Neutral running shoes

Options
I am looking for some new running shoes. I am a neutral towards forefoot runner currently doing low mileage but hoping to work towards a half marathon this year. If it's relevant I am 5'4" and about 103lbs.

Replies

• riverain
    riverain Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Since you are planning to run a half marathon, Find a local running store and pay them a visit. Every foot is shaped different and every persons gait is different and every model of shoe is different and changes year to year... If it is a good running store, they will tAke the time to fit you with the right shoe and have you try on as many pairs as you need to find the right one. It is worth it even if you only go once to find the perfect fitting shoe. I am also Training for a half this year, and have done 10milers in the past. I Have tried so many different shoes that when i find a pair i really like after a few weeks i will order a second pair just in case the future models change. The wrong fitting shoe can make life extremely miserable!
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Did that last week hence found out am neutral forefoot runner. They suggested three options Brooks Pure, Asics Nimbus or Mizuno Wave Rider (their first choice). However they are the most expensive local shop and usually recommend shoes only they carry so hence want other suggestions to also consider.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    go here http://www.eastbay.com/ and search for women's neutral running shoes and you will have tons of option in lots of price ranges
  • OliviaMG1
    OliviaMG1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am also a neutral runner. Love love love my Brooks Ghost 6! I was a Nike girl to the core for years. But when I started going through running shoes faster than they were making new models, I didn't want to buy the exact same pair. Anyway, tried Asics kayanos & they were ok, but heavier. The Brooks are by far my favorite. I have run several half marathons in all different shoes & am now training for a full. Very happy with these.
    Good luck!
  • bonnielee708
    bonnielee708 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'll second the Brooks Ghost series! I have walked several marathons and run several shorter races in Ghost trainers (my first was 2, I am now at 6) never a blister and perfect for high arches.

I should also say, I have fitted insoles from Road Runner (Shoe Dog), in case that makes a difference.
  • Zoekat05
    Zoekat05 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Given you're a light runner, may want to consider Saucony Kinvara. I also like New Balance 890s, my go to marathon training shoe(I'm neutral mid-foot striker).
  • heroeslegend
    heroeslegend Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    New Balance 1080's and Zoot Ultra TT 5.0's for the win. I absolutely swear by them!
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Did that last week hence found out am neutral forefoot runner. They suggested three options Brooks Pure, Asics Nimbus or Mizuno Wave Rider (their first choice). However they are the most expensive local shop and usually recommend shoes only they carry so hence want other suggestions to also consider.

They are "expensive" because they provide a valuable service to their customers... and freeloaders.
  • emmab0902
    Options

They are "expensive" because they provide a valuable service to their customers... and freeloaders.

How does that justify charging more for the same shoe?
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options

How does that justify charging more for the same shoe?

Do the employees at the discount shoe stores know what type of shoe you need? You are not only paying for the shoe, you are paying for their service.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    There are still different types of neutral shoes available so you are always best in getting advice from a running shop
  • AyaRowan
    AyaRowan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Have you worn minimal or zero drop shoes before? Or will this be your first pair of shoes geared toward a forefoot gait?

This past Black Friday sale, I decided to invest in my first pair of minimal drop (4mm drop) shoes, and I got pair of New Balance Women's WT10v2 Minimus Trail Running Shoes for around 40% off. I must admit that I only got the trail version because the treads looked sturdier and less prone to slipping, not because I intend to run on trail. I wear it for everyday as well as exercise.

Considering the fact that my previous shoes were about eight year old New Balance walking shoes with a huge drop and holes worn in the sides, it was a big change for me once I switched over to my Minimus shoes. They felt lightweight, properly fitted, and had ample room for my wider than usual toebox. It was also possible to "feel" what I was walking on, driving in them was easier, my mid/forefoot gait didn't make my shoes drag like the clunky older ones.

That being said, that ability to feel what you're walking on is something you have to get used to in a walking or running shoe. My feet started hurting sooner than in my old, ridiculously padded and ragged shoes, but I think this is something that requires time to adjust if you're switching over from the typical high drop shoes suited for heel strikers. I haven't been being as active as I should be this winter, so I haven't fully tested the shoes. I also have way more weight on my feet to make them hurt than you would, so my issue may not apply to you. But so far I love the shoes.

Anyway, the whole point of this post was to say that changing from regular shoes to minimal or zero drop shoes for the first time may take time to adjust. If you've never ran in zero drop shoes before, I'd recommend trying 4mm or minimal drop shoes first. To give yourself a kind of middle ground.
  • emmab0902
    Options
    Have you worn minimal or zero drop shoes before? Or will this be your first pair of shoes geared toward a forefoot gait?

This past Black Friday sale, I decided to invest in my first pair of minimal drop (4mm drop) shoes, and I got pair of New Balance Women's WT10v2 Minimus Trail Running Shoes for around 40% off. I must admit that I only got the trail version because the treads looked sturdier and less prone to slipping, not because I intend to run on trail. I wear it for everyday as well as exercise.

Considering the fact that my previous shoes were about eight year old New Balance walking shoes with a huge drop and holes worn in the sides, it was a big change for me once I switched over to my Minimus shoes. They felt lightweight, properly fitted, and had ample room for my wider than usual toebox. It was also possible to "feel" what I was walking on, driving in them was easier, my mid/forefoot gait didn't make my shoes drag like the clunky older ones.

That being said, that ability to feel what you're walking on is something you have to get used to in a walking or running shoe. My feet started hurting sooner than in my old, ridiculously padded and ragged shoes, but I think this is something that requires time to adjust if you're switching over from the typical high drop shoes suited for heel strikers. I haven't been being as active as I should be this winter, so I haven't fully tested the shoes. I also have way more weight on my feet to make them hurt than you would, so my issue may not apply to you. But so far I love the shoes.

Anyway, the whole point of this post was to say that changing from regular shoes to minimal or zero drop shoes for the first time may take time to adjust. If you've never ran in zero drop shoes before, I'd recommend trying 4mm or minimal drop shoes first. To give yourself a kind of middle ground.

I'm not after minimal shoes but not necessarily anti a slightly lower drop either
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    OP, when I had mine checked they said I was the same as you.

My feet killed me in the brooks ghost as others were suggesting. I ended up in Pearl Izumi road N1 and my feet couldn't be happier.