IBS and going wheat/gluten free?

Options
2»

Replies

• emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I have had IBS for years and have been able to manage it through diet and exercise the past 5 years. However, I have had some other medical issues tied into that. So my doctor has me gluten and dairy free. I've been doing this an it's been helping. I'm trying really hard to do this 100%.

I'm hoping to reach out to other gluten and dairy free MFP's and make new friends! :smile:
  • GlutenFreeWench
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Ulcerative colitis 4 years ago. (aka: degenerative changes, we don't know why).

I cut out wheat/grains on a hunch. My doctor said, yup, was about to suggest that, because...well, you have the kitchen sink going on with you.

WOW, THE SYMPTOMS...THEY WENT AWAY TOO.

We added them back in to do the test. Boom, celiac disease. At age 34. What the flock, right?

the PCOS is toned down, the insulin resistance is better, the thyroid disease is improving, and the acid reflux is gone unless I eat THE STUFF I AM ALLERGIC TO. GLUTEN. SOY.

Sometimes, the obvious stares you in the face. Good luck, it changed my life:)
  • yomtol
    yomtol Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with IBS ten years ago, there is a great site called eatingforibs.com this helped me tremendously with figuring out how and what to eat and what the triggers are. I have been gluten free a few years now, tested negative for celiac. This really helps the IBS as you need to stay clear of specific fibers. I just joined MFP and would love some tips as I am currently on 1200 calories per day and want to lose 40 pounds. cynflcylnce your weight loss is amazing considering all of your health issues :smile:
  • joysiegurl1970
    Options
    Thank you all so much for giving me hope! I really thought I was going crazy! 2009 I was 387lbs - today I am 242. On November 1st I had my gallbladder removed and my stomach issues have been worse since surgery than before - I have tested negative for Ulcerative Colitis, Crohns, Celiac and Ulcers - as well as stomach cancers - I had multiple polyps removed during a post surgical endoscopy. I have another appointment today to discuss possible IBS - prior to surgery I went gluten free and felt great until my gallbladder went. After surgery I went into a state of acidosis and they put on a pure CARBOHYDRATE diet for last two months - I feel bloated and crampy and horrible and can't poop (sorry if that is TMI), but I am beyond frustrated. I spent eight days in the hospital for what was supposed to be outpatient - anyone have any suggestions? I want to get below the 200 mark by fall - btw I am 5'2".
  • karimonahan
    karimonahan Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have had IBS for years and have been able to manage it through diet and exercise the past 5 years. However, I have had some other medical issues tied into that. So my doctor has me gluten and dairy free. I've been doing this an it's been helping. I'm trying really hard to do this 100%.

I'm hoping to reach out to other gluten and dairy free MFP's and make new friends! :smile:

hey there.

im not dairy free but do have celiac disease so i follow a gluten free , add me if you would like!
    kari