When was your last straw that made you want to change?

Options

Replies

• rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with my weight most of my life, I worked hard to get fit and healthy when my kids were 3 and 6 and maintained it until 2009. From there I struggled, my husband was in the mortgage business and we lost everything, started over like we were in our 20's the last 5 years were rough, we were finally able to breathe again and just started looking for houses and then Hurricane Isaac Aug 2009, flooded the rental we were living in and we lost everything again!

I've been pretty much in a funk since the house flooded and put on over 20 lbs! None of my clothes fit and I'm horribly out of shape, haven't worked out consistently in over a year and I can feel it. I'm slowly but surely knocking on 50's door and I don't want to be fat and out of shape. My last child is in high school, I don't want to spend my "golden years' fat and unhealthy and unhappy. Time to get off my *kitten* and get back in shape! :blushing:
  • godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Seeing that scale screen display 200 lb, not being able to go up one flight of stairs without feeling winded, always feeling lazy and tired at 20 years old. Ugh! Time to get to health!

Mine is similar to this^...

While the scale kept creeping up over the years, I would say to myself, "well, at least it's not 200. At least I'm under that." Then, when it crept to over 200, I would say, at least it's not 210. I'm under that. Etc, Etc. When it was Christmas time last year, and I dedided to weigh myself, and it hit 219, I said that is enough. My size 18 pants were getting TIGHT, and I didn't want to get into the 20's. I told myself "I'm losing this weight, and I'm not going to quit this time". I've been at it ever since (jan 1st last year).
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    For me, it was stepping on the doctor's scale a day before I had my second baby at 188 lbs after months and months of my doctor telling me I needed to slow down my weight gain. I was embarrassed. Nothing fit anymore but the maternity pants, even after I had my baby. I was just tired of feeling useless and sad about my weight gain. Especially when I held all the power to change it.
  • crissy1110
    crissy1110 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My son is seven months old and I don't want to be carrying any more of this baby weight around by the time he turns one!

Also, I want to start buying cute clothes again :)
  • xXBabyBelleXx
    xXBabyBelleXx Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    My last straw was gaining a stone in under 3 months and going up to a UK size 16! I couldn't believe it!

I feel huge as I have always been very fit and slim but I have slipped my exercise routine. I completed a 10K race in just over an hour 2 years ago, last night I couldn't run for more than a mile without needing to stop.

I feel so horrible about myself, when I used to love feeling sexy in my underwear - now I cant bear to look at myself as all I see is a huge stomach and hips.

Ive given up alcohol for three months, im eating only 1,500 calories a day, walking to and from work instead of driving and now running 2.4 miles three times a week - hopefully I will start to feel much better soon - fingers crossed!
  • jacqueinhutto
    jacqueinhutto Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting smoking....I gained 40 lbs after quitting smoking so now is a great time to concentrate on your weight as well. Quitting is one of the hardest things I have ever done...this weight loss thing should be a breeze. Good luck with both. Jacque
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I've battled depression for the past 5years! After giving birth in 2011 I managed to get my weight down. I looked and felt fabulous! My partner would just randomly stare at me and tell me how beautiful I was and how I was glowing . I just want to get back to that! No one should hate themselves I realize this now and know its upto me to put it right and lose some weight re gain that confidence :)

You ARE beautiful now - but I get the self confidence thing..totally!

As for me...

This is horrendous but I went to get weighed at my doctors visit. None of the scales would work for me (I was too big). So they sent me to the hospital to get weighed. I thought, "cool, they will have a higher capacity scale".

They sent me to the LAUNDRY SCALE!!

I was mortified.
  • elliotblacklock
    Options
    Started training a few years ago, seen a picture from my 21st Birthday bash, I never realized how out of hand it had gotten... fast forward a few years was feeling good and confident, dropped alot of fat weight and even started gaining muscularity. I had even started playing in team sports (big deal for me, as I was always the short fat kid at school who never got picked for anything)

Fast forward again a few changes in jobs left me with severe depression and anxiety, the sickness time I took resulted in losing my job. No money for the gym, no motivation for any excercise sought comfort in junk food, and BAM! right back where I was.

So it's round two for me, battled through my depression which was the priority at the time. New job and a better outlook on life time to get back in shape!
  • splixi
    splixi Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    A photo.

I saw it and just felt repulsed by myself.
  • chelskii22
    chelskii22 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Mine was photos of me on nights out in Amsterdam :-( I just wanted to cry for hours!!
  • Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I blogged about it. You won't believe it, but it is true. Read below.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Goal179/view/how-a-roach-saved-my-life-596707
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    A photo.

I saw it and just felt repulsed by myself.

This plus realising I couldn't fit into any of my clothes. I too was in denial but realised that I needed to learn to love myself and since there was no way I could love my body as it was it had to be changed.
  • carrieconnell33
    Options
    I am currently at my highest weight ever. I know that it is too much weight for my body because I start to have back problems, sore hips, feet and I know that it is my weight and level of inactivity. I feel like I am the last on my list of priorities. It's all about my kids and what they are eating, what they are doing and with who. I think that it is time to mind my own business and put that focus back on me. Christmas put me over the edge on the scale, time to claw back my figure and health!
  • LoyalAngel16
    LoyalAngel16 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    My last straw was being young and my body falling apart. I hit an all time high in weight and an all time low in life. I had given up. I was tired and sick all the time. I have PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) and Psoriatic Arthritis. I had gotten up to 315 pounds. I couldn't hardly get out of bed because of the arthritis. I had to quit my job because I just couldn't do it anymore. My blood pressure was out of control. Then my husband got sick and had to have several teeth pulled, he quit smoking because of it. I figured if he could give up his habit of smoking, then I could kick my habit of being lazy and eating whatever I wanted. He got me a recumberant bike and I started on the South Beach diet. In no time I lost 25 pounds. I got down 75 pounds. This past year I have gone up and down, but I think alot of that has to do with changes in meds for my PCOS. Plus stress and getting a new job and not being able to workout as often. I started this year out with working out, even if it's just at home, for about 30 minutes everyday. I've gained about 15 pounds back total. I need to get it back off. My arthritis is starting to bother me more and I want to have a baby. I have lost the weight before and I know I can again. I am not far from my goal weight. I only need to lose about 78 more pounds. I know I can do it.
  • feltlikesound
    feltlikesound Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Like so many, my clothes stopped fitting. One by one I had no pants that would squeeze on and was living exclusively in stretchy yoga style pants. Also, my spouse was having her own self-esteem battles -- it was time for us to make a unified choice to change the habits at home, and it has also meant we hit the gym together (which has been great for our fitness AND our relationship). Lastly, I had sciatic nerve pain. While I am sure it may resurface, I haven't felt even a twinge from it since we started weight training, 20 pounds ago.
  • JulieAnn72
    JulieAnn72 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I saw a picture of myself at a Christmas party last year (2012) and finally realized I had gained a lot more weight than I realized.
  • disneygrl213
    disneygrl213 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Refusing to let myself go back up in size with my clothes. I lost 40 lbs in 2006-07 and maintained until 2012 when I lost my brother. Gained 15 lbs and am creeping back into a larger size. My jeans are not comfortable on me anymore and I absolutely refuse to buy bigger sizes again (I got rid of them all).
  • disneygrl213
    disneygrl213 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I saw a picture of myself at a Christmas party last year (2012) and finally realized I had gained a lot more weight than I realized.

Yes, this too. I have seen several pictures of myself in recent months and could not believe my eyes. Isn't it funny how we see ourselves every day in the mirror and we know (or thing) we've put on a little, but when we see that picture it's a real eye opener.
  • 1julietax
    1julietax Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My yearly physical revealed high blood pressure and high cholesterol, the bad kind...So It really freaked me out.....heart issues run in my family so I want to get healthy.....
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    _MG_4103.jpg