Are Carbs are the devil!

Options
2»

Replies

• TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    There are good carbs and bad carbs issue is everyone loads on the bad carbs keeping them fat in result is that all carbs are bad. If you kept carbs under 20g a day you would notice more weight loss.

Ah, the Mark Sisson Carbohydrate Curve ... Such a work of utter stupidity ...

I have a Grok t-shirt by the way ...

The 'science' is still BS though. ;)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I am going to try to keep my macros in check and eat more protein. My goals are to put on more muscle over time and lift heavy.
    When I need to do a distance run, I will make sure to eat more carbs.

81035-SNL-Satan-created-the-Internet-sC7y.gif

So when I'm able to exercise carbs will be more important now that I'm not able to exercise do you think?

I meant when I run over 9 miles for my long run for the week make sure I eat more and carb load a few days in advance, in addition to what I normally eat. Probably more confusing that what you are asking.
    I don't fear carbs. I just try to keep a 40% protien 30% carb 30% fat ratio (that I never seem to manage)
  • FabulouslyMade
    Options
    I am going to try to keep my macros in check and eat more protein. My goals are to put on more muscle over time and lift heavy.
    When I need to do a distance run, I will make sure to eat more carbs.

81035-SNL-Satan-created-the-Internet-sC7y.gif

So when I'm able to exercise carbs will be more important now that I'm not able to exercise do you think?

I meant when I run over 9 miles for my long run for the week make sure I eat more and carb load a few days in advance, in addition to what I normally eat. Probably more confusing that what you are asking.
    I don't fear carbs. I just try to keep a 40% protien 30% carb 30% fat ratio (that I never seem to manage)

Got ya! Thanks for the clarification!
  • FabulouslyMade
    Options
    There are good carbs and bad carbs issue is everyone loads on the bad carbs keeping them fat in result is that all carbs are bad. If you kept carbs under 20g a day you would notice more weight loss.

It sounds good but I need at least 150 to make it through the day....seriously
  • Sassy196
    Sassy196 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Good Morning - Help !
    My New Years resolution is to eat less carbs. I start tomorrow. Can I get some meal ideas from anyone?
    I have been so carb depenent for almost every meal I am at a loss as to what to eat.
    Any ideas or advice?
    Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
  • Naturalhiker
    Options

Interesting given most other diets say the same evilness about certain carbs but yet when you cut out those bad carbs it does work...guess that is BS too.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    carbs:

high-carbohydrate-foods.jpg

Hey, you posted all of my favorite foods, how did you know??? LoL
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

Interesting given most other diets say the same evilness about certain carbs but yet when you cut out those bad carbs it does work...guess that is BS too.

In the grand scheme of things, weight loss is about the deficit. No food is inherently good or bad. The overall diet is what determines this. That being said, the same applies for carbs. I get my carbs from all kinds of things, there are no exclusions to what I eat. My focus is on nutrient density and not on trivial words like "good" or "bad". Different balances are up to the individual but weight loss will happen in a deficit, regardless.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. If you feel better with less carbs, then eat less carbs. You might have some mild insulin resistance causing these symptoms.

I'm newly type 2 diabetic and am allowed 135 carbs/day right now. That may well decrease once I get my next blood tests done but it's where they started me at. I just used the custom settings to adjust the mfp level to track it.

A suggestion, always have some kind of protein when eating carbs. It slows down absorption and decreases the blood sugar spike. Selecting fiber rich, nutrient rich carbs helps with this too. It's the wild spike up and down in your blood sugar that causes fatigue, carb craving, increased appetite etc.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The reason I restrict carbs (still, my goal is 40% carbs) is so I can reach (or at least get closer to) my protein goal (120g), pretty much. That's about it.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    no, they are your fuel when u do 2 to 3 hours cardio a day.

why would anyone do 2-3 hours of cardio a day?
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    are you obese and relatively new to exercise?

this lyle mcdonald article implies that those with obesity could have insulin issues (even if there is no diabetes or pre-diabetes) and that limiting carbs helps in fat loss. it's a long read (6 parts) but worth it

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/training-the-obese-beginner.html

IF you are obese & relatively new to exercise, this really is a fantastic article. Probably a good read for well-meaning fit folks, too.

MFP staple: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

In any case, carbs. They're not evil. That said, 8 eggo waffles and 3 cups of GrapeNuts cereal (I was a year-round swimmer) is not a balanced breakfast. Especially not if lunch is a buttered baguette, and dinner is some reheated steamed white rice. I kid you not, I had days like that.

Now, you can get into the weeds of good/bad carbs (which I don't believe in) and glycemic indexes, etc. OR you could simply use your common sense and recognize that your carbs NEED TO BE VARIED AND INCLUDE GREEN THINGS.

Low carb: there is an MFP low-carb group you might want to look into, if that's the route you want to go. I used a medically supervised very low carb (20-25/day) ketogenic diet to go from my highest weight of 236 to the 223 I started MFP with. Why change something that was working? I want balance, not to replace one extreme with another. And it's working!

Before you start restricting your foods and turning your diet inside out, why not just study your food logs and make the easy tweaks, as suggested in the Lyle McDonald article? Even if you decide to try a lower carb ratio, it doesn't have to be extreme.
  • FabulouslyMade
    Options

If they love exercise
  • FabulouslyMade
    Options
    Listen to your body. If you feel better with less carbs, then eat less carbs. You might have some mild insulin resistance causing these symptoms.

I'm newly type 2 diabetic and am allowed 135 carbs/day right now. That may well decrease once I get my next blood tests done but it's where they started me at. I just used the custom settings to adjust the mfp level to track it.

A suggestion, always have some kind of protein when eating carbs. It slows down absorption and decreases the blood sugar spike. Selecting fiber rich, nutrient rich carbs helps with this too. It's the wild spike up and down in your blood sugar that causes fatigue, carb craving, increased appetite etc.

Thanks!! And good luck to you also
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options

What a waste of time
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Good Morning - Help !
    My New Years resolution is to eat less carbs. I start tomorrow. Can I get some meal ideas from anyone?
    I have been so carb depenent for almost every meal I am at a loss as to what to eat.
    Any ideas or advice?
    Thanks

An egg omelette with cheese and a side of bacon is a good low carb breakfast. Chicken with dark leaf spinach and ranch dressing is a good low carb lunch and tuna with mayo and dressing is a good low carb dinner. If you're going to decrease carbs, you should increase fat intake.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options

What a waste of time

Ain't nobody got time for that!

On a serious note, I have heard that after 30-40 min of cardio, you start to have a diminishing rate of return as far as calories burned/minute are concerned. Any truth to that?
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Good Morning - Help !
    Any ideas or advice?
    Thanks

Check out http://www.reddit.com/r/keto for TONS AND TONS of good low- or no-carb info. You don't need to subscribe to the entire keto mindset to benefit. There are helpful links down the right side of the page.

Here's my take on "carbs":

Sugar: bad, cause insulin spikes and crashes
    Starch: bad, cause fat gain.
    Fiber: good, keep things a-movin'.

That's about it. Carb loading can sure give you energy boosts for workouts etc., but if you leave that stuff in your bloodstream for too long then your body gives up trying to use it, and it gets converted to fat.
  • melkhamilton
    Options
    Carbs ARE the devil...for SOME people. ;)

Not all. And that's generally the only rule of health and weightloss: that there IS no one rule for everyone.

For me, carbs make my eyes go blurry, my blood sugar shoot up and my thyroid cranky. But obviously that's not true for everyone. Carbs from whole sources are definitely not the devil; they're just a macronutrient, like any other. Highly processed carbs, OTOH, tend to be pretty demonic no matter what, LOL...it just shows more on some of us than others.

Whatever works for you, is what I say. Life is short, be healthy and happy and listen to your own body.