Help with getting started while working the night shift

Options
2»

Replies

• Torgrills
    Torgrills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm also a night shift nurse and work 3 back to back 12's a week Wednesday-Friday. I find that if I count my calories from midnight to midnight, it makes calorie counting a LOT easier than trying to cram things into one day and figuring out how to place them the next day. I also changed my meal names to Meal 1, Snack 1, Meal 2, Snack 2, Meal 3, Snack 3 because "Breakfast", "Lunch", and "Dinner" just stressed me out. Now when I eat at 3 a.m. I just plug in the calories and move on. I'll also do things like lunges down the hall or squats while charting, and when I get up around 3 p.m. I'll do p90x and then take my shower. Utilizing the crock pot for dinner is also VERY helpful. I pop a meal in before bed, have dinner with the family in the evening, and then pack leftovers to take to work for my middle of the night meal.
  • spatdi
    spatdi Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Planning is key! That being said, PREP IS KEY!!

On your days off, make large quantities of the following items, freeze/store and then pull and pack servings for your overnight shifts.

Quinoa cooked in FF chicken broth/garlic. Keep in the fridge to use all week.

Your favorite chili or a broth based soup-full of veggies and some protein. Portion it out and freeze in individual servings.

Season and grill CHICKEN BREAST/SALMON, then portion and refrigerate enough for 2 days. Wrap and freeze the remaining portions. (It should defrost sufficiently in your lunchbox before you are ready to eat)

1)Use on a salad with fresh lettuce mix, veggies, fruits, and low cal/low fat dressing. Sometimes I crave a little textural crunch and add slivered toasted almonds, a few tortilla strips or light croutons.

2)Make a blue plate lunch with quinoa, your frozen cooked protein portion and your favorite veggies.

3)Low carb tortilla/lavash roll ups with lean protein/cheese, and veggies. (I use a TBSP or two of plain greek yogurt and hidden valley ranch mix in place of mayo or cream cheese).

And don't forget smart snacks! Fruit, low fat cheese, yogurt, light crackers/chips, cereal/fiber bars etc.
  • Npettersen
    Options
    Hello! Lots of positive advice here and I work events and catering that work out to be around 12-14 hour shifts 3 days a week on my feet with about enough time to cram in a small snack (2 to 3 times) within the evening. Also raising 2 boys so I like quick and easy! I bring 3 items with me every time which generally consists of a fruit, protein on some greens and a granola bar that has a little chocolate drizzle for extra yum factor.

Here are examples of what I bring to eat;

1. A banana or a clementine or some berries

2. Organic salad greens with some chicken breast slices ( I usually don't get much more exciting since I aim for speed) with a side of my favorite dressing to drizzle on top.

3. A KIND bar, my current fave is cherry dark chocolate, it's just a bunch of nuts and fruit squished together, no fake stuff. They have lots of different flavors.

I also take a big hot travel mug of cinnamon apple tea, it tastes good and sweet once you steep it long enough ( my fave is celestial) and it's a great zero calorie drink that gives you something other than water.

Feel free to add me as a friend and good luck!
  • Npettersen
    Options
    Hello! Lots of positive advice here and I work events and catering that work out to be around 12-14 hour shifts 3 days a week on my feet with about enough time to cram in a small snack (2 to 3 times) within the evening. Also raising 2 boys so I like quick and easy! I bring 3 items with me every time which generally consists of a fruit, protein on some greens and a granola bar that has a little chocolate drizzle for extra yum factor.

Here are examples of what I bring to eat;

1. A banana or a clementine or some berries

2. Organic salad greens with some chicken breast slices ( I usually don't get much more exciting since I aim for speed) with a side of my favorite dressing to drizzle on top.

3. A KIND bar, my current fave is cherry dark chocolate, it's just a bunch of nuts and fruit squished together, no fake stuff. They have lots of different flavors.

I also take a big hot travel mug of cinnamon apple tea, it tastes good and sweet once you steep it long enough ( my fave is celestial) and it's a great zero calorie drink that gives you something other than water.

Feel free to add me as a friend and good luck!
  • CCNurseMarti
    CCNurseMarti Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This is excellent advice. I was just looking for crockpot meals today.

Torgrills - Lunges down the hall is bringing vivid pictures to mind! LOL!

I too have switched to doing midnight to midnight calories and just plug in the calories when I eat without regard for the time. I like the idea of switching the names to meal 1-2-3 and snack 1-2. I will have to figure that out!

npetterson - I will look for KIND bars... they sound good! I eat Kashi, but find them calorie dense and not very filling...

Spatdi - I will work on Prep today! I am off and will certainly try to do some prepwork to make the next 4 days easier!

Thanks a ton!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!