My boyfriend's parents don't want him dating?

Options

Replies

• kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just you they don't want him to date.
    She has never met me. Js.
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    A history of posting outrageous stories about her dating life that seem very far-fetched and are always about a different guy.
    Far-fetched or not, they're true ****. So what if I need help about guys? So what if they're different people? I'm in college. I'm so damn sorry I ask for help, mkay? I'll be sure not to come here to try and get help because the majority of you are condescending, rude, and unhelpful.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    A history of posting outrageous stories about her dating life that seem very far-fetched and are always about a different guy.
    Far-fetched or not, they're true ****. So what if I need help about guys? So what if they're different people? I'm in college. I'm so damn sorry I ask for help, mkay? I'll be sure not to come here to try and get help because the majority of you are condescending, rude, and unhelpful.
    I'm doubting the authenticity.

But if you enjoy the drama you always get around your posts, carry on. I'm pretty certain that's your goal.
  • Cirsium
    Cirsium Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yeah... get out of that one. It will probably end with him having to make a choice between you and his mother and you know he will most likely choose his mother right?

haha, I had a boyfriend who still lived at home with his mother. Thankfully she was actually really nice and we got along reasonably well, but her constant mothering turned him onto this whiny manchild. Once he commented that he had a stomach ache so she lay him on the couch and rubbed his tummy for him. Ahh yes, that was an awkward half an hour...

Ha ha I bet it was super awkward! When I first got with my other half, I was shocked to see he turned into a manchild whenever in the company of his (very nice) mother. I got him told, in no uncertain terms, that I was after a man, not a mummy's boy. It stopped, and 10 years later it hasn't happened again. I remain vigilant ;)
  • kassiebby1124
    Options

But if you enjoy the drama you always get around your posts, carry on. I'm pretty certain that's your goal.
    Then don't read them or reply to them. I don't want drama. I want help. That's why I asked the ****ing question. And you've provided little, if any at all.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    He should listen to his parents, they do know best afterall, don't they?
  • bno76
    bno76 Posts: 18
    Options
    Surely there has to be an actual forum dedicated to teenage relationship drama besides MFP? I wouldn't have said anything if this were your first post on the subject, but it isn't....

I've just been reading some really heartwarming posts for a lady who was upset by strangers when out for a walk, and thinking what wonderful people there are on this forum. Then I read this :-(
    This OP has a history and I doubt her story is even a smidgen of truth.

A history of asking for advice that is seen as 'off topic' or something else? It just seems like there's always an attacker lurking in these forums.

Her questions aren't hurting anyone are they?

If I see a thread that doesn't interest me, I leave. If I feel I can help, I will chime in. Simple as that :)
  • rml_16
    Options

Then don't read them or reply to them. I don't want drama. I want help. That's why I asked the ****ing question. And you've provided little, if any at all.
    But I'm entertained, which is MY goal, so win-win.

But just to humor you: Overbearing mothers only get worse and if he's allowing it, get out. Been there, done that.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    just break up and move on. not worth the hassle. sow your wild oats.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Okay here's my serious answer. You are young. Chances are you're not in love with this person. You will spend much more time and energy than a 19 year old should trying to get his mother's approval. You're in college; there are plenty of dudes out there without crazy mothers.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Surely there has to be an actual forum dedicated to teenage relationship drama besides MFP? I wouldn't have said anything if this were your first post on the subject, but it isn't....

I've just been reading some really heartwarming posts for a lady who was upset by strangers when out for a walk, and thinking what wonderful people there are on this forum. Then I read this :-(

Not long ago the OP (the girl who posted this) wanted to know if she should dump her current "boyfriend" (of again, 3 weeks or so) because he was going into the Marines (in several months) for her current "best friend" (who was male). This post is now involving a 3 male, also her "boyfriend". Now I did dumb stuff in college too, I'm not judging it. But really this is NOT the place for her to get advice about teenage dating drama.

That's pretty patronising - why is it not? I've seen others asking life questions. I get the impression she's getting slagged of for being young, and that's really not OK.

Do you see her getting much good advice? Like I said, maybe there's a better place to ask for it, a forum for teenage dating advice... But I don't know. I didn't really have the internet when I was 18. I handled the drama the old fashioned way, cry to my friends, drink and sleep around.
  • mcsweetly
    mcsweetly Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Run while you can! Don't get sucked in now. Its only been 3 weeks and you are young. Chances are you may not end up together anyway. Get out while you can. Live a little. Enjoy college without having to sneak around. You are an adult and will do what you want, but his mother doesn't see him as an adult yet.

Good Luck!
  • bno76
    bno76 Posts: 18
    Options
    Yeah... get out of that one. It will probably end with him having to make a choice between you and his mother and you know he will most likely choose his mother right?

haha, I had a boyfriend who still lived at home with his mother. Thankfully she was actually really nice and we got along reasonably well, but her constant mothering turned him onto this whiny manchild. Once he commented that he had a stomach ache so she lay him on the couch and rubbed his tummy for him. Ahh yes, that was an awkward half an hour...

Ha ha I bet it was super awkward! When I first got with my other half, I was shocked to see he turned into a manchild whenever in the company of his (very nice) mother. I got him told, in no uncertain terms, that I was after a man, not a mummy's boy. It stopped, and 10 years later it hasn't happened again. I remain vigilant ;)

Nipped that one in the bud nicely! Success :D
  • Cirsium
    Cirsium Posts: 41 Member
    Options

This OP has a history and I doubt her story is even a smidgen of truth.

A history of asking for advice that is seen as 'off topic' or something else? It just seems like there's always an attacker lurking in these forums.

do you remember what it is like to be young? i do, my life was full of teenage dramas when i was a teenager. that's what happens. i'm 40, but i remember. don't pick on her because she is young and living what sounds to me like a normal teenage life.

and yes, changing boyfriends (and mind) frequently comes with the teenage territory for many - certainly no excuse to judge a person.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    He should listen to his parents, they do know best afterall, don't they?

I think they do in this case.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    this is my serious answer. OP, you are 19. you have been dating this guy for three weeks. you are in college. with all of these things in mind, if any relationship you begin is anything other than natural, easy, and all around delightful, you really need to move on. especially with only three weeks into it. I would argue that no relationships should be stressful when just starting out, but again... 19, three weeks, college. there are more fish in the sea. plenty more.
  • rml_16
    Options
    do you remember what it is like to be young? i do, my life was full of teenage dramas when i was a teenager. that's what happens. i'm 40, but i remember. don't pick on her because she is young and living what sounds to me like a normal teenage life.

I do remember. There is nothing I would call "normal" about the things she posts. They are all seriously over-the-top and invite drama from the board.

She can post what she wants. She always does. And always to the same effect. Yet she continues doing so, which tells me she enjoys the aftermath.

Also, I am currently the mother of a 19-year-old girl.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

I do remember. There is nothing I would call "normal" about the things she posts. They are all seriously over-the-top and invite drama from the board.

She can post what she wants. She always does. And always to the same effect. Yet she continues doing so, which tells me she enjoys the aftermath.

Maybe she is "inviting drama" (I don't know)... but you're one of the ones giving it...
  • kassiebby1124
    Options

i messaged you, first of all.
    Second, "over the top" or not, why the **** would I make something up and then ask for advice about it? What joy could I possibly get out of that? I don't enjoy people like you being jerks. I feel like if your kid posted things like that you wouldn't bat a damn eyelash. and how are they over the top?
    My ex was going in thr marines and I was torn between staying with him or not. At the moment in time, I wanted my best friend and I to remain friends. He was "talking" to me but didn't know I was dating someone. I told my best friend we were JUST FRIEND. How is that "over the top?"

And how is this considered over the top?
  • rml_16
    Options
    Second, "over the top" or not, why the **** would I make something up and then ask for advice about it? What joy could I possibly get out of that?

People do things like that so often, there is actually a word for it.

I would say you do it because of boredom. I mean, that's probably the usual reason.
    Maybe she is "inviting drama" (I don't know)... but you're one of the ones giving it...

So? I didn't say she couldn't or shouldn't post. I find it entertaining. Helps the work day go by faster.