Apple Poll :D

Options
I love:love: Granny Smith apples and haven't eaten any other kind in many many many years ~ but, unfortunately, they cost twice as much around here:sad: , so......my other options here in New York are: Macintosh, Cortland and Empire. Which one is closest to the crisp, tart Granny Smith that I love??:huh:

I hate applesauce and that is all I can think of when I get a sweet, mushy apple:tongue:

Thanks for any help:flowerforyou:

Replies

• kirstindr
    Options
    Honeycrisp and Ida Reds are really good and not mushy at all. I hate the grainy mushy ones.
  • PolkaDot88
    PolkaDot88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I like golden delicious - not quite as tart but has a great crisp texture. I haven't had Corland or Empire, but if you are trying to avoid mushy don't go with Macintosh!!!
  • rmkorama
    rmkorama Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Braeburn and also Jazz are really nice, tart apples.

Also, the mushy and grainy apple thing is often caused by a lack of freshness. The people at the orchard we go to told us to store apples in a plastic bag with a damp wash cloth to keep them hydrated and fresh. It works great!

ETA: I meant to say, if ever you see them, Braeburn and Jazz are really nice, tart apples. :)
  • SharonsJetSet
    Options
    Golden Delicious!! Yummmm
  • shelleyg42
    shelleyg42 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Macintosh, is what I always have if I don't have my favorite Granny Smith apples around.
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    personally i'm a Gala apple kind of girl. a little tart, a little sweet. and super crisp, and also juicy! YUM!

but as far as the apples you mentioned Macintosh is pretty mushy so i'd say avoid that one. and i've never tried a cortland or an empire. how about next time you're at the store you buy one of each and try them both. that way if you dont like one of them you only bought one? thats what i would do.

good luck finding a new apple to love thats also affordable!
  • AngieBil
    Options
    You would LOVE Honeycrisp if you could find it. They've replaced Granny Smith for me...
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Honey Crisp and Gala. And you do not have to make it applesauce to get the tart taste of applesauce. A fresh apple with Cinnamon sprinkled with some stevia works for me, I have that for breakfast most mornings! I do not like a soft, mushy apple either. It they do not have a bite, and are not crisp, I stay away from them.
  • bushman124
    bushman124 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think the cost to buy the Granny Smith's is worth it if that is the type you like best. You deserve the best and an apple a day is one treat that is healthy and very good for you. So, splurge honey and to heck with the cost--save money somewhere else! :happy:
  • sharonuk10
    Options
    I tend to eat Gala apples but I do love Empire. They are not available here all the time so when they are not I go for the Gala. But would much prefer an Empire.
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Honeycrisp or pink ladies
  • kuntrygurl
    Options
    Gala and Pink Lady, YUM!
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Empire apples are nice. If you can find Pink Ladies, they are also pretty tart and delicious. Macintosh apples can vary WIDELY in both texture and flavor depending on variety and location- so try and see if you like them but for me it is hit or miss.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Try Golden Delicious. Or Fuji Apples (those can get pricy tho). Or apple-pears/papples (whatever they call them where you're from, they're an apple/pear hybrid obviously).
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Gala are my favorite- They aren't grainy but they aren't near as tart as a granny smith.
  • tesshaney
    tesshaney Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Braeburn and Fiju apples are my favorite. Tart and crisp...yumm
  • JustAmy
    JustAmy Posts: 291
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Looks like I have some apple research to do!:glasses:
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    All I ever have is Fuji. I love those things!!!
  • reflections
    Options
    Golden Delicious are #1 in my book! :)