coconut oil

Options
I'm looking to use more coconut oil in my diet for all its beneficial reasons any suggestions how to adapt into my meals??

Replies

• jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I use coconut oil for stir fries - I use the frozen pre-made (birds-eye) stir-fry veggies, add 3-4 oz of chicken/ham/whatever's in the frig... & fry it in a tablespoon or 2 of coconut oil... Yummy!
  • saradord
    saradord Posts: 129
    Options
    I use coconut oil for stir fries - I use the frozen pre-made (birds-eye) stir-fry veggies, add 3-4 oz of chicken/ham/whatever's in the frig... & fry it in a tablespoon or 2 of coconut oil... Yummy!

Do you find that it makes your food taste more like coconut??? then the other flavours your using?
  • MelAb8709
    MelAb8709 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I use it to cook fairly often (pretty much anything that requires cooking on a stovetop, to prevent sticking) - the flavor doesn't take over at all.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    if i am going to use oil when i cook its coconut oil i use. sometimes i cant afford the calories and will use the coconut oil spray (zero calories) so it says. either way, i love the stuff!!!! mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

Do you find that it makes your food taste more like coconut??? then the other flavours your using?

Not really, unless you use HUGE amounts of it to cook your chicken.
  • saradord
    Options
    if i am going to use oil when i cook its coconut oil i use. sometimes i cant afford the calories and will use the coconut oil spray (zero calories) so it says. either way, i love the stuff!!!! mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

coconut spray thats a good Idea, where would I find that?? it was hard enough finding coconut oil where I live, lol
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i get both the oil and spray at trader joes. im in san diego.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I use it to season my cast iron skillets.
    It's a good massage oil, too. ;-)
  • saradord
    Options
    I'm in Ontario, Canada so maybe I could find it at a whole foods store,? :smile:
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I'm in Ontario, Canada so maybe I could find it at a whole foods store,? :smile:
    Since room temp. in Ontario is about 21C and coconut oil is solid at that temp., how do you expect to spray it?
    Seriously, you'd be better off sticking to healthier oils like expeller pressed olive and canola and save your saturated fat intake for meat and dairy.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Omega brand is tasteless. Nutiva has a light flavour. Depending on what I'm cooking I'll use one or the other. I don't want bolognese sauce that tastes like coconut but butter chicken is cool.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,028 Member
    Options

Just use a tiny amount of the oil you already have. You don't have to buy the spray.

Her spray isn't really 0 calories, it's just that you use so little of it with a spray, they can call it 0 calories. If you were to use more than a few spritzes, it would have calories. If something has less than 5 calories they can call it 0.
  • Rosieannaxo
    Options
    I like to put coconut oil in my coffee. It sounds weird and you need a blender to properly mix it but its really rich and delicious. Perfect way to start the morning.
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options

I'm not in Canada but I am in a somewhat rural area, no Trader Joe's or Whole Foods close by, I found it online and ordered it.
  • latewinterwolf
    Options
    i put a tiny bit in porridge but you can really taste the coconut. delicious :)
  • saradord
    Options
    Since room temp. in Ontario is about 21C and coconut oil is solid at that temp., how do you expect to spray it?
    Seriously, you'd be better off sticking to healthier oils like expeller pressed olive and canola and save your saturated fat intake for meat and dairy.

thats tru but I try to stay away from canola for my own reasons and am gonna stick to coconut oil cause its better in my books and with the diet I do.
  • GretaGirl8
    GretaGirl8 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    If you can find a small package to try first, I would recommend that. I like coconut, but the coconut oil did not sit well with me. I ended up throwing it out. The mere smell of it caused me to feel ill. I do believe it is a great health and beauty product--but it isn't for everyone.
  • saradord
    Options
    If you can find a small package to try first, I would recommend that. I like coconut, but the coconut oil did not sit well with me. I ended up throwing it out. The mere smell of it caused me to feel ill. I do believe it is a great health and beauty product--but it isn't for everyone.
    i've already bought I huge container, lol haha just want some new ways to use it
  • minimalistmom
    Options
    I like mixing it in my oatmeal.
  • fredf2112
    fredf2112 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I use it to for making popcorn.