Hungry every 2-3 hours

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    There is a running joke in my office that I have a tape worm because I eat all the time. But yet I am the only one who is losing weight... imagine that. Quantity can be low if calories are very high.
  • rhoule76
    rhoule76 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. Who cares what everyone else does? Do your thing...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    maybe your co-workers gorge themselves when they get home....

personally, eating a little bowl of soup, and only a little bowl of soup doesn't sound healthy unless they're getting their calories in at other times...but I doubt they are, they're probably just doing a super awesome crash diet or something.

I eat all frackin' day from the time I get up to the time I hit the pillow and could give a rats *kitten* what anyone in my office thinks...
  • kill3rtofu
    kill3rtofu Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I work in an office and i seem to be the only person that eats every 3 hours or so. Everyone else eats VERY little and i mean very little. Maybe a bowl of soup through the entire shift. But i feel guilty having loads of plates and things on my desk because i'm literally starving every couple of hours.

A typical day for me at work would be like:
    8.30am - a bowl of porridge with half a home made veggie/fruit smoothie
    10.30am - a piece of fruit
    12.30pm - half a brown sub roll with ham and salad and the other half of my veggie/fruit smoothie
    3pm - Start snacking on some grapes

In between all of this i sip on plenty of water all day.

4pm and i am STARVING but too embarrassed to go to the fridge again!
    Is this normal or does everyone else sit and starve worse than me?

i do the same thing. if i don't snack i become hungry again within hours--even if i eat all my calories at once (ie 600 for breakfast with no snacking). what i did to appease the stomach is to spread out foods every hour or so. this is only at work where i have this problem.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Guess what? your coworkers go home and GORGE. Do you want to be like that?

I used to work with very fat women who did not eat much during the day. They were huge, like enormous...at least 400 pounds.

What you eat in private, you wear in public.

I also eat every 2-3 hours. really, just eat how you like and don't worry about what other people do.

^This. I used to work with a heavy girl who only ate carrots and yogurt at work and claimed she ate much healthie than the rest of us. She never lost any weight (the last time I saw her, she had actually gained), so obviously there was some unhealthy eating going on after working hours that she was in denial about.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Sounds normal, i eat all day...
  • ceebeez1975
    ceebeez1975 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I think this is perfectly normal, it keeps your metobolism fired up and you are eating well. Those at your office, dont worry about what they do and do not eat. Some of them just living off soup may go home and binge for Africa- who knows?
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I find that if I eat small meals, I am constantly hungry, but if I stop and eat a big meal, I am full for awhile. I gave up on the quick bite here and there because I was always thinking about my next snack. There is no rule that says you have to eat small meals throughout the day. I know people say to do this so you don't get hangry and over eat, but if you are always hangry, it doesn't help.

Also, and this is a big thing for me, make sure you aren't confusing appetite with hunger. Hunger has physical signs. Appetite is the desire to eat. Sometimes, when your stomach growls, it isn't hunger, it's the desire to eat.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    you sound normal
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I eat ALL day. This isn't weird or abnormal. As long as you're eating healthy, and it looks like you are, then don't worry about how often you're eating.
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Some people are fine with three meals a day some are not. I know Im not! I eat every two to three hours. I need snacks or I'll over eat when meal time does come around. It doesn't matter how many times a day or even what time a day you eat. Dont worry about it so much, just have confidence your doing the right thing for you. Your confidence will show! Your co-workers wont question it, if you dont.
  • eAddict
    eAddict Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I use the fridge on the 1st floor - I am on the 4th. That way I have to take stairs to and from my snack. No one sees and I get exercise in.
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. The more I eat the more I need to eat. I work with this guy who gets annoyed at any slight food smells -_-
    But to be honest I can go all the way to lunch time without eating a thing and it actually works out better for me as when I tried to eat little and often. I ate little but it was very often and not too healthy either. Now that I'm on a 1200 cal diet I prefer to save my calories for later in the day just in case I get the odd craving.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I work in an office and i seem to be the only person that eats every 3 hours or so. Everyone else eats VERY little and i mean very little. Maybe a bowl of soup through the entire shift. But i feel guilty having loads of plates and things on my desk because i'm literally starving every couple of hours.

A typical day for me at work would be like:
    8.30am - a bowl of porridge with half a home made veggie/fruit smoothie
    10.30am - a piece of fruit
    12.30pm - half a brown sub roll with ham and salad and the other half of my veggie/fruit smoothie
    3pm - Start snacking on some grapes

In between all of this i sip on plenty of water all day.

4pm and i am STARVING but too embarrassed to go to the fridge again!
    Is this normal or does everyone else sit and starve worse than me?

Yes it is normal...sound lik you have 6 smalls meals/day.... so whats the REAL issue? EAT!
  • metter2011
    metter2011 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry, eat. Don't worry about what anyone else might think. Bring a lunch box and keep snacks at your desk. Boiled eggs, cheese sticks, tuna pack, nuts, etc.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I sometimes keep bananas on my desk, they go manky in the fridge anyway :P the nuts are a good idea but I have no self restraint so they'd be polished off by 11am as as they're so easy to mindlessly pick at.

It doesn't look like you eat too much to me either the food you just described could've come straight out of a healthy lifestyle magazine, so anyone who'd look down on what you're eating has issues ;)

I think I also eat more frequently than other people near my desk, but I think that's because most, probably have a more calorific lunch, the 2 slim girls that sit near me and possibly watch what they eat I've never felt judged by even though they don't really snack, but if they were to pass comment I'd probably just laugh it off (but that's because they're nice so can't see them meaning it snidely) If someone was being a d*ck though I probably would come up with a cutting/witty comeback (most likely 5 minutes after I'd left the office for the day driving home)

Anyway I think I'd be prising the keys off my keyboard and giving them a chew if all I had was soup or salad and nothing else during an 8hr shift.

So yeah bananas
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. At home, my boyfriend gets annoyed that I always stop what we're doing to get food... But if eating often works for you, there's no issue with it. Many people binge at dinnertime and in the evening, which may explain some of your coworkers' lack of food. However, unless your boss has an issue with how often you eat, it doesn't matter what others think. If they say something, tell them that you feel healthier this way. Also, if you don't want to get up to go to the fridge so often, keep small portions of nuts, granola, dried fruit, etc. at your desk.
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    What you are doing is a great way to keep your blood sugar levels stable throughout the day. My mother was diabetic and her nutritionist recommended eating every three hours or so. By doing this, she was able to completely come off of her diabetic medications and regained normal blood sugar levels. Don't worry about what your coworkers think!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing except it's not how many times I eat it's how much I eat in one sitting...

For example my breakfast this morning was 1000calories...2 eggs, steak, toast with butter and a cup of milk with coffee that has xylitol and cream.

People hear that and they are like you lie....nope I eat all the foods...esp after a lifting day.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Don't bother with everyone else. If they're not skin and bones, then they're either eating a hearty breakfast, or a hearty dinner. Maybe both.

Personally, I don't eat breakfast so I can have a nice-sized lunch and dinner. I can easily go 'til 1pm without feeling hungry (though I'll eat if I go to a breakfast place with someone else). If I nibble all day long, then I'm never satiated.

Others like to eat steadily through the day and say it curbs their craving/hunger pangs. Do whatever works for you.