Thoughts/Experience with Zumba.

Options
I'm looking for a fun workout. I thought about trying Zumba because people seem to like it, but I don't want to spend the money if it's not all it's cracked up to be. Thoughts?

Replies

• tj_17
    tj_17 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just got the Exhilarate Zumba DVD's & it is awesome!!! It really makes you sweat & you feel really sore the next morning! It's really worth it in my opinion; you burn a ton of calories within 45-60 minutes & you have a lot of fun!:D
  • Jaymeow11
    Options
    love zumba so much funner to do with a friend. but its just another cardio workout. i would do some online zumba videos before spending money
  • samr73
    samr73 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I absolutely swear by Zumba!! I've been lucky and have two great instructors (and it does make a big difference) but it's fun, you don't notice you're working hard and burn loads of calories - although as with everything, you have to work hard to get the results. It also gave me a mental boost when I desperately needed one so was kind of a whole package for me :-)
  • dankas001
    dankas001 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    there are loads of workouts on tou tube have a look
  • annafonte
    annafonte Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Zumba is a fun way to work out. I absolutely love it. I've got a wii so I have zumba for the wii. You burn a lot during zumba and you don't even notice as you're having so much fun.
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I do a Zumba class a few times a week and I love it! It's a ton of fun and you burn a load of calories doing it.
  • bgirls2
    Options
    I got the same set for Xmas. It is great!
  • kaji13
    kaji13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    They had a groupon for a place near me, $25 for 10 classes, can't go wrong with that! I've gone twice so far with a couple friends, it's a lot of fun! And I definitely sweat a ton and felt sore the next day
  • amyfullbrook
    amyfullbrook Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Zumba is great fun! I lost so much weight doing it 3 times a week combined with strength training and diet...I think I lost about 25lbs doing it a year or so ago.
    A very fun way to workout! It's hard to keep up and catch your breath at first, mixed with the new routines you've got to try and memorize but by the 2nd week you're flying through and having a great time!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    many gyms offer a free trial class.
  • singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    During the holidays I didn't have my zumba games on my wii, so I found a couple classes on youtube and got a good sweat. I'm sure you can find some classes online like that so you can try it before spending anything.

Here's a couple beginner classes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa2IWYs3ags

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afPfWEJSnvM

Here is an hour long class if you want a bigger challenge: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcRo0j4UO10

There are tons more on youtube I am sure.

Enjoy!
  • singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Also this:

4259.jpg

Love Zumba!
  • dankas001
    dankas001 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    lol single
  • firesoul19
    firesoul19 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba, but the dance/teaching styles vary greatly with the teacher. I've had 3 different ones: really fast, moderately fast with lots of hispanic flair (she was actually from Colombia), and moderately slow-ish with more African flair. The middle one was definitley my fave. It's fun if you like to dance, have good rythmn, and can pick up moves quickly. This is me.

I also have the Wii game, which is fun but not as fun as with other people and I find the belt slips pretty often. Lastly, I've tried the DVDs you see on TV (my sister's), and those are ok. Probably better for people that need lots of practice to get the moves down.

So pick your poison! Overall I love zumba, so hope you have a good experience with it. :)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    many gyms offer a free trial class.

Agreed. Or even independent Zumba instructors who hold classes at universities, gyms, community centers. Free trial or like $3 to $5 per class in my area.

Personally, can't get past the music. It embarrasses me. I am super picky about music so I just find it cheesy and cannot get past...
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    I tried it once and honestly the workout is what you put into it. When I did it the class was PACKED so it was hard to move around (I got a spot in the way back corner so I was able to move a bit more). There were people though who were dancing at a leisurely pace and those who were shaking it.

I was one of the ones shaking it and was sweating pretty good afterwards. It was okay. I didn't know many of the moves and basically looked like an idiot with my arms flailing and my hips swinging :laugh: . While I would have given it a second chance it was way too packed (and smelly)
  • esescovar
    esescovar Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have a toddler at home and live in a small town that doesn't offer classes, so while my son is napping in the afternoon, I do a 45 min zumba workout on my Wii. I recently got the Zumba Core and Zumba World Party and love them! I don't feel as self-conscious since no one can see me do it. Zumba burns about 10 calories per minute which is great! I love to dance so being able to do so in the privacy of my home everyday is a blast! It's my personal time. I've lost 9 lbs with healthy eating and only doing zumba as my cardio!
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I've got rhythm but let's just say, I dance to a different tune than other people, and hate to be told what to do and when. I've tried Zumba a few times on youtube and it's just not for me. I'd rather pump iron. Pass me my dumbbells. ;)

So try it before you pay money for it.
  • kristarablue2
    kristarablue2 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I am really mixed on Zumba, the workout is really going to depend on who is teaching. I have gone to a zumba class in which the instructor was amazing and kicked my bootie all over the place, I had a burn equal to that of kickboxing or boot camp. However that was ONE instructor that was consistently amazing and it was at a gym that really pushed their clientele. I have taken Zumba from four other places that was sub par at best, often it is dependent on who the clientele is, I have burned over 500 calories at Zumba and I have burned 150 depending on instructor. I have been really let down most of the time by Zumba. Maybe I am just not going to the right places or the right instructors, as I said one I went to was amazing but that was one our of five. But then I want to be dripping with sweat. I suggest you try it out before signing up for a long term class.
  • kweede14
    kweede14 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input/suggestions! :)