Sugars

Options
So I am doing a raw diet for a few weeks then after that switching over to just a healthier life style. I am working on my food log and noticed I am good with carbs protein and fat but my sugars are high because such a huge part of this diet is fruits. I've head conflicting stories about fruits being good including the sugars, and I have heard you need to really limit fruit consumption because of the sugars. Does anyone know what's true? if that's the case I need to push out some fruits and increase veggies but before i made changes I thought I would ask first.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    So I am doing a raw diet for a few weeks then after that switching over to just a healthier life style. I am working on my food log and noticed I am good with carbs protein and fat but my sugars are high because such a huge part of this diet is fruits. I've head conflicting stories about fruits being good including the sugars, and I have heard you need to really limit fruit consumption because of the sugars. Does anyone know what's true? if that's the case I need to push out some fruits and increase veggies but before i made changes I thought I would ask first.

Raw diet like the 80/10/10?

And inb4fruitsugarsarefine
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Eating sugar from fruit is completely different from eating processed and refined sugars. Don't worry about it, trust me!
  • cjanaro
    cjanaro Posts: 33
    Options

I am not familiar with 80/10/10? I just know its fruits veggies and nuts and that's about all I am gonna be eating.
  • cjanaro
    Options
    Eating sugar from fruit is completely different from eating processed and refined sugars. Don't worry about it, trust me!
    Awesome, I just thought it would be smart to check rather than risking being counter-productive.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

Because fiber!!
  • Acg67
    Options

I am not familiar with 80/10/10? I just know its fruits veggies and nuts and that's about all I am gonna be eating.

Oh...

Well good luck on your lbm retention goals of 2014
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

Do you hate muscle mass and delicious food?
  • Acg67
    Options

Natural or refined?

sugar-sucrose-molecule-3d-model-thumb17798094.jpg
  • cjanaro
    Options

I am supplementing in a protein shake each day, I hate being 350lbs with weird food cravings. This will hopefully clear out a lot of those cravings. In 3 weeks regular proteins will be back.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

I am supplementing in a protein shake each day, I hate being 350lbs with weird food cravings. This will hopefully clear out a lot of those cravings. In 3 weeks regular proteins will be back.

I've never heard of cutting out protein to cure food cravings. If anything, you need to make sure you are getting at least 0.8 to 1g protein/lb of lean body mass to avoid your body cannabalizing your muscles for the amino acids you require to survive. Especially if you are a guy. You likely already have a great muscle base, since you have quite a bit to lose. Why risk it?
  • cjanaro
    Options

I've never heard of cutting out protein to cure food cravings. If anything, you need to make sure you are getting at least 0.8 to 1g protein/lb of lean body mass to avoid your body cannabalizing your muscles for the amino acids you require to survive. Especially if you are a guy. You likely already have a great muscle base, since you have quite a bit to lose. Why risk it?
    I'm not really cutting out protein, nuts have plenty of it plus a protein shake I have been fine with it. I am eating like this to push out cravings for crap food. Sweets, fast food etc. It's more like a detox than anything else, based on what I have read that's really the main purpose of this type of diet.
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    you can have lean meat or fish with your veggies. no mayo though! and keep an eye on the nuts!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I'm not really cutting out protein, nuts have plenty of it plus a protein shake I have been fine with it. I am eating like this to push out cravings for crap food. Sweets, fast food etc. It's more like a detox than anything else, based on what I have read that's really the main purpose of this type of diet.
    No, nuts, in fact, are really a fat source, moreso than a protein source. I would really really recommend that you get a bare minimum of 150 grams of protein a day at your size, and you ain't getting that from nuts and *a* protein shake.

Detoxes are bovine scat. Your excretory system is evolutionarily designed to do that job for you 24/7.

If you want to get rid of cravings for crap food, start eating the healthy, well balanced diet that you plan to start after the raw diet, only do it today and continue it for 3 weeks to start building the habit.

Then learn about macronutrients and what your total daily energy expenditure is (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/), what a healthy caloric deficit would be for you, then eat the protein and fat you need (http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/) and you can eat the rest of your calories as whatever you want. You don't have to eliminate any food you don't want to.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    In, because I like this guy.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

While fruit has fiber, vitamins and minerals, in terms of calories and weight loss, you will see the same result if you eat 200 calories of fruit vs chocolate/candy. Your overall calorie consumption is more important for weight loss. Heck, i frequently eat a klondike each night, but that is after I get my daily protein and fat intake.

BTW OP, your body will detox itself. Eating whole foods and lots of fruits and veggies will help decrease sodium which might mitigate a few lbs of water weight. I guess what most of us aren't understanding is what is the 80/10/10 diet.. because that isn't macro's like we are used to seeing. You definitely eat more than 10% of your calories from protein.
  • RachtheOzkiwi
    RachtheOzkiwi Posts: 28 Member
    Options

While fruit has fiber, vitamins and minerals, in terms of calories and weight loss, you will see the same result if you eat 200 calories of fruit vs chocolate/candy. Your overall calorie consumption is more important for weight loss. Heck, i frequently eat a klondike each night, but that is after I get my daily protein and fat intake.

BTW OP, your body will detox itself. Eating whole foods and lots of fruits and veggies will help decrease sodium which might mitigate a few lbs of water weight. I guess what most of us aren't understanding is what is the 80/10/10 diet.. because that isn't macro's like we are used to seeing. You definitely eat more than 10% of your calories from protein.

Agree 100% , I would just add in hemp and dandelions if you can get them.

All the best.
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    aired on tv in uk diet documentary tonight...

fruit sugar "fructose" cant be broken down by the liver in anything but very small quantaties...

very good program covering how stelvia is grown and produced, all about artificial sweetners etc...

what followed that was a program on "living dolls" or "doll suits" which was an equally informative, both being real eye openers

not sure why men would want to wear one but if i had a rough girl friend i would be encouraging her to cover up !!!!
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I guess what most of us aren't understanding is what is the 80/10/10 diet..

OP never brought up the 80/10/10 .... he doesn't seem to know what it is, either.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I guess what most of us aren't understanding is what is the 80/10/10 diet..

OP never brought up the 80/10/10 .... he doesn't seem to know what it is, either.

Ah crap.. i can't read..
  • snootmaster
    snootmaster Posts: 69 Member
    Options

what followed that was a program on "living dolls" or "doll suits" which was an equally informative, both being real eye openers

not sure why men would want to wear one but if i had a rough girl friend i would be encouraging her to cover up !!!!

Just googled it and it may be one of the strangest things I have ever heard of-my life must be too sheltered.