I need Healthy Pizza recipes

Options
I want to make a home made pizza but I want it to be healthy. I am tired of eating so much carbs and food in high calories. Does anyone know a good easy healthy pizza recipe they can share? Thanks!

Replies

• czechwolf52
    czechwolf52 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I LOVE pizza, and in order to get my fix I usually make individual tortilla pizzas. I like using:

low carb tortillas- 60 calories
    pizza sauce- 30 calories
    1-1.5 servings of mozzarella cheese- 80-120
    Chicken or turkey pepperoni- 50 calories
    Italian seasoning and oregano

So the whole pizza is about 220-260 calories, depending on how much cheese you use. I put it in the oven at 375 for 10 minutes and my meal is done. The whole thing from start to finish only takes 15 minutes. When you want pizza, but don't want the calories this will help you get your fix.
  • sami_83
    sami_83 Posts: 161
    Options
    I can't recommend specific pizza bases as I am on the other side of the planet to you! But I can recommend a yummy topping- my favourite combo is mushroom, zucchini and potato with pesto in place of tomato paste/sauce. I also add a bit of feta and some garlic sauce if I'm feeling a bit fancy. I slice the zucchini and potato with a v-slicer so they're very thin. You don't need much spud.

When I make pizza for the boyfriend it generally has shredded roast chicken, capsicum, onion, tomato, pineapple, olives, mushroom and any other veg lurking in the fridge. Lots of veggies = more filling/better for you. Basically you can't go wrong with stacks of veggies and a bit less cheese. Experiment and have some fun with it :smile:
  • Iansmommy123011
    Iansmommy123011 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Thanks :) I will have to check them out. I can't wait to make them.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    My wife and I regularly make our own pizza from scratch.

Crust:
    1 cup lukewarm milk or water
    1/4 cup melted butter (4 tbsp)
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp sugar
    1 package dry yeast, combined with 1/4 cup warm water (about 110 degrees F) until dissolved
    About 3-1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour

1. in an 8 or 9 inch bowl, combine the lukewarm water or milk, melted butter, salt, and sugar and blend well.
    2. Add the dissolved yeast, mix, then add the flour about 1 cup at a time, beating after each addition with a long, leavy wooden spool until smooth.
    3. When the mixture gets too stiff to beat, turn out onto a floured surface, add more flour if the dough is very sticky, and knead for several minutes (adding flour as necessary) until the dough is not too soft and not too stiff.
    4. Split dough in half and knead each into a ball. Place the balls on a floured flat pan , lightly brush the top with oil, cover with waxed paper and let rise for 20 minutes (dough should about double in size)
    5. Roll each piece to fit a pizza pan (12 to 14 inches) and let dough rest for about 20 minutes. 12" gives you a thicker crust (not really deep dish, but thicker than your standard slice), and 14" is more along the lines of your standard delivery pizza from a decent restaurant.

The crust on it's own is 115 calories per slice, assuming you split it evenly and cut each pie into 8 slices.

Once the crust is done:
    1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
    2. Add your sauce, toppings, and cheese, then bake for about 25 minutes or until done.

Top the pizza as desired. Our sauce is a variant of the Moosewood Cookbook Italian Tomato Sauce (for pizza sauce I use crushed tomatoes rather than whole peeled), but any smooth sauce works. We tend to use about 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 cups part skim Mozzarella cheese and generally do one meat pizza and one veggie pizza. Some of our favorite toppings are:

Italian Turkey Sausage (regular or hot)
    Turkey pepperoni
    Skinless garlic and spinach chicken sausage
    Green peppers
    Red onions
    Fresh spinach
    Mushrooms
    Broccoli

Generally with these toppings, there are about 180 - 250 calories per slice (depending on quantity of each of the toppings used). Two slices is nice and filling, and then we have a couple of days worth of lunches too.

The best part is that we control the ingredients and know exactly what we are putting into it, and can make it as light or as heavy as we want.
  • MyIdaho54
    MyIdaho54 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions! In to keep the thread!
  • mrykyldy2
    mrykyldy2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    my favorite is to take a large portabello mushroom, stem side up with the stem cut off, find a marinara sauce you like, your favorite low fat cheese, and what ever toppings you want bake for about 30 - 40 minutes.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    If I don't want the high carbs, but I want pizza, I make a savoury protein pancake and use that as a base.
  • hannahwrnr
    hannahwrnr Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I like tortillas for making personal pizzas. I've seen the cauliflower pizza crust and would love to try it, but just haven't yet so I can't really recommend it. As far as toppings go, I like marinara (made by me or a natural one), peppers (any color), onion, olives, and broccoli. I know it sounds weird, but it just works. Oh and cheese of course.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I use MEB wholemeal pita bread, spread it with 1-2tbs of tomato paste mixed with garlic and herbs, sprinkle it with 25g cheddar to make stuff stick then top it with roasted pumpkin, rocket, mushrooms, reduced fat fetta, kalamata olives, cherry tomatoes, eggplant and proiscutto. Nom nom nom!!
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I like tortillas for making personal pizzas. I've seen the cauliflower pizza crust and would love to try it, but just haven't yet so I can't really recommend it. As far as toppings go, I like marinara (made by me or a natural one), peppers (any color), onion, olives, and broccoli. I know it sounds weird, but it just works. Oh and cheese of course.

I tried making a Cauliflower crust pizza once. It didn't turn out perfectly lol. It tasted amazing but the crust was too moist and crumbly.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Put pizza stuff on a flat-out wrap (90 cals, 9g protein)
    Heat it
    Profit
  • pds06
    pds06 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Flatout flatbread and low carb tortillas make great crust. Lots of veggies and lite on the cheese.
  • pds06
    pds06 Posts: 299 Member
    Options

I tried making a Cauliflower crust pizza once. It didn't turn out perfectly lol. It tasted amazing but the crust was too moist and crumbly.
    Yea I have never heard anyone who has had luck with the cauliflower thing.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    I usually make everything from scratch. Pizza dough is pretty easy to make, but does require a bit of work.

This is the recipe I use most commonly:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/pizza-dough-recipe/index.html

For toppings, I usually pre-roast vegetables in the oven with a little salt, pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil before topping the pizza. For veggie pizza, I use diced onions, sliced green peppers, banana peppers, garlic, and plum tomatoes. Roast them to taste then take the peeled roasted garlic and sautee mushrooms in pressed garlic and olive oil. Sometimes I add bacon, and instead of frying the bacon, I bake it on a broiler pan to drain out excess fat. It gets really crispy and light like this. We usually use fresh mozzarella also, and it turns out great every time and comes to about 150-200 calories per slice (8 slices per pizza).
  • Iansmommy123011
    Iansmommy123011 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to try these different pizza's. :)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you consider high carb, but here is the Chicken Alfredo with Spinach pizza I will be making on Friday:

1 Boboli Thin Crust Pizza crust
    1/2 cup light alfredo sauce
    1 6 oz bag of Tyson Ready to Eat grilled chopped chicken breast
    1 cup fresh or frozen spinach, thawed and drained if frozen
    1 cup Sargento 6 cheese Italian blend
    1/2 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
    2 garlic cloves

Preheat oven to 450.

Split garlic cloves and rub over crust (gives garlic flavor by rubbing the oils onto the crust). Then spread the alfredo sauce over the crust, leaving about an inch sized boarder. The top with chicken, spinach, mushrooms, and then cheese.

Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and cheese melted.

Makes 6 slices. Stats per slice:
    Calories: 264
    Carbs: 27g
    Fat: 10g
    Protein: 18g
  • cmurphy252
    cmurphy252 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I LOVE pizza, and in order to get my fix I usually make individual tortilla pizzas. I like using:

low carb tortillas- 60 calories
    pizza sauce- 30 calories
    1-1.5 servings of mozzarella cheese- 80-120
    Chicken or turkey pepperoni- 50 calories
    Italian seasoning and oregano

So the whole pizza is about 220-260 calories, depending on how much cheese you use. I put it in the oven at 375 for 10 minutes and my meal is done. The whole thing from start to finish only takes 15 minutes. When you want pizza, but don't want the calories this will help you get your fix.

This sounds awesome! Will be trying it this evening :-)
  • zimpf
    zimpf Posts: 1
    Options
    Google meatza pizza recipes - we have tried a couple and they are very good. You can use grass feed beef, sugar free or low sugar pizza sauce and we loaded ours with tons of vegetables. No crust.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    my favorite is to take a large portabello mushroom, stem side up with the stem cut off, find a marinara sauce you like, your favorite low fat cheese, and what ever toppings you want bake for about 30 - 40 minutes.

This sounds delicious! I'm going to make some of these this week. Thanks!