Gluten Free?

Options
Anyone else gluten free? Best advice? I have celiacs and am looking for new snack ideas and recipes!

Replies

• skinnydreams1997
    skinnydreams1997 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have celiac disease and am also allergic to dairy and nuts. My advice would be to carefully read labels when shopping for food. Also it would be wise before going out to eat to figure out a couple options that you would be able to eat. Also make sure that the food you buy is not processed in the same facility used for wheat products because then there will be cross contamination.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Snack ideas:

Boiled eggs
    Devilled eggs
    Nuts
    Beef jerky
    Celery with peanut or almond butter
    Celery with cream cheese
    Cucumber with sour cream dip
    Lettuce, cheese and cold cuts roll ups
    Olives
    Pickles
  • Primeval_Princess
    Options
    Snack ideas:

Boiled eggs
    Devilled eggs
    Nuts
    Beef jerky
    Celery with cream cheese
    Olives
    Pickles

this

I'm grain free
  • mbcxx09
    Options
    I am a celiac that has not eaten well for years. Since my 23yr daughter was dx I had to get my act together….beside GF I must soy and mold free also. I am finding it easier to adapt receipts then it is to try and figure out what I can eat….Not sure if this make sense. But here's an example…..I am starving what can I eat for dinner???…..at this point I am usually over whelmed….Instead I take the approach - I want enchiladas for dinner….then I set out to make them GL……
  • fattybumclaire
    fattybumclaire Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I eat a gluten free diet (have done for 2 years now), I am currently trying to cut out dairy and processed sugar too lol. My fave recipe for breakfast is banana pancakes :-

Mush up a really ripe banana, add 1 tablespoon of ground linseed/flaxseed, 1 whole egg and a tsp of cinnamon, mix up really well then gently stir in a handful of either blueberries (my fave) or raspberries, blackberries etc.

This mixture can then be cooked like scotch pancakes in a frying pan with a tsp of coconut oil (or oil of your choice), they make 3 pancakes on average. You have to cook them fairly slowly and make sure they are well set before trying to turn, or.....if you are short on time or patience you can pop them in the oven in a bun tray. Really delicious, no added sugar and are fab if you serve them with a dollop of natural yoghurt and some extra fruit.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Snack ideas:

Boiled eggs
    Devilled eggs
    Nuts
    Beef jerky
    Celery with cream cheese
    Olives
    Pickles

if someone is truly GF and has legitimate issues like celiacs with gluten then they should be very careful with the items i have bolded above. i'm allergic to wheat so even hidden gluten like what's in cold cuts, dips, dressings, flavored coffees, flavored nuts, etc. can result in me breaking out into hives and having breathing problems because of throat constriction. read the labels and read the ingredients, dont just assume that items are GF because wheat is used as filler, binder, and basis for flavoring for so many things.

i make the majority of my food, but i'm also lucky enough to live in an area where there are dedicated GF bakeries and products (just had me a GF donut :drinker: ). there's a series of cookbooks by a lady called the gluten free gourmet. there are several cookbooks in the series and they are all very good.

another thing i did is to take former meals i used to et that were filled with wheat and make them myself gluten free.

good luck!
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    Snack ideas:

Boiled eggs
    Devilled eggs
    Nuts
    Beef jerky
    Celery with cream cheese
    Olives
    Pickles

You need to check the ingredients on both the jerky and the lunch meats because they could contain caramel coloring which contains gluten.
  • glynnsokacich
    Options
    I too have Celiac Disease and have been eating strictly GF for 5 years. I find it a struggle to eat healthy and gluten free but I am learning

I eat yogurt, nuts, fruit, jerky (all natural GF), cheese is a huge staple for me!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Anyone else gluten free? Best advice? I have celiacs and am looking for new snack ideas and recipes!

There is an app called ipiit, that will let you scan a bar code and then tell you, based on preferences that you pick (like gluten free), whether the food is safe for you or not. I'm gluten intolerant and I use it all the time.
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Great to see some snack ideas. My doctor has me gluten AND dairy free. I've been doing it a month now and was allowed to test my tolerance over the holidays. I have been told I don't have Celiac. So at my next appointment I hope to have more answers.

I'm hoping to meet new people going down this new way of thinking gluten free. I do believe that eating bread, pasta, etc does make me more gassy and bloated. So I'm on board to take this out of my diet.

I like the LaraBar and Kind Bar for on the go. They say they are both dairy and gluten free.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I eat GF and have had for the past year!

I think the main thing is to focus on healthy fresh items, and not just items that are made "gluten free".

Good luck!