Running during winter?

Options
2»

Replies

• RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Just a couple cents worth.

There are many mental blocks to running, it can be night, cold, wind, rain, or whatever we want to imagine. With proper gear and caution there are few conditions that can't be managed (lightning for example). I live in Iowa, been running for 15 years and have learned to enjoy the winter running (mostly for crazy looks as mentioned above). I have cleats to run on ice, and plenty of layers and gear to stay warm. Including a way to store water under my jacket so it doesn't freeze at -20F

Beside running, yes, I even bike all year with studded tires. Riding at night and on snow have been a phobia for year, not now, and yet another example of attacking the mental block and discovered it is a lot of fun!

One simple "trick", when the hands get numb due to the cold. Here is how to help.. It is due to poor circulation because all the blood is going to the legs doing the work. This will look dumb, but works. Do some fist clamps, then wave the hands down, then up, fist clamps again and repeat a few times. This gets some fresh circulation to the hands, and heat is transfered by blood flow. They will perk right up again.

So... knock em out, no worries.

Ray
  • pattyg02
    pattyg02 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just started running this past May and I absolutely love it. I am very impressed with myself that I have actually made it outside 4 days this week for my evening run. I am of course very careful to only run in my neighborhood and I wear bright clothing so that cars will see me. This weekend my plan is to grab a running vest so that I have double protection even though I am only running on the sidewalks it's still better for people to know that you are there. I really hope that I am able to maintain my momentum throughout the winter and keep on running.

If anyone is a runner and would like to be friends to keep eachother motovated send me a invite request. :flowerforyou:
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    Options
    It takes some getting used to but cold weather running is fun! Like everybody said, be sure to layer (with wicking material as your base next to your skin), and stay hydrated. You will warm up pretty quickly.
  • m_Wysor
    Options
    That's actually my favorite time to run, body burns more calories. Not to mention it's A TON prettier to run in the winter, where I live at least.
  • tracybarnhill
    Options
    Bump: Haven't ran when there was snow outside, but going to try colder weather this year..
  • vonnegut2767
    Options
    Looking forward to winter running this year, just got my Yaktrax delivered this week! Of course I'm in Canada so now I just have to figure out how to dodge all the polar bears............