Broscience

Options
What does this term mean? I usually dismiss anyone out of hand who uses it. Is it meant to denigrate "bros"? And which "bros" does one mean? Please help me understand.

Replies

• coretemp
    coretemp Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    Unsubstantiated fitness advice/ opinions
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    This is all I can contribute.
    cab61faef50415684a6f1cc3e82e9f19d0d974baa2d6a146e4f4a4254785a6c6.jpg
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    There's a channel on youtube, brosciencelife
    Should answer all of your questions...
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Unsubstantiated fitness advice/ opinions

Or, Common sayings that can work but aren't the only way to do it. The conventional wisdom in fitness mags tend to be "broscience."

You have to eat 30 min after lifting heavy or you will lose your gains
    You have to eat 40g of protien every 3 hours because that is the max protien your body can absorb in that time frame and the rest will be wasted. <--- my favorite, but works for me.

Are examples of Broscience.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    This is all I can contribute.
    cab61faef50415684a6f1cc3e82e9f19d0d974baa2d6a146e4f4a4254785a6c6.jpg

This always makes me laugh, I even imagine Adam West saying it. :laugh:
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    What does this term mean? I usually dismiss anyone out of hand who uses it. Is it meant to denigrate "bros"? And which "bros" does one mean? Please help me understand.

You don't know what it means, but you dismiss out of hand anyone who uses it?
  • OatFloats
    OatFloats Posts: 119
    Options
    I have heard of Brogrammers before... Those are Males who program while working out, but apparently they are better at lifting weight than programming. But the context seems even more evil and sinister here. Thanks for the reference and information.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mh5brhksN51qg1vd7.jpg
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Anecdotal evidence provided by those who echo it with no scientific evidence to truly support it. Really big in the fitness/diet world so that people will spend money on their programs and ****.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    BroScience, is awesome. Its advice, tips, information you get from your BROs ... opinions and thoughts on different suppliments. Ideas on workouts to try, or different ways to work muscle groups. Yes alot of it can be fluffed up crap, but at the end of the day, its just alot of information from people that have been there, done that, and got the t shirt. And not all of it crap. Just take it at face value, and go research it yourself.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    3tvtzy.jpg
  • Still1Workoutatatime
    Options
    There's a channel on youtube, brosciencelife
    Should answer all of your questions...

^^^^^Unsubstantiated fitness advice , check out the youtube channel and you get a great idea
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    BroScience, is awesome. Its advice, tips, information you get from your BROs ... opinions and thoughts on different suppliments. Ideas on workouts to try, or different ways to work muscle groups. Yes alot of it can be fluffed up crap, but at the end of the day, its just alot of information from people that have been there, done that, and got the t shirt. And not all of it crap. Just take it at face value, and go research it yourself.
    Broscience is what you get from Aggies who can't spell "supplement". :wink:
    nighthawks_comeatme.jpg
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mh5brhksN51qg1vd7.jpg

Lmao, exactly
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

You don't know what it means, but you dismiss out of hand anyone who uses it?

:noway:
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    sounds like a socially accepted sexist term
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    Oh, no, there are *definitely* chick bros!
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    my cousin used to call herself a boy-girl cause she wanted to hang with her brothers all the time
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Oh, no, there are *definitely* chick bros!

yup. the "don't lift because you'll get bulky" girls.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    my cousin used to call herself a boy-girl cause she wanted to hang with her brothers all the time
    Well, we've already got a perfectly cromulent word for that, "tomboy" (like me!), but the linguist in me approves of her flexible lexicon, or as I like to call it, a "flexicon"! :laugh: