When is the best time to exercise?

Options
Does it matter much if you exercise before or after you eat? I find myself obsessing over when I should exercise and sometimes I just decide not to. Usually I run on the treadmill in the morning and then eat breakfast afterward but sometimes I wait until right after I eat lunch and I'm wondering if it matters?

Replies

• jweindruch
    jweindruch Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I think it's more important to just exercise and not worry about the time. Celebrate just getting in some exercise regardless of what the clock says!
  • AngieD2203
    AngieD2203 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Personally for me, morning, first thing, if I don't then I find myself looking for excuses the rest of the day!!
  • WonderCort
    WonderCort Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I would guess that having a sporadic exercise schedule is still a much better choice then just not exercising at all! I have always been told morning exercise is the best but for whatever reason my body is more motivated to do it later afternoons. It's just always worked out for my schedule that way and I have managed to lose over seventy pounds and keep that off for over two years. For me, exercising the right amount of time and paying attention to my body signals has always been a much more important factor then what time of day I do it. There is no "exercise doesn't count if not done before 9am" deal going on.
  • tolae2006
    tolae2006 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    the honest answer is JUST DO IT
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    Doesn't matter at all.

If I get up early to go to the gym I work out on an empty stomach and make myself a protein smoothie when I get home.

If I exercise in the afternoon it's usually a few hours after I've had lunch or a snack.

Doesn't matter.
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Different people have different theories. Fasted cardio in the morning can be effective. I'm on a 3 days on, 1 rest day, so my rest day rotates through the week. Weekday workouts after work, weekend workouts after breakfast. My evening workouts feel better, I feel like I have more energy and better lifts. When I work out in the morning, I don't feel as awake and have less energy.

I think, for me, the difference is: When I had all day to pyshc myself up for a great lift, I lift better.
  • chezaz
    chezaz Posts: 5
    Options
    I think it's more important to just exercise and not worry about the time. Celebrate just getting in some exercise regardless of what the clock says!

yep - the best time is when you are feel like it - then you will enjoy it and are more likely to keep on doing it...
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    The Best time to exercise, is when you have the time too....... Best of Luck
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    For me, first thing in the morning before life gets in the way, but as others have said, whatever works for you.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I will add that exercising right after you eat probably is not ideal. Give yourself at least 30 minutes.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    The best time to exercise is whatever time you will actually show up and do the exercise.

For me, along with some others, I see, first thing in the morning is best because I don't excuse my way out of it or get too busy with life.
  • xkimberlee007
    xkimberlee007 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your reply! I agree with all of you about just getting it done!
  • Wifey7891
    Options
    whenever you have the time. as long as you get it done during the day thats all that matters. i do after work.
  • keeptehpeace
    keeptehpeace Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    whenever you have the most energy so you can put your all into it and burn as many calories as possible
  • steve_mfp
    steve_mfp Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Great article on biorhythm's and when to train.

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/best-time-to-work-out/

"Take Home Messages

• Your circadian rhythm is a 24 hour cycle of biological activity set by your internal clock. Your sleep-wake cycle is one of many systems influenced by your circadian rhythm.
    • Your hormonal milieu, gene expression and core body temperature have a circadian rhythm. Together, they result in peak physical condition to train and recover in the late afternoon to early evening.
    • The best time to work out is generally between 14:30 and 20:30 h if you have a regular sleep-wake cycle.
    • You can determine the optimal time to train by monitoring your maximum resting heart rate and training performance.
    • If you can’t train when your body is primed to do so, supplement with caffeine pre-workout and schedule your workouts when you can always train."
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I exercise at night around 8pm when my dinner has had a couple of hours to go down. It's my de-stress at the end of the day and afterwards have a shower and then wind down for bed. I find it zaps my energy a bit if I do it in the morning- I have enough trouble motivating myself to get out of bed.