Gym vs Home exercise DVDs

Options
Hey guys, just wondered what your thoughts were on either the gym vs home exercise DVDs. Money's pretty tight being a student and although I went to the gym last year it was such a hassle as it's about 20miles from where I live (I currently don't drive although I should hopefully pass soon) and not to mention expensive. I thought about getting home exercise DVDs of the workouts you do in the gym such as les mills body pump with weights set.

What I want to know is if anyone has tried exercise DVDs if so are they any good or as good as being at the gym? Also do you find yourself working out more as it's easy from home or do you find you buy it and don't workout as much as you hope?

I also want to add that my bedroom is tiny and I share that with my partner and I also live with my parents so working out in the living room when it's free could prove difficult although my family have been super supportive so far.

I loved the classes at the gym but doing it at home would save me petrol/bus fares and the cost of a gym membership. Although, I understand the DVD packs like insanity can be real expensive.

Thanks for any suggestions/comments/advice in advance :)

Replies

• SirDoctorofTARDIS
    SirDoctorofTARDIS Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I love using my workout DVDs (Insanity, P90x2, P90x). The great part about these DVDs, is that you can get away with using exercise bands or body weight. Most of the time you do not need too much room. Although, I do have issues with my ceiling for some of the plyo workouts. It is easier to workout at home but it is easier to skip a workout at home since you don't have to drive to the gym. I would look for used copies of whatever workout DVDs you want to do (that's what I did) or even look on youtube. I know people have talked about several different workout channels on youtube. I can't talk specifics on them becuase I have not used them before. I hope that help! :smile:
  • rennacoco
    Options
    you should check out cassey ho's blogilates. her workouts are intense and you don't need a lot of room to do them. all of her videos can be found on youtube and her website. also, her website comes with monthly workout calendars and also has meal plans and recipes :)
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I do only videos since I don't have access to a gym. I love it personally. It's easier for me to find the time to workout at home than it is to find the time to prep, drive, workout, drive home. Sometimes when I'm super busy I'll take a break in the video to go put laundry in the washer or dryer. lol

I wish I could afford the Beachbody workouts but I can't so I borrow them whenever I can since I have friends who like doing them.

I mostly do videos from YouTube (there are TONS of good workouts on there).

Also, it doesn't matter how much space you have. I literally have a 5 by 8 foot ish sized area to workout in. Seriously. No joke. And it's also my sewing/laundry/craft/office room so somedays the floor is completely filled up with stuff. I can do almost any workout in this small space. There's only a few workouts I can't do.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I second that YouTube is full of useful videos. I have an exercise playlist that includes Zumba, light hand weight workouts, yoga, and stability ball workouts. I'm buying a rebounder this week and I've already started a playlight for that as well. I hooked up my old laptop to some pretty good speakers. Fortunately, I have an unused guest room for this purpose. My dog likes hanging out on the twin bed in there and watching me.

I could join a gym, I guess, but I really like being home since I'm away at work so much of the day anyway.
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I have been doing DVDs at home for almost 3 years and yes, success at first but have plateaued. And have done so many different ones I am rather bored. I am contemplating joining the Y....there is something about wanting to push yourself harder when you have eyes on you.
  • e_elizb
    e_elizb Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I second blogilates and third youtube. Haha they are kind the same thing though! Cassey Ho from blogilates is completely intense! If you are more out of shape then you want to be she also has a beginner calendar to get you into it. I personally find the gym environment more conducive to for sure get things done. But I totally understand that it is sometimes impossible whether that is because its to expensive or inconvenient. At home ones are great, but I find it easier to quit while at home, which is bad.
  • Rerun201
    Rerun201 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Training at home is cheaper and more efficient than training at a gym. Whether you use a DVD or not, I think it is just a better way to go. Money saved on gym dues can be used to buy your own equipment that you won't have to drive 20 miles or wait in line to use.

I like Mark Lauren's books, Body by You (directed towards women) and You Are Your Own Gym. YAYOG has a smartphone app that is available, iOS or Android, to take you through the program. He also has a couple DVD programs out, but I haven't seen them.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I chucked the gym membership about this time last year in favour of the Jillian Michael's workout DVDs that I purchased as a boxset (you can find them on Youtube).

I love that I save on travel and costs. And there are no excuses for not doing a work out as it is only a 1minute walk from my bed! I now work out 6 days a week where I used to do it 5 when I was attending the gym.

I am also getting better results as I would be watching tv, listening to music and scanning through magazines to try and distract myself at the gym for the 45min work out.

I work out in my study, which is approx 2metres x 4 metres.

I have started doing Insanity this year.

I don't think I will ever join a gym again.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I do a combo of workout DVD's and youtube. Blogilates, XHIT, Zuzka Light, and LiveStrongWoman are the ones I visit the most as far as youtube. Great variety of yoga, pilates, cardio, HIITs, and a TON of strength routines, both full body and specific areas. But I also think that as long as you're going to do them, the workout DVD's are worth the money since you'll be getting a whole system that does all the hard things for you. Turbo Fire, T25, and Body Revolution are the ones I've tried and they are awesome! I'm doing T25 right now, but I still do the strength routines from Blogilates and LivestrongWoman (usually just 10 minutes or so on each body part) so it's very easy to combine them. I like some variety! Anyways, since I'm a military spouse, I have free access to a few gyms, but they just aren't for me. It's not that I'm that self conscious, I'd just rather jump right into my own shower (with my trillions of products) afterwards, and not have to drive in the crazy traffic around here to get to the gym. My husband loves the gym though and regularly goes with his buddies. So I think it's just what you like. See if your gym has one of those try us for free deals. Sometimes they'll let you come in for a week to get a feel for the place before you commit to becoming a member.

Edit: I forgot! Zuzka Light has a tight space workout that you might want to look up on youtube. Great workout that needs VERY little space. :D
  • Katus130
    Katus130 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of workout DVDs. If you have any sort of streaming subscriptions like Amazon prime that is a really good place to look. Youtube also has a ton. For me, the most I do at the gym is cardio if the weather is really bad (I use my schools gym) otherwise all of my workouts are done at home or outside (running or at the ice rink).

I also think that the variety of things available for at home exercise has really helped me to not get bored. Subsequently, I workout more often.
  • tatiianag13
    tatiianag13 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    The best one is the one you'll do. The pro of the gym is that I find all I have to do is get there. Once I get there, I work out and work out hard. Gyms also have a variety of classes--if you like group fitness, gym fees are a lot cheaper than class-by-class fees.

The con of the gym is that you have to get there! DVD's can be done at home. But because you can do it "anytime," many people find that that they don't schedule it/make time for it. And sometimes when no one is looking at you, you don't work as hard (or quit!). And a DVD has a limited number of routines. I get really bored really easily.

But my vote is to experiment. Which one works for you? Find a month to month gym. If you don't like it, you can quit If you have the internet, you don't' even have to buy a DVD--there are a zillion, free online workouts. And I don't mean illegal torrents either.

Personally, I do everything. I join month-to-month gyms in the winter. I do online videos when I need a little spice. And I run/walk outside. I mix it up depending on my preferences.
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I do both. I love my gym classes the people Ive meet and the fun I've had the way I push myself in a group setting and the correction on form you cant get from a dvd's but its not always possible to get to the gym so I'll pop in p90x or do Nike training club as a sub. they all work me but each has its own thing to offer. I like the verity. If money is really tight you might look into a small locally owned gym they are sometimes cheaper and in my opinion almost always better investment or just do the videos.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    My family has a Y membership, which my husband uses. I do go from time to time, but I find it easier to workout at home. I often only have an hour to workout, while my kids are at an afternoon activity. And I really HAVE to be finished by a certain time to pick them up. If I take out the drive time to and from, it gets about half of my workout time, so home is soooo much better for me most of the time.

I have almost all of Jillian michaels dvds. They cost about $9 each. They are good circuit training. They have some cardio, and the strength training can be as hard as you want to make it because you can always use heavier weights. I have weights in 2.5 lbs, 5 lbs, 8 lbs, 10, lbs, 12 lbs, and 15 lbs. I started with 2, 5, and 8's and added as I got stronger. I workout in my bedroom, which is small. My workout area is about 3x8, and sometimes I have to be a little creative in my use of space. If you don't like DVDs, check out the book "Body for Life" which is a good guide for beginning weightlifting with dumbells. Again, you can make it as hard as you want by adding more weight.

The best cardio is right outside your door, and costs only the price of a good pair of shoes--walking and/or running. You can find a beginners guide--couch to 5k--online and follow it. Also, a bike is great for really hot weather if you have one. I personally would rather be outside walking, running, or biking any time rather than in a gym on a treadmill, etc.