22, Female, 5'6", 319lbs... >.<

Options
I honestly don't even know where to begin.

This obesity battle has been going on since I was 13 years old.

I feel like I could be the poster child for food addiction.

My "drugs" of choice would be cheese, bacon, ground beef, pasta (mainly spaghetti), fast food (and I'm not talking the healthy stuff), and breads.

Although my diet is still terrible, i'm thankfully not a sugar junkie. I don't really care too much for pastries, cakes, cookies, and candy. I do love chocolate, but I rarely consume desserts or candies of any sort.

I'm also an emotional eater (surprise right?) so I have a SERIOUS issue with portion control.

I just started taking metaformin for my 6.5 A1C blood level this evening... Today my doctor told me that I really should consider lap band surgery.

This is my last chance to do this on my own without surgical intervention. I don't want to have to resort to going under the knife if I can help it. I have heard more bad things than good about these weight loss surgeries and I have a wonderful two year old (almost three) son and a husband to live for. I feel like i'm more than capable of doing this on my own... I just need help... Guidance. Anything...

I had heard that the MFP community was great for that sort of support, so here I am.

I have been a prisoner of my own body for a decade now. I'm ready to be the thin and healthy woman I know I'm supposed to be.

(EDIT: Just to add... I don't have any unrealistic expectations. When I say I'm ready to be "thin", I mean thinner than I am now. I don't expect to be "model" thin... Ever. I just want to be healthy. Whatever weight that may be.)

Replies

• nicole_skalski
    nicole_skalski Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You can do this, I believe in you. You are strong and you no longer need to let your weight define you. It's easier than you think. I have been an emotional eater all my life too, but I am doing better. Talk to us about it rather than eating our feelings, you know? Because I KNOW you can do this girl! Add me?
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    let me help you reach your goals. one pound at a time. no surgery needed. add me!
  • mteague277
    mteague277 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You've taken the first step! If you stay within your calories, you will lose weight. But even if you don't, log it anyway. I've noticed keeping my diary open to friends keeps me more accountable. Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • BrittneyJ2006
    BrittneyJ2006 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi. As I read your post I saw many similarities in myself. I've struggled most of my life as well and I'm over 300lbs. I've never been much of a sugar junkie either, but I still have terrible eating habits. This is definitely a great community. I'm new to it as well. You're taking the first step with getting control over your weight and that's great!
  • lbelsches1
    lbelsches1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You can do this, I believe in you. You are strong and you no longer need to let your weight define you. It's easier than you think. I have been an emotional eater all my life too, but I am doing better. Talk to us about it rather than eating our feelings, you know? Because I KNOW you can do this girl! Add me?

Thank you very much for your kind response. Now that I've finally taken the step to post in here, I think I'll be more comfortable talking to you guys in the forums. I've been a member (with a few different usernames) here for well over a year or two... I have honestly been too intimidated by everyone here to post.. Sounds silly. I know. I just was.

I feel like all of you know what you're doing, and I'm like a deer caught in the headlights. I have been battling obesity since I was very young, but haven't learned anything other than I can't seem to do it right.

So i'm glad I've found a place I can come to where people can relate.
  • lbelsches1
    Options
    let me help you reach your goals. one pound at a time. no surgery needed. add me!

Thank you. ^_^
  • lbelsches1
    Options
    You've taken the first step! If you stay within your calories, you will lose weight. But even if you don't, log it anyway. I've noticed keeping my diary open to friends keeps me more accountable. Feel free to add me if you'd like.

Staying within my calories has been immensely difficult... But I *do* log my overages anyway. It *does* keep me accountable. I'm not quite ready to expose my diary to friends, but perhaps when I have more knowledge and find a good diet to follow, I will. Right now my diary is just terrible. I'm just starting out and I'm trying to ease my way into this (as to avoid yet another failure) so some of the foods I'm eating are big "no no's".

But I agree... That'll help me be more accountable when I'm able to let people see it.
  • lbelsches1
    Options
    Hi. As I read your post I saw many similarities in myself. I've struggled most of my life as well and I'm over 300lbs. I've never been much of a sugar junkie either, but I still have terrible eating habits. This is definitely a great community. I'm new to it as well. You're taking the first step with getting control over your weight and that's great!

Thank you! It's so reassuring to know that I"m not alone and that there are others that have struggled just as much with their weight as I have mine.
  • callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options
    Hi there,

I think by coming on here you have done the right thing. I always struggle to keep my portions reasonable and decided to come on here daily so I can measure everything I do and remind myself I'm not the only one trying to get healthy.

You'll have a lot of support here so don't hesitate to reach out if you need help.

A good way to stick to your goal might be to set yourself small manageable goals and when you hit certain targets, give yourself a treat such as a nice new haircut, a new pair of jeans, etc, just to keep you going!

Good luck :)
  • Jaymestar
    Jaymestar Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you want to. I read your story and I'm very happy you are taking this first step in the right direction. I wish you the very best in your goal to become healthier for your family and ultimately... yourself. It would be lovely if we could be of some support to each other. :)
  • maz2469
    maz2469 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    We all have to start somewhere and will continue to learn as we go so don't feel intimidated by us, we all were beginners once...

Just take small steps / changes everyday and they will form into big steps. Only we can make them. Surround yourself with reminders to why you're making the changes. After some time they will become natural and a way of life.

What really helped me was planning planning planning. I bring my food in for the week, and I'll know what I will reach for if I happen to forget anything. It's not alwasy easy and you won't always be perfect, but forgive yourself, and keep plugging on!

Feel free to add me :)
  • tanyatabone9
    tanyatabone9 Posts: 39 Member
    Options

Staying within my calories has been immensely difficult... But I *do* log my overages anyway. It *does* keep me accountable. I'm not quite ready to expose my diary to friends, but perhaps when I have more knowledge and find a good diet to follow, I will. Right now my diary is just terrible. I'm just starting out and I'm trying to ease my way into this (as to avoid yet another failure) so some of the foods I'm eating are big "no no's".

But I agree... That'll help me be more accountable when I'm able to let people see it.

Hi There,

I have sent you a friend request. Basically, I have the same issues, and I am very similar, including taste wise, except that I'm a vegetarian.

I just wanted to add my two cents worth on this. I still "cave" every now and then. One big lesson that I am starting to learn though is that in order to feel better and start to heal, you have to try to stop having such big serves of guilt with your 'bad' foods. MFP is a great tool to help learn balance. I certainly go over about half the time, and often on the foods that are ''bad'', but I get better and better every day and going over is still mostly under maintenance so overall this has resulted in a loss for me.

There are still good days and bad days, I hope this advice helps. I know you can do this without surgery! Best of luck!
  • nicstir
    nicstir Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You can do this, great motivation!!
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    MFP has worked for me.

My Tools:

1.Digital scale
    2. digital food scale
    3. Heart Rate Monitor.

My Rules: (Copied and Pasted from SideSteel's post...he said it succinctly and I thought..."Why re-invent the wheel?")

1. Eat the appropriate caloric (and macronutrient) intake for your goals and track intake accurately. I think eating mostly nutrient dense and whole foods while still allowing some "treats" is a reasonable starting point/guideline.
    2. Exercise regularly. Do something you enjoy or at worst case choose the least objectionable activity. Ideally you should include some form of resistance based training as a part of your program.
    3. Get adequate rest/sleep.
    4. Establish metrics and use them appropriately.
    5. Repeat.

Good luck to you! You can do it!

#goteammfp

If you want to add me, that's cool. If not, and you are interested in some motivational thoughts, you can check out my blog. I'm no blogger...but I do write down some of the ideas that motivate me from time to time: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jzalisa Hopefully you'll find something that helps.

Again, good luck. You CAN do it! :smile:
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely welcome to add me if you like!

I started my journey at about 338-ish. It was a struggle to get down to 320 due to other health issues I was experience. I finally decided that I clearly couldy do it on my own so I went in to the bariatric center at my hospital to talk to a doctor about surgery.

What I found out was that bariatric centers? They don't specialize in just surgery. They specialize in weightloss for people who have a LOT to lose, like us. They talked to me about better options and figured out a weight loss program that worked for me, adjusting along the way, no surgery required, not ever.. Right now I'm doing a low carb, high protein, gluten free diet. This is for me, not a universal diet. I had a severe gluten intolerance so this just made sense for me. THey also got me into a sort of support group once a week where a nutritionist, an exercise therapist, behaviorialists, dieticians...all these experts come in and talk to us about moving from having an eating disorder where food is this problematic, destructive force to turning it into just what it is - food, neither good nor bad. We talk about motivation, fitness, body image, destructive behaviors, triggers, patterns, calories, portions... It's been the best thing that has ever happened to me. This is, of course, just one way to go but if you feel like you need some guidance it can't hurt to talk to a bariatric doctor in a center that is set up with all the experts and equipment needed for people with a lot of weight to lose.

In 2013, primarily because of the weight loss plan and the group support, I've dropped 74 lbs. I was a mess when I started so if I can do it, anyone can do it if you really, really, really want it and if you're really ready to do what you have to do. The time will pass one way or another, so you might as well make it work for you :-) I think you'll do wonderfully and I'd love to be a part of your journey if you want a friend!
  • leannraya
    leannraya Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to add me. I totally know what you mean, I hate sweets/pastries/cake, but give me carbs/pizza/a loaf of bread any day.

I am just starting up again since I have to be in a wedding dress in 10 months, and I want to lose 30-50lbs.

Good luck, we are here for you!!