Shedding the fat on a 50 lb weight loss journey

Options
For those of you that have lost a considerate amount of weight (30 lbs+), what should a newbie watch out for when meal planning?

Calories/fat
Carbs/sodium
Or any other variation. I'm new to this and I really want to start shedding the fat and sticking to it

Replies

• dawnwritesnow
    dawnwritesnow Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My husband lost 50lb (~2lbs a week) and I lost 17lbs (~0.5 lbs a week) in six months. We lost the sodas and unhealthy snacks, and started eating three healthy meals and jogging and some weight training. The usual healthy, recommended weight loss plan.

When meal planning, I started by watching the calories and fat content at first, and then switched over to watching carbs once I started getting closer to my weight goal.

Tracking everything on MFP really helped.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    You need to burn more calories than you consume to lose weight. That's the only key to losing weight. All the rest of it, as far as fat/carbs/type of food intake, is completely up to you as far as what combinations work. That's not to say sit around and drink a bottle of oil as long as you stay within your calories, but there's no one type of eating plan (low carb, pale, gluten free, whatever) that is better than another. Eat the foods you like, just stay within your calories and hit your macros.
  • sugah11
    sugah11 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Loose the artificial sweetners and pre packaged foods. Count your calories everyone of them. Drink lots of water, and green tea. Limit your sodium. The more you go organic and or prepare your own foods the better off you will be and the easier time you will have with your weight loss. I went organic, gave up grains, dairy, sugars and fats for the first 90 days. Later I added back low fat greek yogurt and olive oil (in small amounts) I still avoid grains, sugars, and any type of processed foods including salad dressing - most which have the high fructose syrup in it along with a multitude of other misc. ingrediants .
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    You need to burn more calories than you consume to lose weight. That's the only key to losing weight. All the rest of it, as far as fat/carbs/type of food intake, is completely up to you as far as what combinations work. That's not to say sit around and drink a bottle of oil as long as you stay within your calories, but there's no one type of eating plan (low carb, pale, gluten free, whatever) that is better than another. Eat the foods you like, just stay within your calories and hit your macros.

This.
    Eat what you like and stay within your calories. Protein and fiber will help keep you full, but when and how you fulfill your nutritional requirements is really personal preference.

1. Set reasonable goals
    2. Log your food/drinks accurately and consistently
    3. Exercise for fitness.

:smile:
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    In a nutshell what worked for me was tracking everything I ate, everything. Work up a sweat every single day. Some days a light sweat, other days major sweat. Find an activity you love, that will make you sweat.

As for meal planning, I kept it simple. Simple is easy and painless to track.

Protein kept me satisfied.

I always took food that fit my calories, while running errands, and being out and about. Saved me from the drive-thru many, many times.

Tried to never get ravenous, so that meant I had to eat nutrient dense food. Forget about junk food and take out, at least till you have formed some good solid habits.

If you like veggies (I do) eat tons of them. They are calorie friendly, and make you think you are getting a big ole plate of food. Forget the butter, sauces, high calorie dressings.

Sites like Skinnytaste, Emilybites have great recipes.

I've lost 65 pounds. I love the food I eat. Through trial and error you will too.
  • jess1879
    jess1879 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks Eileen for recipe sites. I'm going to need them!
  • colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Read the Guide to Sexy-Pants thread. I'll try to find the link for ya.