - very very small!
    I can still enter activities here on MFP but the zip logs all my steps, I don't have to worry about how long was I walking the dog etc
    And it al syncs together . . nice