professional yo-yo dieter wanting to end the cycle!

Options
I just joined this website a couple of days ago and totally love it.

I have struggled with my weight for 25 years...I am the professional dieter - I have tried every fad diet, every exercise program and so tired of losing and gaining back.

I realize that I need to make a lifestyle change and learn to eat well and exercise on a regular basis. I tend to go "all in" for a couple of weeks, lose some weight then go back to the McDonalds drive thru, and pub night with the girls.

How can I maintain and get rid of this " all or nothing" attitude??? Anyone else feeling this way???

Replies

• aooz
    aooz Posts: 2
    Options
    I feel the same way.
    Im on here to challenge myself to achieve a six pack.
    Keeping my motivation high all the time is something i cannot seem to do.
    I hope i can meet the right people on here to help me stay that motivated and help me forget the ways to kfc or mcds!!
  • olivesparkles
    Options
    I hear you! I have lost the same 3 kg back and forth for the whole past year. And I have around 40kg that I would like to lose.

This year I'm focusing on developing small habits that add up to big change. I started last year with a 30min walk at lunchtime and that is now the highlight of my day.

This week I'm working on packing my lunch each day including snacks so I can stay away from the high calorie food at the work cafe.

Wishing you all the success in breaking the cycle. I'm sure you can do it!
  • 42nFab
    42nFab Posts: 36
    Options
    KFC??? You're killing me over here! Lol
  • 42nFab
    Options
    I love the packing a lunch every day! The key is to be prepared right? Have all of your food ready for the next day so you don't run into a hunger issue.

Small changes are the best. This week I am off the couch and shovelling snow like a crazy woman...lol

Best of luck to you too.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    You can also pick from an extensive list of experienced MFP'ers offering to mentor newbies, here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161976-adopt-a-noob-official-mfp-thread

If you're serious about what you're trying to accomplish... these people are serious about trying to help you. One on one. FREE.... this is the ultimate case of giving back... and if you think it would help you, you'd be a fool not to try it.
  • allen_ac
    allen_ac Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I think many people tend to fail is because they go from one lifestyle and drastically change it to another in order to see extreme results

For health and fitness, you should look for ways to make everything sustainable to you, so that you are less inclined to give up or give in to temptations

For example of Mcdonalds
    During a diet, dedicate a cheat day to enjoy a meal of your favourite kind
    - The cheat day can be once a week (6 days on diet , 1 day off) or everything you hit a new low in weight to reward yourself
    - Give you something to keep pushing, instead of restricting yourself 100% from the start

We all like to jump into the deep end of pool without learning how to float let alone how to swim

You may or may not of heard of setting "SMART" Goals
    - Specific - I want to lose 10lbs in the next month (short term) or I want to lose 30 lbs in 6 months (long term)

- Measurable - Make a goal that you can track on a weekly or daily basis, which motivates you when you see results (previous
    example)

- Attainable - Set something that you know you can achieve, something that you won't give up on easily. Within your reach and doesn't seem like an eternity or impossibility, take baby steps to get to the finish line

- Realistic - Be realistic with your goals. If you can only fit in 2-3 workouts a week when you see other people doing 6-7 days a week, do what is within your power that will help you stay motivated in the long run

- Time related - Set a deadline date for you to measure your progress, forcing yourself to stick to something. Start off with short-term goals and once you find that you can achieve those, move your way into long-term goals. However don't be fixated on like losing a certain amount of weight by the deadline, because it can be detrimental, in the sense that you may be disappointed if you feel like you are not progressing as fast as you like, or if you reach the deadline and you didn't hit your target number, it may end up working against you

Lastly, find people who are willing to support you, whether on these forums or within your peers and family
    - There will be many people mocking what you do, making fun of what you do
    - These are the type of people you don't need to surround yourself with. It will happen from time to time, don't worry about it so much. These people who make fun of you now while you diet, will be the same people who ask you on advice on how you were able to achieve your goals

You will do great, anybody can do it. You need to find that part of you that is willing to do it and then surround yourself with others who will push you to get past the line.

Good luck!
  • mariaclifford140
    Options
    Hello every one,

I have never been on a diet that lasted more than a day or two. Over the years I have gained 35 pounds. Six pregnancies, four kids and working full time to keep it all going has me here today...
    I am new to this form of connecting. In the past losing weight was always about looking good or at least better. Although I told everyone that it was for health reasons ( I am an RN you know), but really it was abot looking good. Now at age 55 it is more about being able to move and not hurt, I have arthitis and back lower and upper problems. And after 35 years of bedside nursng I am a bit of a physical wreck. I keep reminding myself that some of my discomfort will decrease if I am no carrying the extra weight. At least that is what I am hoping for.
    I am getting back to walking and journaling... this time in public
  • allen_ac
    Options
    Hi Maria,

If you're generally good at self research over the Internet, take a look at self massage techniques, mobility exercises, myofascial release and trigger point therapy. If it's not your cup of tea, you can book an appointment with a physiotherapist and they will probably teach you all this, then you can use the Internet to expand your knowledge on what you've learn from them

Do not underestimate these things, these will work wonders on your body if you have nagging pains

Glad you are trying to get started, I'm sure it will work out great for you
  • 42nFab
    Options
    I think many people tend to fail is because they go from one lifestyle and drastically change it to another in order to see extreme results

For health and fitness, you should look for ways to make everything sustainable to you, so that you are less inclined to give up or give in to temptations

For example of Mcdonalds
    - The cheat day can be once a week (6 days on diet , 1 day off) or everything you hit a new low in weight to reward yourself
    - Give you something to keep pushing, instead of restricting yourself 100% from the start

We all like to jump into the deep end of pool without learning how to float let alone how to swim

- Specific - I want to lose 10lbs in the next month (short term) or I want to lose 30 lbs in 6 months (long term)

- Measurable - Make a goal that you can track on a weekly or daily basis, which motivates you when you see results (previous
    example)

- Attainable - Set something that you know you can achieve, something that you won't give up on easily. Within your reach and doesn't seem like an eternity or impossibility, take baby steps to get to the finish line

- Realistic - Be realistic with your goals. If you can only fit in 2-3 workouts a week when you see other people doing 6-7 days a week, do what is within your power that will help you stay motivated in the long run

- Time related - Set a deadline date for you to measure your progress, forcing yourself to stick to something. Start off with short-term goals and once you find that you can achieve those, move your way into long-term goals. However don't be fixated on like losing a certain amount of weight by the deadline, because it can be detrimental, in the sense that you may be disappointed if you feel like you are not progressing as fast as you like, or if you reach the deadline and you didn't hit your target number, it may end up working against you

Lastly, find people who are willing to support you, whether on these forums or within your peers and family
    - These are the type of people you don't need to surround yourself with. It will happen from time to time, don't worry about it so much. These people who make fun of you now while you diet, will be the same people who ask you on advice on how to you achieved your goals

You will do great, anybody can do it. You need to find that part of you that is willing to do it and then surround yourself with others who will push you to get past the line.

Good luck!
  • 42nFab
    Options

For example of Mcdonalds

example)

- These are the type of people you don't need to surround yourself with. It will happen from time to time, don't worry about it so much. These people who make fun of you now while you diet, will be the same people who ask you on advice on how to you achieved your goals

Good luck!
  • 42nFab
    Options
    Clearly I can't figure out how to reply to certain posts.....do I need to get my teenager to help me???? Lol

Thanks for all of the support and info!
  • Shynique37
    Shynique37 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yes the story of my life!! You just have to say I'm done & mean it. Can you imagine loosing 30lbs & getting so cocky with it you gain it all back in months. OK so that's my issue and after I looked in the mirror I said noooo way! I'm glad I stumbled on this site. It's so inspirational. I'm back on track it's day 1 but I feel if you check in here everyday you will stay motivated.
  • Shynique37
    Shynique37 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Allen awesome advice!!
  • allen_ac
    Options
    Allen awesome advice!!

Thank you :) I just got started on the forums too, still learning my way around things
  • jakejessie
    Options
    oh boy can I ever relate - I have lost hundreds of pounds and then gained it back eventually. Each time and I say to myself - I finally got this - the all or nothing thing in my head is what has defeated me over and over again. The problem is that as you age you just do not take it off like when your younger. The damage it does to your metabolism is horrific. I am back at it again but am just trying to account for my food intake good and bad. Today has not been a great day but I have had worse. The question I have is - are you really ever hungry? I am not sure if I know the difference but I can tell you that I know I do not know when I am full..........................
  • cm3540
    cm3540 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am a professional yo-yo girl too!! If I had to choose something positive from yo-yoing...it would be that my weight does not go up as high as in previous times and I don't stay at a higher weight for very long...I do get back on track and try to work it off...but, really, this is getting old and I really want to take the weight off and keep it off for good!! Last time I lost the weight through nutrition only, even though I knew I had to move to be healthier... I have been active but now I am having trouble with the nutrition part of it...I have to get both in gear!!
  • 42nFab
    Options
    I have read that the key to keeping weight off is 80 percent food intake and 20 percent exercise.....not too sure if this is in fact the truth but it seems to make sense to me. A bit of both would be the best...finding that balance.
    I want to be able to enjoy a special dinner out without feeling guilty!
  • sarahbg
    Options
    Good advice!