Honest truths, maybe a bit harsh (this is a tad long)

Options
Firstly pardon my grammar, I'm terrible at spelling and such.

I'm not your mother, I'm not here to coddle you. So I'm going to give you your medicine straight. Take it or don't, that's up to you, but know that this is the honest truth as I see it. If you don't like it, tough, this is how it is in my humble opinion.

1) MFP is about fitness and health, this is NOT a weight loss site. One of the main benefits about becoming healthy and learning how to eat right is moving towards a healthy weight. Weight loss on MFP is incidental, and should NOT be the main focus on here. I know it usually is, but that's not what I envision MFP as.

2) No matter how much you wish, no matter how hard you want it, you can't become healthy with gimmicks (notice I said become healthy and not lose weight). What's a gimmick? ANYTHING, yes anything that allows you to lose weight that isn't part of a normal, healthy eating and exercise schedule. Examples are pills, diets that go to the extreme, fasts, surgery, hormone injections...etc. They're all gimmicks designed to somehow trick, deprive, or alter the body temporarily. Why don't these work in the long run for the vast majority? Because they don't teach long term sucess, they don't change your lifestyle and habits, and they require less effort than hard work than healthy choices. Look, I'm not putting people down who try this, I understand that some can become desparate and look for other ways to acheive their goals, but the only true way I've seen to become healthy is to eat right and exercise. Everything else is a smoke show, and like all smoke shows, eventually the smoke clears and you end up the same as you were before. And please, know this, if you don't like this point of view, I don't care, I've seen enough, read enough, and know enough people who've done all these "tricks", I've looked at the research, these things just don't work, sorry folks, fool yourself all you want, but until you come to the truth, you'll continue your rollercoaster ride.

3) Stop making excuses. I see it on here constantly and it's just weakness. Sorry for being blunt, but it is. Toughen up a little will you? If you're tired, figure out why, do a little reading, check your food and see if you're lacking something, see if you're getting enough sleep...etc. If you're not losing weight like you thought you should, examine your food schedule, weight loss is all about your diet, if you eat less than you are ACTUALLY burning in a day, then you WILL lose weight. But please note the word ACTUAL. There are places called Metabolic labs, they will test your TDEE and tell you what you actually burn in a day for calories, if you don't trust MFP's assumptions, then get tested, it's that simple. Don't just sit and whine on the boards all day about how you're not losing weight, figure out WHY you aren't.

4) Results take time. You can't expect anything significant in the course of 2 or 3 weeks. That's just not how the body works. Habbits take months to form, significant weight loss takes months to happen, strength increases take months, and plateaus don't happen in 2 weeks. Sorry folks that's just the way it goes, being impatient and changing your routine every two weeks will not help you lose weight faster, it will just delay things.

5) The U.S. government is not the evil empire. There aren't secret groups of people in black suits and sun glasses huddled together in an underground facility planning out ways to make us more obese. Nobody's against us becoming healthier. What the government is, is ignorant and a little naieve. We have governing bodies for quasi government organizations that have no experience in the matter in which they preside. That includes the FDA and the Health department. That said, they rely on the opinions of "experts". Most of these experts are also somewhat political and tend to tell people what they want to hear, and what makes the most sense politically and financially. Generally the concept of political expedience doesn't harm good sense health practices (maybe not the BEST health practices, but acceptable none-the-less). that means that while yes, the health organizations that govern food in the U.S. make mistakes, they are generally honest mistakes, so keep your eye out, don't blindly trust the government, but don't immediately mistake them for Some demon that is out to make you fat. There's no board of directors in Nabisco foods scheming up ways to keep us fat, McDonalds isn't sitting in their corporate offices rubbing their hands together and laughing maniaclly, trust me, they're just trying to make the best food they can for the cheapest money without getting sued. That may not be all that healthy as far as we're concerned, but it's why we have freedom of choice! They disclose what the contents of their food are, you have a choice to eat it or not. Can't we just stop there and call it a game?

5) Stop worrying so much what you look like when you work out! Geez, this one kills me. why do people care so much what everyone in the gym looks like? You're there for a reason, perform your stuff, enjoy it, and really, stop worrying about whether that guy next to you thinks you look silly. He doesn't have to go home and look at your body in the mirror, I'm sure he has his own insecurities. Look I know that many people on here have self-esteem issues, that's fine, but the only way to get over them is to get out there, let your fat parts jiggle, and work HARD! I've done it, all of us who've gone from fat to fit have done it in one way or another, it never gets easier to look at yourself in the mirror, that's the truth, I STILL look in the mirror and immediately pick out the gazillion parts of my body that I think aren't pretty. You're not special because you have jiggly parts, you're special because of what is in your brain, and your heart. So stop feeling sorry for yourself, go put on the gym clothes, and get busy embarrasing yourself infront of countless anonymous folks! It's fun if you let it be, heck, I make a fool of myself daily at the gym. At this point I enjoy the looks on people's faces when I'm sweating all over myself and making horrid (I imagine) faces, and breathing heavy. If you can't laugh at yourself, then you need to lighten up. Smile, smiles focus people on your face, if nothing else, that'll keep them from looking at your flab (I really HOPE that's true at least).

Maybe some would call it a rant. It's really not, I like helping people, and I truely belive this will help someone. I'm sure somewhere in my brain there's a tiny bit of narcisism that wants to be recognized for this, so what? Who doesn't like that? But mostly, I just want people to see what's what!

And lastly, if I struck a nerve here, and hit on something that is close to home for you. Before you get all crazy defensive and start attacking me, take a step back, recognize that I'm not attacking any one person or group, and maybe do a little re-evaluation of your situation. If you're getting super defensive, maybe there's a reason. It's never a good idea to lash out from an emotional place, before you get all fatal attraction crazy on me, maybe analyze your situation and see if maybe there's some truth to my remarks, you might be surprised at what you find.

regards all,
-Banks

Replies

• McGruber03
    Options
    Well said!
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Great Post!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for coming out and saying the Honest Truth
  • AmandaB4588
    Options
    Harsh? No, but straightforward. Nicely put, Banks.
  • jfarmer1118
    Options
    Well spoken!
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    The truth is the truth....Great post!!!!
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Actually i found it rather funny--should be a required reading link. You made valid points and tho i may disagree with a couple, i understand where you're coming from and found your honesty refreshing.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I'm so in agreement with what you've said here. My only other suggestion for those of you, who like me head off to the gym daily. Take the time to reach out to someone else at the gym or when your working out and smile - say hello, ask them how their workout is going and most of all PROVIDE ENCOURAGEMENT. I was so lucky to have someone ask me to come into a work out class rather than peer through the door and wonder. I'd much rather have a smile directed toward me, then a snicker at my jiggles. This is a lifelong struggle and journey, so I'm going to make the most of it.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I agree with just about everything you said. The only thing I disagree with is your assumption regarding McDonald's, etc. They are not trying to make the best food possible for a cheap price. They are trying to make the cheapest food possible in order to gain as much profit as possible. While they may not be laughing manically about the Nation's obesity rates that are directly caused by their food, they certainly don't give a damn about the health of the people who eat their food. Otherwise these companies wouldn't use so many chemicals and toxic ingredients. There are plenty of companies that make healthy, natural, and/or organic foods that aren't that expensive and they do it because not only is there a growing market for such foods, but because they do care about the health of Americans. And the government has fostered the greed by an egregious lack of regulation that has resulted in the forced ignorance of the American people. And that has resulted in the extreme rates of obesity we are now faced with in this country.
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I think most people are under the impression of evaluating the difference between "health" and "self denial". However, you must also put the idea of "volunteer" into perspective. People didn't come to MFP because they felt like they were being forced to; they came because they volunteered to do so. Yes, MFP doesn't clearly state that it is a weightloss program nor does it push the user to change their ways, but why else did the majority of people sign up on this website? They signed up to track caloric and nutrition figures in order to lose weight.

Yes it is all fine and dandy to be blunt on occasion. However, when it comes from a stranger, it weakens the meaning. I'm not saying no one is going to read this and say, "You know... he's right.. what have I been doing?!" People might take it as an attack or more so of a nuisance. Quite frankly, I hate being told what to do unless it is from my work or supportive family and friends.

I agree on the fact that there is no MIRACLE weight loss program and people shouldn't feel bad about themselves or the way they look. But some people like to complain.. .it's a sense of encouragement. They need the support from others. You can't tell a child not to cry when he/she falls down.. it's going to happen. Maybe for support... maybe for attention. The main point I'm trying to get across is: I know you might not like hearing people complain about their appearance or whether or not America is trying to keep us fat, but don't take away that sense of hope... the sense of knowing there are other people out there in world just like me... wanting to lose weight. MyFitnessPal.com can be used however you like.. we don't pay for it. If you want it to be a weightloss program... so be it. If you want it to maintain health.. so be it.

If you are tired of what you see in forums, don't read the forums.
  • maryann73
    maryann73 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Banks! I especially love #5!
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I agree with you Banks! It's about hard work, commitment and self worth, IMO. It's not easy, but it's so worth it.

I am finally successful because I am doing this to become HEALTHY. Not just to lose weight.

Great post, Banks!
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing that I constantly hear is people using food expense as an excuse to eat poorly. It is really cheap to eat all of the crap, fast food or processed items.
    I went back to the basics, buy a lot of my meat items and other things that will keep in bulk . . . but more importantly I have adopted the philosophy of "did my grandparents eat this?".
    I do a 2 week food plan including all meals and snacks, then build my grocery list from that. It is something my Mom did during lean times and works really well. We hang it on the side of the fridge for reference so it makes life really easy when you are grabbing items to pack lunches, or wondering what to take out of the freezer for dinner.
    We spend so much time on the computer, watching tv, and doing other things so why not allocate a bit more time to be better prepared and PLAN your meals . . . the better the plan the better chance of eating healthy and saving money. With our plan we waste nothing now because I buy exactly what we need and no more or less.
    This is not rocket science people . . . eat a well balanced diet, watch your calories and make sure to move enough to get on a good sweat every 2nd day at the least.

My one issue with your "rant" is the fact that you said "sorry" about your opinion . . . don't be sorry at all . . . loved it!
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Well I agree with most of what you said. The only thing that I don't agree with is that I believe MFP is a weight loss site for some. If losing weight is why there here then so be it. If it gets them healthier than so be it. People are here for different reasons. Whatever the reason I don't judge them. I don't believe in gimmicks and no McDonalds is not out to make people fat. People have choices and make the wrong ones sometimes. That won't change if there is no McDonalds. People make bad choices and that's why they want to lose weight. I want to lose weight, the right way. I want to be healthy and fit.
    And last but not least I might take your advice and quit worrying about what I look like if I want to join a gym. Just remember everyone has a different reason to be here and you have your opinion. Some people need others to lean on in their journey to a healthier life. If I (or you) can help them on their journey than that should be good enough.
    Have a wonderfully fit day!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I agree with just about everything you said. The only thing I disagree with is your assumption regarding McDonald's, etc. They are not trying to make the best food possible for a cheap price. They are trying to make the cheapest food possible in order to gain as much profit as possible. While they may not be laughing manically about the Nation's obesity rates that are directly caused by their food, they certainly don't give a damn about the health of the people who eat their food. Otherwise these companies wouldn't use so many chemicals and toxic ingredients. There are plenty of companies that make healthy, natural, and/or organic foods that aren't that expensive and they do it because not only is there a growing market for such foods, but because they do care about the health of Americans. And the government has fostered the greed by an egregious lack of regulation that has resulted in the forced ignorance of the American people. And that has resulted in the extreme rates of obesity we are now faced with in this country.

probably all true, but moot points as I wasn't defending McDonald's, I was just pointing out that they aren't the only choice, and really I seriously doubt they are actively trying to figure out ways to make people fat. I have no insight into their corporate decisions, but I imagine their most priorities are 1) profit 2) liability 3)availability of product 4)costs 5)taste 6) food quality or something like that. I don't think anywhere in there do they talk about how they can make people fatter or less healthy. I'm sure they are all aware that their food is not considered healthy, nor do I think they care. They disclose their contents, and they let the people of the U.S. make their choices. Pretty much that's how it SHOULD be. There's a market for healthy food in the U.S. and fast food joints, by and large, choose not to participate in them, which is part of the free market. All I'm saying is that there's no ulterior motive out there by Big brother (corporate, governmental or otherwise) to make us unhealthy for some hidden reasoning.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Plus it is YOUR decision to walk through any establishment's door. Stop blaming them and blame yourself.
  • lina1131
    Options
    Plus it is YOUR decision to walk through any establishment's door. Stop blaming them and blame yourself.

Exactly.

I could go to McDonalds and feed my 4 year old there because it is easy, but I do NOT because it is unhealthy (and just plain nasty).

You have to make decisions for yourself. Period.
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    I agree! I'm just jealous of the people who incidentally lose weight, cuz I'm not losing a single pound!
  • lina1131
    Options
    I agree! I'm just jealous of the people who incidentally lose weight, cuz I'm not losing a single pound!

You've lost 37 lbs. wtf? You are doing great.
  • tesshaney
    tesshaney Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Faboosh and so very true. GREAT POST!
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    to lina1131
    I was 195 when I had my daughter, and through breastfeeding, lost that weight. I wasn't exercising AT ALL, and I gained back ten pounds. So, the 37 lbs was pre-MFP.