Yoga videos out there?

Options
Hey guys! So I want to try out yoga to help me relax and improve flexibility, and I don't have any yoga places where I live so I was going to try online. Do you guys have any favorite people I should try? So many options on youtube and I frankly don't know where to start. I've never done it before so I'm a beginner. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks ahead of time!

Replies

• starrlight23
    starrlight23 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Bumping as I would love to know as well
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    There's lots of free videos and workouts on YouTube and many different styles of yoga. You can search for a yoga flow or "cardio yoga" if you want more of a workout, or you can search for a slower paced yoga practice if you're more interested in stretching and relaxation. If you're not familiar with yoga at all, definitely start out by searching for something specifically tailored for beginners. That way you can get a good handle on the basics and avoid pushing yourself too far, too fast. :smile:

Edited to add that I just did a YouTube search for "yoga for beginners", and a lot of good stuff came up.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    go to youtube put in beginner yoga

other then that jillian michael has two dvds out
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I've been using Travis Eliot's Yoga Foundations. It is 3 levels. He is amazing. His directions are so good that you don't have to be watching the screen. He is truly exceptional. As an aside he has the most calming voice. You can go to Collagevideo.com and see a clip of that and any other vids they have.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i like shiva rae's dvds. there's also a matrix thing on most of them so you can piece together your own routine based on what's available on the dvd.
  • MissGamerGirl
    MissGamerGirl Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Tia Mowry (from Sister Sister!) and Tara Stiles (apparently an expert yogi) teamed up together to do a yoga workout DVD and I really like it! It's in two parts: calm and core. It's affordable and great for beginners. :) Has great reviews. My abs were on fire (in a good way!) the day after I did the core workout for the first time.

http://www.amazon.com/Mowrys-Complete-Calm-Series-Stiles/dp/B00AHKLZDY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387777497&sr=8-1&keywords=tia+mowry+yoga+dvd

I have to say, I own Jillian Michaels' Yoga Meltdown DVD and while I usually love her DVDs, I really didn't care for that one. :( It didn't really feel like yoga to me.
  • mynameisemmy
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I will be sure to check all of these out! :)
  • Crumpet_Girl
    Crumpet_Girl Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am about half way through a 30 day yoga challenge (60 mins yoga a day) that I set for myself over the holidays. I have been using the yoga dvds from p90x and p90x x2 and they are great - really hard work. I used to own the Gerri Body yoga (geri from spicegirls lol) and that was a good beginners dvd.

Good luck!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I really love Yoga Journal's products. They give a lot of explanation, and their yoga is not a hybrid. Don't get me wrong, I love certain hybrids and do them myself :) But it's nice to get a foundation of 'real' yoga with good instruction before doing the hybrid thing, imho. At least to get the most effect out of yoga. I also like Gaim (sp?) and Yoga Zone, but they don't tend to explain as much.

OTOH, once you've heard the explanations a million times, the DVDs that explain a lot can be a pain to have to fast forward, lol. That's when the choices really branch out, because you know how to do each move and can just get to the workout itself without a lot of talking parts. Most general DVDs explain as they go in real time, and that's nice after your foundation is set.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Doyogawithme.com has a large database of free streaming yoga videos, and many many many of them are for beginners. They also have plans where they recommend a specific series of videos over a specific period of time to make progress and get better. I did the 6 week program for absolute beginners and loved it. The site is completely free, though they do seek donations.
  • tabbykat6802
    tabbykat6802 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Years ago when it was on Oxygen, I loved Inhale w/ Steve Ross. I found some of the episodes on Youtube. It is set in one of his studio w/ students ranging from beginners to advanced(not everybody is a stick that can bend into a complex pretzel). He's light hearted and really makes yoga fun.

Fitness Blender has some yoga routines, too.
  • janicebinva
    janicebinva Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm a member of YogaDownload.com. I paid a membership fee (I think it was $40) and for a year, I get to download as many different classes as I want at no additional cost. They have a great selection of yoga styles and instructors, and you can search on level of difficulty, style and other variables. They have a preview capability so you can watch a minute or two of the classes before deciding to download.

I think they also have other membership options and levels, or you can buy and download classes a la carte for four or five dollars each.

I think this is a great service. I've downloaded several classes and done a few of them many times. The others are waiting for my shoulder to heal from surgery, but I'm looking forward to them. (Full disclosure: I'm not an agent or in any way affiliated. I'm just a member/user and very happy with what I got.)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hulu.com has a health & fitness channel.....lots of yoga there. Yoga Zone, Gaiam, My Yoga Classes, etc.

http://www.hulu.com/#!search?q=yoga

Also for DVDs (clips, reviews, fitness level) .....collagevideo.com has a wealth of information

http://www.collagevideo.com/searchresults.aspx?type=all&search=yoga
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    There is a reduced offer going on right now at this site.

http://www.myyogaonline.com/m/goo42014?gclid=CLzZqYjkzrsCFeFlOgodpHAAJg

I have Namaste Yoga CDs I really lke that are good for a beginner/intermediate. It used to be on FitTV bit the Oprah channel took it over.

All the best
  • SuperWhoLock24601
    SuperWhoLock24601 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    30 day yoga challenge by Erin Motz on youtube.
  • G_RRR
    G_RRR Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I love Sara Ivanhoe's 20 Min Yoga Makeover
  • YogaFitnessGuru
    Options
    Many yoga videos offer hands-on instruction with internationally known yoga instructors right in your own home.You can also visit about Yoga videos http://yogafitnessguru.com/.
  • rayonrainbows
    rayonrainbows Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    http://www.doyogawithme.com/

they have a ton of free videos and you can search by length/style/target area/ etc :)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • willtry08
    willtry08 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump so I can read later