When was your last straw that made you want to change?

Options

Replies

• lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    My then fiance ended our engagement unceremoniously (via facebook no less!) I was devastated, and felt like no one could ever love me if A) I was overweight and B) If I didn't love me!

I'm still single, but I lost 60 pounds, then gained 30 back, never ever EVER going to let myself get back to that highest weight!
  • CulturedCowgurl
    CulturedCowgurl Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I ordered a whole wardrobe's worth of new clothes in "my size" online. I tried the first pair of pants on- "Must be mis-labeled size"....second pair "Weird, did I happen to get two mis-sized pair of pants?" Third pair "Ok, I'm apparently fat"

They were not one, but two sizes too small.

Lol.....laughing WITH you. Not fitting my clothes were my issue as well.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I had my daughter take full length pic of me. I could not believe how big I looked!!! I was SICK. The next day I ironed my clothes for work and the pants that I was going to wear were too small. I was SICK again. I knew at that point it was time for change!!! That was yesterday and today so I am now back on my grind!!! Wish me luck!!! I need new pics!!
  • sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I bet my start is a lot different than most people.

I was given an Ipad as a gift. It sat in the box for a couple of weeks because I couldn't figure out how I wanted to use it. I thought about the purpose of technology. The purpose of technology is to improve our lives. What is the biggest most profound way my life could be improved? My health!

So, I started looking into apps that I could install on my Ipad to improve my health. I found MFP. I lost 25 pounds. I quit smoking. I have since gained back all of the weight and then some. Nine months later I am trying to take off the weight again.

This last year I have made the biggest improvement in my life in many years. All because of technology.
  • eAddict
    eAddict Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Not being able to fit in amusement park rides with my kids; not being able to zip line or horseback ride on vacation; not being able to go hiking.
  • Stefanny91
    Stefanny91 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    ... none of my clothes fit ... well mostly my bras I realised that I had about two bras that fit and even they were too snug! :(
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I saw a young military guy I worked with try to run 3 weeks after losing his leg. All my excuses were BS after seeing that.
  • LPJackson76
    LPJackson76 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    What really got me serious was a diagnosis of Hidradenitis suppurativa (which is fun to say but SUCKS to have) - short version is it's kind of like reverse acne in places where your skin rubs together - for me, my armpits - and the lumps are a heck of a lot bigger than regular acne. This is gross, but when the "zits" pop they can leave holes and over time make tunnels and eventually stop healing. Had to have surgery to fix my "holes" on both underarms, which sucked. I couldn't lift my arms for 6 weeks - was kind of like this:

t-rex.gif

Which my hooligans found to be HILARIOUS...me less so.

My surgeon - because they have EXCELLENT bedside manners - told me that if I wanted to avoid ever going under the knife again I had to lose weight. That the condition can't be CURED, but is totally manageable, but not if I was fat.

I told him I'd been working on losing weight (I'd lost 12 pounds in the preceding 3 months) and he asked how. I told him I was watching what I ate, and before I could say anything else he said...direct quote here:

"The only thing you're watching is your fork go from your plate to your mouth."

I was shocked, then burst out crying. He said, "What are you crying for? It's not like you can't fix this."

It was kind of my "There's no crying in baseball" moment. I realized he was right and I needed to get serious. Signed up for MFP and have been doing the slow-but-steady method...a little slower this past year than I'd like, but still making progress.

WOO HOO!!!
  • stephcbms
    stephcbms Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    My doctor telling me I had officially made it into the obese range as well as border line high blood pressure, cholesterol and diabetes. that was enough for me to change. Fifty three pounds down and feeling great ! :) Doctor agrees lol
  • jeffininer
    jeffininer Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I had multiple reasons.

1) I'm a photographer and I had annual fall photos taken. Getting them back and seeing that I was bigger than my husband (without the excuse of 'baby weight' any more) it made me mad. My health has always come easy to me. Now that I'm 31 and with 2 kids, it's not as easy.

2) My biggest reason is my dad. He passed away a year ago Friday. I've been in a depressed state since then. I'd given up on any sort healthy living. Something about this 1 year anniversary has kicked my behind and I want to get healthy for my own kids.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    When I was 17 during my senior year of high school, the scale at my chiropractor's office said 168 lb., which clearly meant I was overweight (at 5'6"). I flipped out on the spot, but then I decided I needed to make some changes. I'm still not at my goal, but I'm in a healthy weight range now. :)
  • jamiehering
    jamiehering Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Mine was seeing a picture of me from Christmas where I looked 4-5 months pregnant. I am not pregnant. It's my profile pic now to remind me of the change I want to see. I'm the one on the left.
  • KatrinaGrey
    KatrinaGrey Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Back in October I started getting really bad, sharp pains in my arms and legs which no doctor could figure out. But during one round of blood work, my doctor did want to put me on Crestor for high cholesterol.

That day I decided to revamp my eating (for weight loss and for health) and get more exercise. Not surprisingly, the pain went away, never to return (one friend said it might have been caused by a vitamin deficiency). I will be having my cholesterol checked next month and am hoping that has also come down.
  • JulieAnn72
    JulieAnn72 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I saw a picture of myself at a Christmas party last year (2012) and finally realized I had gained a lot more weight than I realized.

Yes, this too. I have seen several pictures of myself in recent months and could not believe my eyes. Isn't it funny how we see ourselves every day in the mirror and we know (or thing) we've put on a little, but when we see that picture it's a real eye opener.
    It was pretty bad, especially since it was a group photo of me and several friends - and it was clear how much heavier I was compared to all of them. I had never been that heavy in my life. The pictures of me from 2013 holidays were an amazing difference, and a great motivator to maintaining my new, lower weight through another year.
  • SaltNBurnBoys
    SaltNBurnBoys Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    My mother and step father are both upwards of 300 pounds, so I'd always promised myself I would never be like that. Then, at a doctor's appointment, I was weighed and saw I weighed 196 pounds. Four pounds short of the limit I swore I'd never reach. I've tried diet and exercise in the past, and it always felt impossible to keep up with it. My willpower always cracked and I went back into my sedentary, 3000 calories-a-day life.

But this time I've found this website, and I'm really hoping that the community on here will make my willpower stronger. I love my mother, but I don't want to look like her.
  • bamf82
    bamf82 Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm tired of starting over. Literally! I posted on Facebook (dumb, I know) that I'm starting my diet (lifestyle) and so many people cheered me on. It was so touching how many people cared. I have some of the best cheerleaders, my nieces are my biggest cheerleader. When I feel like giving up, I'm going to think about them and their reaction when they see a thinner me. They motivate me because I want to be a good role model for them, and teach them that they can do whatever they set heir minds to do.
  • LenaMena87
    LenaMena87 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    seeing the scale when i went to the dr on friday!
  • powongick
    Options
    I have been a member of this site a while now, but I finally feel like I'm ready to start getting my weight under control. being 5'4 and 237.4 lbs isn't great for my 40 year old bones. And to top it off I am back to my heaviest weight that I was 10 years ago, lost 80, and over the past 4 years managed to gain it all back slowly. Nothing fits anymore. I look like the Michelin man. The boob roll ( The roll right under your boobs and before your waist ) is almost as big as my boobs, and I have a nice healthy set, and I'm always achy and out of breath. I figure if I'm gonna be achy and out of breath it might as well be because I'm exercising, and not because I sat on my fat *kitten* all day and just walking up 5 stairs winds me.
  • Tig_
    Tig_ Posts: 32
    Options
    I chose a really pretty dress for my birthday and was so chuffed when it arrived, thinking I was going to look amazing in it. Somebody took a picture of me and sure the dress looks lovely but woah, I could really see for the first time how much weight I have really gained.

I burst in to tears and although of course we all know weight isn't everything and blah blah blah, shouldn't make me feel less pretty but it does and I didn't want to continue feeling that bad about myself.
  • Zomb1eMummy
    Zomb1eMummy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I too have been on this site a couple times, get some results and then something happens and I quit. The last time I did really well for me (lost 30 pounds) but my sister died suddenly in an accident and I quit for 4 months. I am back now however and I will be successful. I am so tired of having to continously buy bigger clothes and throwing out smaller ones. I want to be in the opposite order! Plus, I have 2 young girls who look up to me and I want to be there for them as a healthy role model. :)