Should I be eating back calories burned exercising?

Options
13»

Replies

• leed12345
    leed12345 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If I don't eat enough calories then I don't have the energy for my workout the next day. I find it counterproductive to under-eat. I am losing steadily and am happy with my MFP results so far. I also get horrible stomach cramps in the middle of my training session if I have not adequately breakfasted. I agree with not force feeding yourself and leaving a cushion of about 100 calories under goal to make room for measuring mistakes.
  • NaanaTennachieYankey
    Options
    No not if your trying to lose weight! The point is to burn calories so why would you then put those calories back in your body after working hard to burn them off. I dont really agree with the way mfp adds calories burned from exercise to your daily allowance. Defeats the purpose when your trying to lose weight

You need to read this link because you may not understand how MFP calculates intake recommendations and consequently your above advice is very bad for people who use MFPs defaults. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf

If you are using an external estimator for TDEE then you should not eat them back, but this distinction is important. Saying "do not eat them back" is context dependent.

Completely agree, thank you for sharing that link, people seem to be using MFP wrongly. so I am glad you shared this link.
  • _useyourwords_
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I haven't been eating back my calories and then wondering why I've been so hungry. Also makes me want to exercise more so I can eat more. LOL!
  • Meganrose935
    Options
    So WHY EXERCISE THEN.... ????? if your just gonna eat back all your hard work?!?
  • malular
    Options
    So WHY EXERCISE THEN.... ????? if your just gonna eat back all your hard work?!?

Because your goal number of calories each day calculated according to the numbers you input ALREADY HAS A SAFE DEFICIT INCLUDED. If you exercise on top of that you could be losing more than the recommended safe 1 - 2 lbs per week as your calorie deficit would be much greater.

Eating at a large calorie deficit and losing more than 1 -2 lbs per week has been shown to be unsustainable and you will probably give up and gain all the weight back. It could also mean that you are losing lean tissue (muscle) as well as fat. Healthier way to lose weight is slowly at 1 -2 lbs per week.
  • okay. Here's my issue. I'm doing p90x3.

my plan says to eat 1500 calories a day. (I'm on plan a, at 135 lbs, 5'0 tall)...

my bmr is only 1677.. mfp always put me at 1200, to lose 1 lb/week.

the plan doesn't say anything about eating back calories, or anything. just says eat 1500 cal per day.. well, if a workout burns 300 calories, that nets me 1200 calories.. if I stick with mfp's 1200, thats only 900 calories total eaten...

I'm so confused. anyone? I've asked tony horton, but I doubt he'll be replying to me... lol. should I eat these back? being so close to GW of 125, my weight has been really plateaued since november...
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    okay. Here's my issue. I'm doing p90x3.

my plan says to eat 1500 calories a day. (I'm on plan a, at 135 lbs, 5'0 tall)...

my bmr is only 1677.. mfp always put me at 1200, to lose 1 lb/week.

the plan doesn't say anything about eating back calories, or anything. just says eat 1500 cal per day.. well, if a workout burns 300 calories, that nets me 1200 calories.. if I stick with mfp's 1200, thats only 900 calories total eaten...

I'm so confused. anyone? I've asked tony horton, but I doubt he'll be replying to me... lol. should I eat these back? being so close to GW of 125, my weight has been really plateaued since november...

Ok, first of all, forget that goofy P90x3 diet plan. It doesn't take into account height, age, or how quickly you want to lose weight, or things like LBM. I'm doing P90x3 as well and using a HRM, and I'm not burning 300 calories every workout (sometimes less, sometimes more), nor is their recommended calorie intake of 2100 for me going to do anything but put me into maintenance. Here's what to do:

1. Follow your MFP calorie recommendations of 1200.
    2. Log your exercise calories each day. You'll notice your daily calorie intake goal will go up based on how many exercise calories you entered. This is because MFP does not calculate exercise in its daily calorie intake.
    3. Eat back the extra calories you earned from exercise. You don't have to eat them all back, but you should be eating enough of them back that you hit your target of 1200.

This thread is a great place to get all the basics: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • eldazzio
    eldazzio Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Speaking purely from personal experience, I stopped eating back my exercise cals thinking I could speed things up and my steady weight loss came to a grinding halt. I've started eating most of them back and I'm back on track and feel better too. Good luck!
  • simplesolid
    Options
    I understand that we should be eating back our exercise calories. However, I think that Malular brought a valid point so then what is the advantage/point exercising? Is it so that our metabolism speeds up?
    I guess my question is am I going to loose more weight by exercising and eating back the calories than not exercising at all? If so I would love to know why.

Thanks,
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    i play it by ear and try to listen to my body. It is nice to know they are there if I feel like eating something else or something extra .
  • ambergaelle
    ambergaelle Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am beyond overwhelmed by the whole concept right now.... my MFP goal is at 1200 calories a day for mostly sedentary person. i want to lose no more and no less than 2lbs a week because thats what i heard was "healthy"... i recently started doing cicuit training (Jillian Michaels... and i do it the easy way cauz i srsly suck) and cardio 30 min 5 times a week.... I ve changed my diet to more "clean options" and left out the unhealthy stuff i was addicted to. i prepped my meals and becaue i eat healthy stuff instead of 800 cal a portion stuff i actually feel super full each day after all my meals... i actually struggle to get to 1200 because i dont want to go towards unhealthy more calorific foods.... I ususally add a protein bar to the addition to get close to 1200... I dont feel too tired or low or ill but i also def dont feel hungry so I dont eat my 400-500 calories burnt back... sometimes that mans my net is as low as 500... does that mean i wont be losing weight... i just started 2 weeks ago.
    here are my stats.
    5'7
    163 lbs
    goal weight is 133
    i have 40% BF
    26 year old
    female

someone please tell me what to do.