sugar debate...

Options
I am trying to find a better balance to increase my odds of losing the 100lbs I want to this year without makimg drastic changes that will cause depression and eventual rebounding to old habits. .that said...

I have 5 kids, including 3 month old preemie twins. I dont get to sleep very much at all. I live off coffee but the sugar intake was not helping my loss. Im not ready for black but I'm working my way there....meanwhile ive been using splenda but I'm becoming concerned about my body resisting the proper breakdown of natural sugars if I continue to use the splenda. Does anybody have any experience with sugar substitutes slowing weight loss? I realize its a bandaid for my sweet tooth but again I'm taking baby steps. Ive cut back my portions and ive added exercise

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't have any effect on your weight loss. As long as you are burning more calories than you are eating, you will lose weight. Using a sugar substitute to replace sugar calories is a good way to do that. It won't affect your body's ability to digest natural sugar.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Can I ask why you think the sugar was slowing your loss? Was it just taking too big of a chunk of your total calories per day or was it something else? Unless you have a medical condition that impacts insulin/etc, within the frame of appropriate calorie and macro goals for your current weight/body comp/activity level and your goal weight/body comp, it really doesn't matter how much sugar you consume. However, if you're consuming too much sugar at the expense of getting enough protein/fat/micronutrients, or it's causing you to exceed your calorie goal, then I can see where you'd want to cut down.

So, basically, what I'm saying is that as long as you're meeting your goals, use as much sugar as you want. If you're not meeting your goals and want to reduce your sugar consumption, then my vote is that, in moderation, some Spenda should be perfectly fine.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    Too much artificial sweatener can make it harder to break a sugar habit, but no, your body won't forget how to break down sugar. You could try using your regular sugar and backing it down over time to the lowest level where you can tolerate the taste. Too much sugar is not ideal and will be stored as fat, but a few teaspoons per day wont derail you unless they trigger binging or push you way over in calories.
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    First, be gentle with yourself----preemie twins and 3 other kids---that's a lot to juggle.

Here is what I did to cut my lifelong sugar cravings to zero---this worked for me, there will be people on this list who trash the idea---but I tried it out of desperation. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't---but you have nothing to lose by trying.

1) Cut the coffee way back---it jerks up all your adrenals [according to my health professional] and contributes to the "crash and burn" cycle that demands more: coffee, more sugar, more carbs. I didn't think I could cut my black tea habit---but I gradually cut it down to one cup a day and the rest is all sorts of yummy teas without the caf.

2) Try cutting back your carbs [I cut off all grains, which I thought would be a lot harder than it was but after the first day it has been easy and has made a tremendous difference in weight loss but also how I feel]. This is the only thing I've ever done that cut my sugar cravings.

3) Try cutting all added sugar from your diet. Again, there are people on this list who say "a carb is a carb" but that isn't true for me---cutting off added sugars made it possible for me to let sugar go, for the first time in my life and not miss it. Some people can eat a little bit, not me.

4) Sleep my dear, whenever you can.

Good luck. Let us know how you are doing.
  • mathiseasy
    mathiseasy Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about sugar substitutes, use something made from stevia or monkfruit, although some people say it has a weird aftertaste (I'm weird, can't taste the difference between coke and pepsi so it doesn't bother me). If you are looking for something that isn't splenda, I would recommend the stevia. I think it's yummy :)
  • luvcookies2014
    luvcookies2014 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I just had a physical last week and my doctor told me no artificial sweeteners. She did say I could use Stevia. I worked hard at losing weight last year, yet only lost 20 the whole year (and I have 100 to lose) She said the diet sodas and the splenda could make it harder, and she told me I'd be better off having no soda, but if I did to drink the regular type.

I did try the stevia, and I like it. I've been using it in my tea, and it doesn't seem to have a bad aftertaste.
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Sugar has 16 calories per teaspoon. Even even you had 8 cups of coffee a day with one tsp per cup, that's only 128 calories(?)
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    The problem with artificial sweeteners is that they won't fix the real problem, which is your sweet tooth. You can train yourself to stop needing everything you drink to be sweet.

I used to add splenda to my coffee. But after getting used to drinking coffee black, I now find sweet coffee disgusting. The sugar masks coffee's real flavor. But those tastes must be acquired.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    Wean yourself off the sugar in the coffee and you will find you don't miss it.

I used to take my coffee light and sweet. Then, because I was cutting down on my sugar intake for my own reasons, I started having my coffee (large) with 2 sugars which I didn't even taste so one day I nixed the added sugar completely and haven't gone back.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Sugar has 16 calories per teaspoon. Even even you had 8 cups of coffee a day with one tsp per cup, that's only 128 calories(?)

I don't drink the stuff. But, I work at a place that most people do. I'm willing to bet most people don't just put one tsp of sugar in their cup.
  • 50racinggirl
    50racinggirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am trying to find a better balance to increase my odds of losing the 100lbs I want to this year without makimg drastic changes that will cause depression and eventual rebounding to old habits. .that said...

I have 5 kids, including 3 month old preemie twins. I dont get to sleep very much at all. I live off coffee but the sugar intake was not helping my loss. Im not ready for black but I'm working my way there....meanwhile ive been using splenda but I'm becoming concerned about my body resisting the proper breakdown of natural sugars if I continue to use the splenda. Does anybody have any experience with sugar substitutes slowing weight loss? I realize its a bandaid for my sweet tooth but again I'm taking baby steps. Ive cut back my portions and ive added exercise

I LOVE coffee and drink several cups throughout the day. My favorite thing to have as a a snack is coffee. Try using Stevia. It is all natural and may actually be good for you. I buy it at health food stores.
  • SarahNerd
    Options
    I'm a coffee junkie myself, and I have been trying to cut back on added sugar intake, as well. I have had some success with it, so I will share what I have done in case it can help you.

The following is what I have done and will continue to do:
    - For the first month, I cut from 3 sugars per coffee to 2.
    - Last month, I cut from 2 sugars per coffee down to 1.
    - This month, I am changing from light chocolate soy milk as my creamer to a no sugar added plain soy milk and 1 sugar.
    - Next month, I plan to cut to no sugar and stay with the same no sugar added soy milk.

It takes a lot of strength to make big changes with little ones to take care of. Good luck!
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with sugar in your coffee, just measure it out and fit it into your daily calorie alottment. Nothing wrong with artificial sweetners either. I used both while losing weight and I use both now, while maintaining.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

I don't drink the stuff. But, I work at a place that most people do. I'm willing to bet most people don't just put one tsp of sugar in their cup.

That's where portion size comes into play-nothing wrong with sugar, but just like anything else you need to measure out portion sizes. I put two tsp of cinnamon sugar on my sweet potato breakfast every morning. I keep a tsp measuring spoon right in the container. It's not that complicated to do :smile:
  • littlelou374
    Options
    Have you thought about trying out different coffees? Taste can vary so much based on brand, roast, bean source, etc. Just by switching it up, you may be able to find one that you actually like the taste of – black, without sugar/sweetener or milk.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

I'm willing to bet most of them don't have 8 cups a day, either, so the numbers are probably not that far off, and not all of them will use any sugar in their coffee- I don't.

OP: Why do you think artificial sweeteners will make your body "resist the breakdown of natural sugars"? Foods get broken down by the body into sugars all the time, as part of the digestive process. I don't understand why artificial sweeteners would interfere with this process.
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options

Well, you'd lose the bet if it were with me. I use 1 level teaspoon of sugar per cup of coffee. I drink about 3 cups a day on average.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    If you're breast feeding the twins (or pumping since they're premature, I don't know if they can latch or whatever) you should put off the aggressive weight loss plans.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    Have you thought about trying out different coffees? Taste can vary so much based on brand, roast, bean source, etc. Just by switching it up, you may be able to find one that you actually like the taste of – black, without sugar/sweetener or milk.

This.

Americans sugar their coffee at high rates in part because the coffee they tend to drink is terrible to begin with, or is incorrectly roasted. Good coffee makes a big difference.

Another (counterintuitive) trick is to add a small pinch of salt. Not enough to make it salty. Just a tiny amount. Most people sweeten coffee because it is acidic and bitter. The salt will cut bitterness as well as a much larger amount of sugar.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I'm becoming concerned about my body resisting the proper breakdown of natural sugars if I continue to use the splenda.

This doesn't even mean anything. It's literally impossible. No such thing happens.

Use the Splenda all you want.