How did you improve your endurance?

Options
2»

Replies

• Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    kayjay: I have heard of spinning but never like looked into what that is! Definitely will check it out.

lesa_sass: I try to eat around 1200-1400 cals a day. I always feel guilty if I am at my 1600 allotted amount. Maybe trying it for like a week filling the extra left with proteins etc will help.

raisealittlehell: I have done intervals and I suck at them so bad haha. My legs feel like they are dying haha but when I was doing them because I read about the intervals being able to help with endurance it certainly helped keeping my breathing more in check and the lung capacity larger.

The hardest part of actually eating to weigh less is wrapping our head around it. Try it, I swear by it. If you feel guilty for eating 1600 calories, you are walking on the cusp of a ED. That is not healthy at all. I bet if you eat your 1600 per day for a few weeks, you will be amazed at how great you feel. I filled my extra cals with low GI foods like quinoa and sweet potato until I got over my fear of eating enough.
  • mikeykhan2003
    Options
    get off the boring *kitten* elliptical and go for a run. If I did that for a year I'd never make it past 30 minutes either.

stop looking at a clock and just put in a movie- or your head phones- settle on a slower than normal pace- and just keep doing the thing you are doing.

you're en fuego today!
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    When I started I could run for 30 seconds without stopping. Now I can run 10 miles. The key is to push yourself to do a little more each and every day. When you feel like you can't go on anymore, push it for just a minute more.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I agree with JoRocka.

If you get out and on your own power you will see your endurance increase in leaps and bounds. When I use machines I feel like I am just trying to "keep up"

Try a short run and see if it is for you. Best of luck

I think I am really going to try that. I have a bit more confidence from losing the 30lbs so maybe going out in public won't be as such a horror as I assume it could be. Everyone has to start somewhere, right?

I started plodding outside (plodding means jogging) @400 lbs. I didn't care what anyone saw. As for endurance going outside will be highly beneficial. I add in climbing stairs and hills as well.
  • kikionna4
    kikionna4 Posts: 308
    Options
    do you mean improving endurance for real runs or elliptical runs?

sorry f that came off sounding a bit snobby, but there's only so much an elliptical can prep you for actual running. sure it can give you a baseline of fitness, but since you arent supporting your body weight, the machine is doing most of the work for you, and you're not having to deal with the effort required to propel yourself forward it's not really going to help too much with real world running.

the best way to build endurance to tun is to spend time running.do something like the c25k app or zombies run 5k app. those will help you gradually increase your running time.

I didn't take it as snobby lol. Any advice is great. I will definitely try those apps when getting out there and running non-machine. Any endurance on either would be great lol. Thanks for the input. I would LOVE to be able to be in a 5K at some point in the near future!

you can do it. remember a a lot of running is mental. one time i finished half a 5k running at a pace that was far greater than i thought i could do. it was actually closer to what i thought was my "i can only keep this pace up for 1 minute" pace. i didnt realize it until i finished, but basically the difference is that i was thinking about how much i didnt want to pee on myself and needed to reach the finish line ASAP :laugh:

Yes, it is SUCH a mental thing. To push myself to do stuff like that. That's awesome that you ran a 5K! It is one of my big running goals to be able to participate in one! :):laugh: about the pee thing at least it kept your mind off it and more like run faster so I don't pee all over! haha.
  • kikionna4
    kikionna4 Posts: 308
    Options
    Wow, thank you SO MUCH everyone! This makes me feel so awesome to have the advice etc. More confident to get out there and do it also. :)
  • californiabella
    Options
    By eating more believe it or not. I was eating 1200 cals per day and wiped out. I moved my calories up and had more energy and was able to run further and faster. Stopping smoking was the most important thing I did, but that is a given.

all of this and all of @heybales post as well.

warming up properly and working my way into my workouts (slowly increasing my heart rate and gradually increasing intensity) helped tremendously for my endurance. sip some water, but don't chug. just enough to refresh you and keep you hydrated. I also find that focusing on my breathing technique helps a lot too. I used to tire myself out the first ten minutes of my workout to the point that I'd be thirsty, sweaty, and exhausted after only ten minutes and would want to stop. I continued that until I could endure 30 minutes-- and would want to vomit afterwards. I don't recommend that. lol. Monitor your HR and especially how you feel during your workout to get an idea if you're pushing yourself too hard or not enough.

Good luck. :-)
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    Get a heart rate monitor and control the workout I started at 308 lbs recovering from illness and failed to soon purely because I was pushing myself to hard just completed a half marathon on the rowing machine easily by keeping my maximum HR bellow 80% of my max, and intend to do the full marathon very soon.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I'm going to bet you are pushing yourself too hard.

You've trained your body to go to the anaerobic side of your energy use, and that is short-lived.

Is every workout as hard as you can go?
    That's great for calorie burn, and training body to use carbs that are required for intense efforts, but no good for endurance.

Is the workout almost every day in addition to be intense?
    That's going to minimize the ability to actually improve from that type of exercise, as body is getting little to no chance to rest and repair.

Got HR sensors on that machine?
    What is your avg HR at generally, and has it always been at that level, and what's the highest you've seen?

If the above is true, and it generally is for those starting out and going gung-ho, you'll need to slow down to train your aerobic side of the range for fat-burning, which is needed for endurance.

Take this ^^^ advice and apply it so something less boring like real running.