Help with getting started while working the night shift

Options
I am a Cardiology/ICU nurse. I have worked nights for 4 years now. Night shift work is certainly what makes my life difficult. It puts a damper on my exercise plan as well as my eating.

Generally I work 3 or 4 nights a week, 13-14 hours at a time from 6:30pm to 7:30am (or 8 or 9 depending on patient load, acuity, etc..) We don't get regular breaks at all. (We are usually short handed and it is very hard to just pass off two or three high acuity patients for a half hour when everyone else's patient's are high acuity as well. It would be dangerous. So we often suck it up and don't take breaks. Please don't judge unless you have experience in this area...yes it sucks, but reality isn't ideology.) Generally we grab food and shove it down in between major events and charting. If I am lucky, I can take a full 15 minute break, and once in a blue moon I get a break twice a shift. So I have to stick with foods that are easy, quick, and I am trying to find foods that aren't boring. If I eat one more carrot stick I will throw in the fork and head for the doritos.

I also have a very busy life outside of work, so I am trying to make managing my health more of a focus instead of a side item.(my weight being a large part of that, but not all of it).

I have no idea how to fit in proper eating and find some semblance of regular exercise in the middle of work and family. Does anyone have any success stories as to how they have managed night shift and family and fit in a major lifestyle change?

Replies

• fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I don't have this type of experience, but here are some suggestions:

protein bars - Cliff bars are good as well as Think Thin bars
    Apple slice and Peanut butter (you can slice the apples before hand and add lemon to keep from browning, just bring a little PB for dipping)
    Mini wraps - that you can pop in your mouth, you can do veggies, turkey, etc. I find flavored humus to be better than mayo or mustard, its a bit more filling.
    Yogurts (if you have storage, at least on days when you get a break that would work easy)

Hope it helps.
  • tabbyxxcat
    tabbyxxcat Posts: 102 Member
    Options

Apple slice and Peanut butter (you can slice the apples before hand and add lemon to keep from browning, just bring a little PB for dipping)
    Mini wraps - that you can pop in your mouth, you can do veggies, turkey, etc. I find flavored humus to be better than mayo or mustard, its a bit more filling.
    Yogurts (if you have storage, at least on days when you get a break that would work easy)

Hope it helps.

Love this! I have not worked night shift, but I had a very busy life losing my first 40lbs before coming back to MFP and things like clif bars, teeny-tiny tupperwares full of fruits/veggies of some kind, and sandwich bags with one piece of wheat bread folded over with peanut butter in it WERE MY LIFE!!!!!! Emphasis on finding creative ways to get protein into your system, that will help you feel fuller until your next break. And constantly filling and drinking from a water bottle will keep your stomach occupied until it is sending you TRUE hunger pains, so that you don't get cranky on your shifts.
    Best of luck :) everyone has their challenges, I know you can beat yours!!!!!!!! :DDDDDD
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest packing portions of snacks. A peanut butter and jelly sandwhich can fit on with goals and be eaten on the go. A thermos with soup? Warm foods
    Can be packed in thermoses for a change of pace( it is freezing cold here so I have comfort food on my mind)

For what it's worth I admire you for the work you do. Have been contemplating going into nursing but wondering if I am to old to start out. Good luck!!!

)
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options

Hope it helps.

These look really good also wanted to add:

Nuts in a baggie are calorie dense and have protein
    Pretzels and hummus
    and for a change of pace. My sisters love just cutting an apple in half and spreading peanut butter on the cut face and eating it like that. One handed way of doing it while charting maybe. You could even cut spread the peanut butter, put the halves back together and then into the baggie for an almost mess free transportation!
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I work nights, 12 hours shifts 3 to 4 nights a week. Here's what I do.

Work day 1: this is the toughest day, I am basically up for about 22 hours straight, so I don't eat something until I have been awake about 7 hours. I eat my breast fast around 5 pm, a snack at 8:30, lunch at midnight, two more snacks, and then dinner at 4 am.

Work days 2,3, and 4: I eat at the same times as the first day, but since I have been sleeping all day it's not so bad lol.

First day off: I get home in the morning and sleep till about one o'clock. This is my switch around day. No breakfast, I eat lunch when I get up and have dinner that night, then to bed like all the regular people. The rest of my days off I eat at normal times.

Hope this helps. :)
  • jmath911
    jmath911 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hey there from an ICU/ER nurse. I know all about the no breaks and eating as you can stuff. I pack lots of snacks in portion size ziplock bags. I eat grilled chicken wraps. I eat fiber one bars. On the plus side I have no difficulty drinking all the water I'm supposed to drink. I drink about 5 liters overnight. I save one of my snacks for the drive home to keep me awake.
    I do use midnight as my cut off for calorie counting, but fudge on that rule a little depending what I might be doing at midnight or whatever. I don't get to leave my unit to eat or ever get an uninterrupted lunch either and it is a given if we are busy we might not get to eat or have a break at all.
    Keeping the count straight when you are flipping days to nights is more difficult for me than the right eating. Once a week I let myself have a not counted regular coke, I say I'm using it for medicinal purposes(Helps me stay awake).
  • bakeralison1
    bakeralison1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I find working out on nights when I first wake up the easiest, gets it out of the way.
    I set up my day to record my food in 4hr intervals starting at 6am since thats just about the end of the day when I'm on nights and I rarely eat before that when on dayshift. Look at my diary if that sounds confusing.
  • CookeeV13
    Options
    I too find working out when I first wake helps me through my long night. I also eat a decent size, protein packed meal before heading to work. I like banana chips, kind bars, cliff granola bars, individual almond milks, string cheese. I'm always looking for new snacks or things that are tasty and healthy to eat while on the go.
  • abbyoncloud9
    abbyoncloud9 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hey! Night shift nurse here. What I've been doing the last few months that has worked well for me:

I buy a lot of frozen dinners (usually about 300 calories a piece) so I at least have that to start with. I eat a fairly regular dinner before I go into work and count that as Breakfast. While I'm eating/logging that meal, I go ahead and pack everything for the night. I go ahead and pack enough snacks to fill my calories for the entire shift. Sometimes I don't eat everything, and sometimes I eat a snack on the way home. Either way, I have all my allotted calories packed for one night so I'm not heading to the vending machines at 2am.

I eat my dinner when I get the chance to sit down and then my little snacks throughout the night (ie while charting). My favorites so far:
    -smart pop popcorn
    - fiber one bars
    - any of those 100 calorie snack things
    - frosted mini wheats
    - a cup of hot cocoa if I'm craving chocolate
    -tons of fruits and veggies. I buy in bulk on my days off and have them ready to go for the work week.

Hope this helps, and feel free to add me... I'd be glad to support!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I work nights in IT 11pm-7am 5 days a week. Hours are pretty stable with the occasional computer hiccup that translates to 10 hr day. I do a IF style of eating. Usually eat my allowed calories while at work. I get off work in the morning, hit the gym 3-4x a week for 1-2 hrs and workout. After I shower, do errands, get to bed by about 2-3pm and wake up at 10:30pm to do it all over again. The biggest factor for me is sleep. When I have adequate sleep I feel rested and don't need to graze on food/snacks all night long at work to help me stay awake. When I lacked sleep I'd struggle. I'd be too tired to even exercise and go over my calorie intake from all the constant snacking.
  • MelissaDoc
    MelissaDoc Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Though I am not a nurse, I do work in a hospital doing overnights, most of the time they are 10hr shifts.

I usually try to fit my gym time in the morning AFTER my shift. I know that I am tired and am probably not going to get the most out of the work out, but that is what works for me. I don't like going before my shift as then I will already be tired going in and that makes for a long night. It also surprised me how much I am physically capable of doing even after no sleep. Some of my best runs have been after an overnight.

As for eating, I log everything in a 24hr period with the day broken up in 4hr blocks (I believe someone else also mentioned this). I try to keep my locker stocked with dry goods for emergencies, which usually means I look like a squirrel lol. oatmeal, a variety of granola/protein bars, tea bags etc are the usual.

My biggest advice is to plan what you eat, in the morning or the day before, that way you know what you need to pack.

Feel free to friend me, I love chatting with and supporting the people on my feed. :)
  • aspeenat
    Options
    what about protein drinks?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    how bad do you want it.....
    just do it...
    i start at 4am.
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I work nights, 12 hours shifts 3 to 4 nights a week. Here's what I do.

Work day 1: this is the toughest day, I am basically up for about 22 hours straight, so I don't eat something until I have been awake about 7 hours. I eat my breast fast around 5 pm, a snack at 8:30, lunch at midnight, two more snacks, and then dinner at 4 am.

Work days 2,3, and 4: I eat at the same times as the first day, but since I have been sleeping all day it's not so bad lol.

First day off: I get home in the morning and sleep till about one o'clock. This is my switch around day. No breakfast, I eat lunch when I get up and have dinner that night, then to bed like all the regular people. The rest of my days off I eat at normal times.

Hope this helps. :)

I work permanent nights (10hr nights) usually 4 on 3 off but that can vary.
    My routine is very similar to above.
    My first night on I don't sleep before either.
    I start and finish my eating day at midnight as it fits around my hours the best.
    I eat most of my food at home before starting work.
    I tend not to eat much at work but would suggest snacks that you enjoy or shakes.
    Like above I often go to bed without breakfast and eat when I get up.
    My days off I also sleep till 1pm approx. get up eat lunch etc.
    I have to be aware on my first day off of mistaking hunger for tiredness.
    :laugh: you'll find the right rhythm.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I work in health care as well and I also work nights.

I worked nights at my previous job. Started the job at 155. Didn't really gain any weight until the following year, when I moved and pretty much stopped walking. (I used to walk to work. Walk to stores frequently. Etc.) All of a sudden I was 170. Whoops. The worst part? My co-worker and I would always run to places like 7-11 or BK since that's all that was open and get junk. I'm 5'9" and I was just hitting the overweight mark at that point. Because of my erratic sleep schedule, I was eating all kinds of crap at any hour of the day.

Then I got laid-off. I looked in the mirror and saw that my love handles had doubled in size---I already knew that but I was just trying to ignore it or hoped the weight would just come back off. I decided I needed to make a change that I started when I wasn't working and continued so far into today, back on night shift. Since then, I've actually lost more than thirty pounds and I'm in the 130s.

Keys for me:
    -You need to bring something light to snack on or eat. Everyone had pretty good suggestions. I don't love yogurt but I try to bring yogurt fairly regularly, especially since I seem to be starving when I get home and feel like stuffing my face. Since you're working longer shifts than me, you might need an actual meal and a snack or two. I definitely second something like wraps/sandwiches. Pre-planned lunches/snacks are really important because otherwise you just grab what's around.

-Sometimes, when I get home, I try to get outside so I can see some sunlight. Makes me feel so much better just getting a little bit of daylight. Try to squeeze in maybe a half an hour of exercise when you get home a few times a week. If I don't do it when I get home, I try to do it before I leave for work.

-Sleep schedule is so important. Mine is always annoying but I try to stay up many of the nights I'm home just to keep it semi-normal. Black out curtains? A must. Otherwise? Me being awake=me being bored/restless=me eating.
  • Vex3521
    Vex3521 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Cooking ahead and pre-portioning saves my life on night shift. I work a non-typical "overnight" 2am - 10am Sun to Thurs so even my weekend is wonky. Generally I get around 4 straight hours of sleep at night before shift and if I can squeeze in a nap I do so during the day. If not.... it's just suck it up until you can sleep.

Great suggestions on snacks, I'm going to steal some =) just not the nuts because I have a serious love/hate relationship with my epi pen:laugh:

I keep an emergency ready to go protein shake with me so all I have to do is add water if I really need something and just can't afford to go heat my lunch and eat on break. I don't like using them for meal replacement but in a pinch it's a lifesaver. Prefer to hang onto those for pre-workout but there are just those days when it's too busy at work and it's that or being hungry.
  • akj_25
    akj_25 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    i work 12 hour nights also -- my biggest hurtle is avoiding all the food everyone else brings.
    popcorn has been a life saver because you can munch on a ton of it for low calories and i buy the powdered flavorings for a variety - one night might have kettle corn flavor, next is jalopeno cheddar.
    i also mix oatmeal into some yogurt before i leave home, then when i have a chance to eat the oatmeal is softened up, so get the yogurt flavor with the satifaction of oatmeal. good grab and go food.
    i am trying harder at getting the protien in - i like the 'life choice' protien bars - they don't taste so much like a protien bar -- i keep these on hand for nights i want a candy bar
    -- my second goal this year (after weight loss) is more sleep, because the less i sleep the worse i eat, when i am over tired i have even caught myself getting up -basically sleepwalking- and eating crap and going back to bed, barely realizing it untill it is devoured
    --- i mostly do my workouts on my days off - my work days are more devoted to sleep. but i try to add small exercises into my shift, like squats while waiting for pt to get out of bathroom, jumping jacks after discharging a pt (this is easier for me since i work in ER and have more rapid turnover and have a minute or two of down time between pts.)
  • lmckillo
    lmckillo Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have been working night shifts for 36 years now...thats a long long time lol. I work 12 hour shifts and what I normally do is. I will work out before coming to work to get the blood flowing . I will have a normal supper at supper time.
    While on shift, I will eat fruit early on in the shift and switch over to dry cereal later. I only eat a bit at a time and I will save a banana and a bit of cereal to have about one hour before I go home. I never eat breakfast when I get home, try to get to bed as soon as possible. I only eat what I brought in, I do not eat what others bring in for snacks...just say no!!
    I black out the room and I unplug the phone from my room. The older we get the harder shift work becomes.....no you do not get used to it. As we age we become more sensitive to light and noise which makes it harder to sleep.
    Having a understanding family is also key to working the night shift. Just because the sun is up doesnt mean I should be up and doing things...sorry while you were sleeping I was working all night. They have to understand that you need your sleep. They do not get up at Midnight to start their day, why should you get up at Noon to start yours???
    The less sleep we get the more apt we are to eat junk food. Our brain tricks us into eating sugary foods by sending out messages that it needs energy so we grab sweets because we are looking for that pick me up. Avoid sweets and cafine is possible after midnight.
    Over the years have tried different things to work the night shift and I have found this works for me. Telling yourself its okay to sleep during the day, " No I do not have to be up". Proper diet and exersice is essential....this of course is only my opinion.
  • CCNurseMarti
    CCNurseMarti Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest packing portions of snacks. A peanut butter and jelly sandwhich can fit on with goals and be eaten on the go. A thermos with soup? Warm foods
    Can be packed in thermoses for a change of pace( it is freezing cold here so I have comfort food on my mind)

For what it's worth I admire you for the work you do. Have been contemplating going into nursing but wondering if I am to old to start out. Good luck!!!

)

You are NEVER to old to start nursing! It is a phenomenal field! It is very tough. You have to really want to do the job. It is rewarding and fulfilling and inexplicable! But right now with all the Meaningful Use and Affordable Care regulations, it is not a very stable field to get into. You can't count on good pay immediately after graduating because you will have a period of orientation and education and right now many hospitals are not hiring. If you have a large amount of student loans, it may be hard to pay them back at first. So check out your local area before you commit. BUT! If you can afford school without a lot of debt, then go for it! You won't be sorry. It is certainly a career choice and a calling. I LOOOOOVE my job!!!
  • CCNurseMarti
    CCNurseMarti Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I wanted to say thanks for all the good advice! It is nice to hear from other night shifters, and especially the ones who understand what it is like not to be able to sit down to a meal.

My favorite advice so far:

~Teeny Tiny Tupperware. - honestly, I have a ton but never thought about how to use them. But now that I am being accountable for every bite, I will use them!

~ Trying not to eat when I get home. - Sometimes I have eaten so little during my shift that I come home starved, So I eat breakfast, then I am exhausted so I go to bed. What a waste of calories!

~ Mini Wraps - I never think to whip these up. I should make some up and calorie count them so that I can bring them. I could even cut them into pinwheels for bite size snacks.

~Protein Drinks - I never even considered that. That would be super quick and easy...

~Just Do it. It depends on how bad you want it. I start at 4am. -Ok, not my favorite advice, but I will answer that...

I AM. That's why I'm HERE. Committing myself and getting advice. Putting Apps on my phone and adding steps to my day.

And I work from 6:30pm to 7:30 (or 10) am, 4 or 5 days a week. So 4 am might be when you start, but I've already been at it for 10 hours by then. 4am is when I'm busy with acutely ill people in the ICU. Doing everything from placing central lines and dialysis catheters to cleaning up GI bleeds. Waking up doctors to get and order for fast fluids and a presser so I can have some sort of blood pressure on a severely septic patient with a fever of 104 and a CVP of -1. So don't mistake me for some newbie couch potato that will be gone in a week or two.

I will lose these 76 pounds. So thank you all for the HELPFUL advice!

~Marti
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!