HELP! Supplements and Stacking Nitrates

Options
2»

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Hopefully this thread will save the OP some money in the future.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    My biggest concern is that I'm pretty active (gym 5-6 times per week, 20 minutes hard cardio, 45 minutes 3x3 lifting heavy) on a restricted calorie diet (1200-1300) so I see the supplements as a way I can achieve my fitness goals and weight loss goals with out going over my calorie goal for the day. But correct me if I'm wrong! I'm pretty new to all of this and I want to hear everyone's opinions/advice/experience.
    Supplements don't do much for fitness. May attribute about 1% from your overall results. And if stayed in calorie deficit, weight loss will happen. The ONLY supplement I would advise you to use is protein since it's a building block of muscle.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I agree, except I hate considering protein as a "supplement." It's just food. Whey might be powdered food, but it's still food.
  • feedthebohemian
    Options
    Thanks for the fast replies and all of the great advice and info everyone! I'll be changing some things around next month after I finish up what I already bought.

Do you think the multivitamin is also unnecessary?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the fast replies and all of the great advice and info everyone! I'll be changing some things around next month after I finish up what I already bought.

Do you think the multivitamin is also unnecessary?
    Doesn't hurt, but you don't need to buy a name brand at GNC. Just get it at a local Walgreen's, Safeway, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    On a semi-serious note, does your pee glow after taking all those?

I am genuinely curious.
  • feedthebohemian
    Options
    Neon yellow after the multivitamin -.- It's slightly startling.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

That should tell you what you need to know about your multivitamin. It just ends up in urine fairly quickly. I used to take multis but I've slowly stopped because they really don't do anything.
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters - there really isn't any need to spend a great deal of money on GNC products. A well balanced diet is the way to go with a good multi-vitamin and fish/krill oil thrown in as an extra rather than necessity. If you feel that you don't have enough energy with workouts and calorie counting, make sure you are getting enough protein and water. I find that logging my food intake, and making sure I have some protein with every meal, is the key to maintaining stamina.

If you have extra money spend it on a good quality groceries or new workout gear to motivate you to hit the gym.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options

That should tell you what you need to know about your multivitamin. It just ends up in urine fairly quickly. I used to take multis but I've slowly stopped because they really don't do anything.

Ya'll want to see some impressive shYt then go drink a rockstar energy drink. You'll be trying to pee just to see the pretty colors at that point.
  • Levesque_7
    Options
    I spent $150 this past month for the 4 supplements. That's with the member discount and their in-store promotions. I worked it out with out their promotions and just the member price, and it's $188 per month.

Wow. That's like a week and a half of great food for me and two kids. I take a multivitamin, fish oil and Vitamin D. It costs me like $15 and lasts 2 months. I don't see the point in spending tons of money on supplements. Diet is far more important.

This ^^ i totally agree here. I would rather spend the money on food as well