Heart Rate when exercising

Options
I've tried many ways to get into running. I've done the C25k program and I've just done different alternating intervals of walking and jogging. The fastest I ever jog is usually only about 5.0 mph. Typically after about 5 minutes at this pace my heart is pounding and I'm breathing hard. The heart rate monitor on the treadmill has said my heart rate is up to 200! I thought that was crazy and wrong but there are times I do get chest pain and have to slow down.

For Christmas I finally got a Polar Heart Rate Monitor. I used it once while doing zumba. It says I should be between 124-162 when exercising. The majority of the time I was in the 170s-180s. I had no chest pain during this though which was nice.

It did keep beeping at me because I was not "in the target zone" and was over. Is this bad for my body? Doesn't it just mean I'm getting more of a workout? Or is it counter productive?

Also, FYI, I'm a 30 yr old female so I think my max heart rate would be 190, right? Age - 220 is what I've read for max heart rate.

Replies

• nadiaisobel
    nadiaisobel Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When I first started exercising I experienced the same thing, and was also worried at first, but after looking into it I came to the conclusion that its ok. I believe the target zone they are referring to is what some people call the fat loss zone. When your heart rate really starts to sky rocket I think youre body is more working on cardio endurance.

Also dont forget that everyones body is different! Wear your HRM when not exercising and figure out what your resting heart rate is. If its on the high side that may also explain you heart rate getting so high. As you continue to run and work out, your resting heart rate will begin to drop as your cardiac endurance increases. Similarly youre recovery time - the amount of time it will take your heart rate to return to resting - will drop!
  • sara_tara13
    sara_tara13 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks. If I'm looking more for fat loss than cardio endurance, do you think it's better to slow down a bit?

Wearing my heart rate monitor to see what my resting heart rate is, is a great idea. I think mine may be on the high side.
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    It's probably not bad for your body. "Target" heart rate is sort of a dated concept. If I worked out at mine, I would never even break a sweat.
    You can change the THR on your monitor so it won't beep at you (isn't that annoying??)...I changed mine to 190 and now I never hear a peep out of it. Like you, I'm usually in the 160s-180s when working out hard.

As long as you FEEL okay, you're probably fine but, if it worries you, check with a doctor.
  • Humbugsftw
    Humbugsftw Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    resting heart rate normally is 60-70 (depending). Heart rate during exercise is 100-160 (again, depending). I measure it by taking my pulse directly after a set for 10 seconds, then multiplying it by 6 to get bpm.
  • LouSmorals
    LouSmorals Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    220-Age is a rather crude estimate, but puts you in the ball park. As far as your HRM you should be able to adjust the alarms so it doesn't go off unless you are entering Zone 5 (90% of max) (look up heart rate zones). Finding your own comfort zone takes some time and experience, just be patient and careful, you should never have chest pain.

As far as running, lots of people use the run-walk-run strategy (I do for runs of > 6 mi), check out http://www.jeffgalloway.com
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There is a wide range of "normal" for heart rate response to exercise. The information that comes with any HRM is very basic and limited in its accuracy. The fact is that with "220-age" or any HR max prediction equation, there is a significant standard of error. For a 30 yr old, actual HRmax can be between 210-220 in some people. In the absence of heart disease or some other underlying medical condition, the fact that your HR is higher than the "range" listed should not be a cause for concern.

When using an HRM, it is important at first to observe HR response under various exercise conditions and match the numbers with your feelings of exertion.

The symptoms you describe during your running attempts are more significant than the HR numbers. They indicate that you are working at an effort that is way too high for your current fitness level. Running is a higher-intensity activity so not everyone can do it right from the start. If you are struggling, I would recommend shorter running intervals and longer walking intervals to help build up endurance.

If you feel like you are at a comfortable level of exertion, then that effort is appropriate--even if the heart rate is "high" based on some arbitrary chart.

I can't say this enough - HRMs are "passive" devices--they capture impulses and display a number. The initial settings are based on the "lowest common denominator" averages, which are only valid for 50%-60% of the population (at best). For now, turn off all the alarms, do your exercise, see what your HR response is to various movements and intensities. Ultimately, if you want, you can then program your own settings, based on your body.
  • cherwood
    Options
    I use the polar watch and it is awesome. I am 49. My max HR is 171 so I aim to be at 85 percent of that for 60 minutes. When I started I did 80 percent (137) for 7 minutes/ 85 percent (146) for 3 minutes, 10 minute intervals to total 60 minutes. I kept it the same for a week and increased by 1 minute every week. You might want to try this approach.
  • crafty30
    crafty30 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I was the same as you as well!
    I started running and my HR would often get up to 185..It scared me so I went to the Docs. He said he thought it was fine but would send me for an ECG anyway, just to be sure..All came back fine so I don’t worry about it any more..When Im doing HIIT it often hits 180 but soon goes back down when I lower the intensity..
    I think as long as it drops back down quite quickly and your resting HR is quite good then you shouldn’t have to worry…BUT as always, if you are concerned, see your Doctor! Especially if you have pain or feel dizzy. Best to get it checked to be safe.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,164 Member
    Options
    Turn off the beep. The whole "fat burning zone" thing is a complete misnomer. Yes, in that zone a person burns more fat as a percentage of the total calories burned, but in the higher zone a person burns more calories total, still a percentage from fat, and often that total amount of fat burn in the higher zone is more than that burned in the "fat burning zone". Secondly, it is total calories burned that is important, because those calories, even if supplied by the glycogen (stored carbs in your muscles and liver), need to be replaced so the carbs you eat will go to replenish that storage rather than into fat.

The only place zone training is important is when training for a specific fitness goal. Then it can be helpful in attaining that.

In short, if you don't have chest pain, for weight loss don't worry about the zones.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    When I first started running (C25K or similar, like you), my heart rate would get up to 180 or so and it kind of freaked me out knowing that was pretty much my max so that would be my cue to slow down and walk again. With time and practice, my heart and body got more fit and I saw less and less of that number. As others said, that standard calc is really not valid. There are a myriad of factors that aren't taken into account.

If the beeping from your HRM is annoying, turn off the sound (that's what I did) or reset the target zone as previously suggested.

If you continue to get chest pains, please talk to your doctor and stop pushing yourself so hard until you get an all clear.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    a 5k is a sprint distance. You should be out of breath, heart rate 170+.

you are healthy, so no worries.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    When I first started exercising I experienced the same thing, and was also worried at first, but after looking into it I came to the conclusion that its ok. I believe the target zone they are referring to is what some people call the fat loss zone. When your heart rate really starts to sky rocket I think youre body is more working on cardio endurance.

Also dont forget that everyones body is different! Wear your HRM when not exercising and figure out what your resting heart rate is. If its on the high side that may also explain you heart rate getting so high. As you continue to run and work out, your resting heart rate will begin to drop as your cardiac endurance increases. Similarly youre recovery time - the amount of time it will take your heart rate to return to resting - will drop!

WRONG! a HRM is designed to measure heart rate during steady state cardio exercises only. It will not accurately estimate resting heart rate or heart rate during exercise such as weight lifting. If OP uses this idea to try to find her RHR it will not be accurate, probably not by a long shot.
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options

WRONG! a HRM is designed to measure heart rate during steady state cardio exercises only. It will not accurately estimate resting heart rate or heart rate during exercise such as weight lifting. If OP uses this idea to try to find her RHR it will not be accurate, probably not by a long shot.

That's not true - it won't accurately measure calorie burn at rest or during weight lifting, but its a Heart Rate Monitor - monitoring your heart rate is what its for, and it can do this at any time.
  • Lys2
    Lys2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    A HRM can't tell if you're resting or exercising. One person's resting heart rate (RHR) can be another's steady state cardio rate; the HRM just measeures your heart rate. Polar HRMs come in a variety of capabilities; mine has a fit test capability which measures my heart rate at rest for 5 minutes and calculates a VO2max equivalent. (It also uses 220 - age to calculate max, but my actual max is about 20bpm faster, so I don't use that.)

To improve cardio performance (and decrease maxHR/RHR) you need to work out in your aerobic zone, below your anaerobic threshold. This will probably be at a lower HR than you're expecting and feel slow, but it works. (Playing basketbal, usu anaerobic; comfortable steady jog/brisk walk, usu aerobic).

I'm 41, my max is ~200bpm last I checked. When I was doing HR training, my target max was 160bpm; running gets my HR up quickly, so once I hit 160, I'd walk till it was down in the 140s and just alternate running and walking.

Interesting note: I read an interview with one of the guys who discovered the (very rough) 220 - age connection. He said they had 3 fit men treadmill running in a lab, testing max HR: a 20 year-old, a 30 year-old, and a 40 year-old. The 20yo's maxHR was right around 200; the 30yo's maxHR was right around 190, and the 40yo's maxHR was right around 180. The original sample set of 3 fit, healthy men.
  • Azdak
    Options
    A HRM can't tell if you're resting or exercising. One person's resting heart rate (RHR) can be another's steady state cardio rate; the HRM just measeures your heart rate. Polar HRMs come in a variety of capabilities; mine has a fit test capability which measures my heart rate at rest for 5 minutes and calculates a VO2max equivalent. (It also uses 220 - age to calculate max, but my actual max is about 20bpm faster, so I don't use that.)

To improve cardio performance (and decrease maxHR/RHR) you need to work out in your aerobic zone, below your anaerobic threshold. This will probably be at a lower HR than you're expecting and feel slow, but it works. (Playing basketbal, usu anaerobic; comfortable steady jog/brisk walk, usu aerobic).

I'm 41, my max is ~200bpm last I checked. When I was doing HR training, my target max was 160bpm; running gets my HR up quickly, so once I hit 160, I'd walk till it was down in the 140s and just alternate running and walking.

Interesting note: I read an interview with one of the guys who discovered the (very rough) 220 - age connection. He said they had 3 fit men treadmill running in a lab, testing max HR: a 20 year-old, a 30 year-old, and a 40 year-old. The 20yo's maxHR was right around 200; the 30yo's maxHR was right around 190, and the 40yo's maxHR was right around 180. The original sample set of 3 fit, healthy men.

The validation studies on various methods of determining age-predicted max HR have involved fairly large numbers of people. No scientific journal would ever publish a study that used only 3 subjects. Furthermore, numerous review studies in the past 10-15 years have done meta-analyses on past research, which has increased the effective subject pool into the thousands.

While the "220-age" equation is not the most accurate for estimating HRmax, the main problems are not with the equation itself. Using any of the supposed "improved" equations only changes the HR max estimate by a handful of beats/min.

There are 2 fundamental problems with using ANY equation to estimate HRmax:

1. Variability. The SEE of HRmax prediction equations is 10-12 beats/min. That is due to the inherent variability in the population. That means that, for a 40 year old, "normal" HRmax can range from 150 bpm to 210 bpm. This relatively high variability exists in all HRmax prediction equations.

2. Lack of longitudinal data. All large-subject research on this subject has been done using cross-sectional studies. I don't think I have seen any research that has examined a cohort of subjects with a longitudinal study--i.e. looking at changes in the group over time. We have anecdotal testimony that suggests that, if one maintains a vigorous training program, the assumed decline in HRmax that occurs with age can be attenuated.

The accuracy shortcomings in predicting HRmax are due to the inherent variability of human beings, not by substandard research methods.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

No.... my resting HR is in the high 40s to low 50s and my HR is usually 175-190 when I'm working out. My VO2 Max is around 40.
  • mccindy72
    Options

That's not true - it won't accurately measure calorie burn at rest or during weight lifting, but its a Heart Rate Monitor - monitoring your heart rate is what its for, and it can do this at any time.

True.. but why not just put your finger on your own pulse, look at the clock for one minute and count your heart beats? Perfectly accurate, easy and free. That's how they do it at the doc's office, right?
  • Azdak
    Options
    Thanks. If I'm looking more for fat loss than cardio endurance, do you think it's better to slow down a bit?

Wearing my heart rate monitor to see what my resting heart rate is, is a great idea. I think mine may be on the high side.

Fat loss is a function of maintaining a calorie deficit. Exercise intensity will not directly affect fat loss. Unfortunately, "fat burning exercise" is one of those zombie fables that won't die, no matter how much it is disproven.

In the long run, it is best to exercise to improve your overall fitness, not to try to structure a routine solely for "fat loss". (If you do it the right way, you'll get both). That means following a balanced program that includes endurance workouts, higher-intensity interval workouts, and what is called "tempo" training--meaning workouts that consist of either longer, higher-intensity intervals with short rest periods, or sustained higher-intensity workouts. The three types of workouts will complement each other. With improved fitness, you can work harder and ultimately burn more calories--which then helps with weight loss.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Werd...

Also, OP...what is your resting HR and how quickly does your HR come down after intense exercise? A high RHR may be indicative of an issue or it might be that you're just out of shape. The faster your HR comes down, the more fit you are generally speaking.

My HR really depends on my exercise. My RHR is 65....my HR while walking at a moderate pace is around 110...when I'm doing a steady ride at about 15 MPH on my bike, I'm usually around 130...a 5.5 - 6 MPH running pace usually puts me around 145 - 150...HIIT and sprints can get me up around 170 (brief stints)...Olympic lifts like the power clean and press get me up around 160 briefly. I drop from 150 to 110 in about 2 minutes of rest and I'm back in the 70s/80s within 5 minutes or so.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    resting heart rate normally is 60-70 (depending). Heart rate during exercise is 100-160 (again, depending). I measure it by taking my pulse directly after a set for 10 seconds, then multiplying it by 6 to get bpm.

Depending on what? Resting heart rate can be anywhere from 40-100, based on the fitness of the person and their overall health. Heart rate during exercise is very dependent on effort, and again on the fitness and overall health of the person. And don't take your pulse for 10 seconds and then multiply it, that's not nearly as accurate as just counting for the whole 60 seconds. Hearts don't beat in precision.