Cold morning breakfast ideas

Options

Replies

• jldoody
    Options
    I make steel cut oatmeal on the wekeend in a big batch and then parsel out into smaller containers for the mornings. I just put in some water or skim milk and microwave the smaller container for a couple of minutes and I'm done fast and easy. I make my oatmeal with water to cut down on teh calories both when cooking it and then reheating it. Two "favorite" topings lately have been "almond joy" where I put in a some almond slivers and shredded cocount. I had some almond joy creamer and I'd put a splash of that in also. other one was around thanksgiving where we had left over cranberry relish - put in a spoonfool of the relish in with the oatmeal - gives it a litle kick of tartness which was surprisingly refreshing for breakfast!
  • BaoCat
    BaoCat Posts: 42
    Options
    google baked oatmeal.

Plenty of healthy (and unhealthy) versions of it. I can't have it now (too high in carbs) but I use to love to make a pan of it and take squares into work for breakfast. It's usually great cold, but good reheated with milk dumped on it as well.

Also, overnight oatmeal, if you want a container to grab and go for work. I loved the banana +PB versions of this, but pretty much, you can do whatever. Add flax seed, chia seed, whatever fruit and flavorings seem good to you. No cooking required, just some canning jars +lids.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and cocoa porridge sounds good, will give that a try tomorrow, thanks!

You're welcome! Oatmeal by itself gets boring after a while. . . so I make it interesting. I like to add ground cinnamon, ginger, cloves and allspice and use strongly brewed chai tea instead of water or milk.

Yes that does sound soo good! Chai tea also is a brilliant idea I've never thought of. I never thought of using anything else but milk. How do you both prepare your oatmeal? Mine always ends up gummy :/

I use half a cup of quick oat and a cup of liquid. I microwave it for a minute at a time then stir for a while. In my old, old microwave it takes about 3 minutes. I let it sit for a minute to soak up all the stuff and it ends up thick and creamy.
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I have a tuna melt with pepper jack cheese on Ezekiel bread along with 5 eggs every morning pre w/o
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal with vanilla protein powder, walnuts and some sort of fruit - usually blueberries.

Yumola!
  • exercise2day2
    exercise2day2 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I know it sound simple, but how about toast? Right now I am eating Stone Mill 12 sprouted grain dark rye bread with peanut butter.
  • jodi41086
    jodi41086 Posts: 240
    Options
    oatmeal with protein powder, or fruit, my hubby does maple syrup in his. i'll do a couple pieces are extra dark chocolate
  • Sarahnade42x
    Sarahnade42x Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is probably the go-to warm breakfast, but for a change: I like to make this recipe (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/simple-baked-apples/) but substitute 1/2 cup almond milk and 1/4 cup stevia instead of whole milk and sugar. I serve it with a 1/2 cup of plain greek yogurt for a breakfast (or dessert!) that fits my macros nicely.
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    2sluces silver hills little big bread, toasted topped with 1wedge laughing cow cheese, with 2poached eggs. Fruit on the side. Warm and a punch of protein for the cold winters.
  • mbskippywi
    mbskippywi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is the link to a steel cut oatmeal recipe. Very easy to do and it cooks overnight in a slow cooker while you are sleeping so you wake up to a warm breakfast! Calorie content is listed and it is already entered into the data base so when you plug into the food diary it is all there for you. The temperature here without the wind chill is in the negative degrees so it has been a lifesaver for our family!! :wink:

http://www.theyummylife.com/Slow_Cooker_Apple_Cinnamon_Oatmeal
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    There is a recipe in here from around a month ago for overnight oatmeal with greek yogurt and various mix ins. It can be eaten at room temp too if you don't like it cold from the fridge.

Also milk itself has a decent amount of protein so any type of cocoa made with milk will help you get near your protein breakfast goals. Another thing is to eat french toast that has soaked up some egg, but if you avoid eggs for texture or taste this will work, if you avoid them because of an allergy or veganism it won't.
  • nwoychyshyn
    nwoychyshyn Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Quinoa breakfast. Cook up one cup, add apple, some brown sugar and spices, raisins and walla. Eat a 1/4 of this it will hold you till lunch.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Protein pancakes and a wide array of baked goods are my current choice.
  • JohnsElan
    Options
    Coffee and a steaming hot bowl of farina first thing in the morning tames the chill-beast!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    why no eggs?

Oh well...I generally have a bowl of oats with some apple, cinnamon, and just a bit of brown sugar with some scrambled eggs for protein. Without the protein I'm pretty hungry within a couple of hours. Of course, wash that all down with a cup 'o joe.
  • Rerun201
    Rerun201 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal.
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
    1/2 serving Nature Valley granola (the one with protein)
    1/2 serving pomegranate arils (the inside of a pomegranate and you can buy it already seeded in a cup for less hassle)
    1 packet of your choice of sweetener

305 calories and 22g protein (pretty good for no eggs!)
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    cream mushroom soup
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I have a hot, freshly made muffin every morning. This is my recipe:

1/4 cup Flax Meal (I've also tried Almond, Chickpea, and Buckwheat flours and it worked fine too)
    1/2 tsp Baking Powder
    1/4 tsp Sugar (optional)
    Pinch of Salt
    1/2 tbsp Oil or Butter (I use butter because, YUM!)
    1 Egg
    (I've also added a tsp of flavorless Metamucil to this and it works. I get enough fiber, but my husband likes when I add more since he never gets enough)

I make a big batch of the dry ingredients and keep them in a container and then just use a heaping 1/4 cup so that I don't have to grab all the ingredients every morning. After my morning cup of coffee, I just mix this in the mug, microwave for 1 minute, cut in half (it slides right out of the mug), and finish with a little more butter. It's warm, fresh, and I'm using an already dirty dish, so less clean up! It's about 300 calories with the Metamucil, with 13 grams of fiber. Without is about 275 with 8 grams of fiber.
  • Jess_Forever_After
    Jess_Forever_After Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Microwaved leftover dinner makes a good hot breakfast :)