One Year of Barbells and Ice-Cream: My Story…So Far (pics)

Options

Replies

• stormystrickland
    stormystrickland Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ablot63
    ablot63 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    great job, very inspiring! just wondering, do you also do cardio? i'm new to weight training. i still do cardio but was wondering if it's necessary. btw i'm from england too :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    great job, very inspiring! just wondering, do you also do cardio? i'm new to weight training. i still do cardio but was wondering if it's necessary. btw i'm from england too :)

Hi! No, I don't do cardio. I hate it =).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Hi! No, I don't do cardio. I hate it =).

If you enjoy it or need/want the calorie burn to create a caloric deficit it - then go for it, however cardio, while beneficial, it is not necessary to lose weight - a caloric deficit is.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    *cough* Need more posts in here. Getting close to rolling!
  • rexiecatmeow
    rexiecatmeow Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You look great.. Job well done! Keep it up.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Sarah is the best! Amazing transformation :flowerforyou:
  • RonFrances8
    RonFrances8 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Loved your story... You go girl! Thanks for sharing!
  • ssaraj43
    ssaraj43 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    In for the roll .....

Thank you for all you do Sara :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • flab2fit_30
    Options
    this is so inspirational... when i tell people i dont do cardio and only weight train they look at me like im crazy... but i hate cardio, so i dont waste my time knowing i wont put my all into it.
  • cajunpirate
    cajunpirate Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Simply Awesome
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Sara you are an inspiration to so many, including me. I re-read your story all the time. I just had to bump this for you in case there is any one else out there who may need that inspiration today. Thanks for all the hard work you do around here helping people. You don't really know me but I just wanted to chime in and say I think you're great :smile:
  • Marlene1667
    Marlene1667 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You are an amazng person. What a great story. I LOVE that you go into heaving lifting. So many women are afraid they will get bulky but you obviously look fantastic. I started heavy weights a few months ago and am hooked. I love ice cream too but it has to be a very occasional treat for me. I am like a kid on crack with the stuff (or any sugar) I can't have just a little....yet ... maybe one day.

Congratulations!
  • fitndfab
    fitndfab Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    <3 you are such an inspiration. love u
  • richardbigg
    Options
    Ok, I keep hearing about a calorie deficit, but am not sure how you get it without cardio. What I mean is how do you track calories burned when working out with weights? I for one can feel it when I am sleeping at night, the continued burn of the muscles after a long workout. In fact, I wake up the next morning and swear something is still generating heat in my muscles. However, I don't really know how to track the calories burned. Do you just bust your *kitten* to the point where you are spent and eat just a little less than what your body is telling you to eat?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Ok, I keep hearing about a calorie deficit, but am not sure how you get it without cardio. What I mean is how do you track calories burned when working out with weights? I for one can feel it when I am sleeping at night, the continued burn of the muscles after a long workout. In fact, I wake up the next morning and swear something is still generating heat in my muscles. However, I don't really know how to track the calories burned. Do you just bust your *kitten* to the point where you are spent and eat just a little less than what your body is telling you to eat?
    I think the majority of people that are lifting regularly probably use TDEE to calculate their intake, but if you search weight training under cardio, there is an estimation from MFP.

And you're right - there is an assosciated burn long after the exercises ceases.
  • silenceinspace
    silenceinspace Posts: 142 Member
    Options

You naturally burn a certain number of calories a day--the number of calories required to keep you alive (heart beating, lungs and brain going), without any other activity. That's your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR). Then you have Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE), which is your BMR plus the calories required to do whatever it is you do (walking around the house, doing laundry, driving a car). You create a calorie deficit by eating less than your TDEE.

AFAIK, some people count calories burned during weight lifting and some don't. It's more about the food, though you can also create a deficit through cardio (or a combination of deficit and cardio). It depends what suits you best.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

You just eat less that you burn. Lifting weights burn calories also (it is just not the primary goal of lifting usually).

I do not track calories burned while lifting - I eat to a static number and tweak based on my results and overall trends.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

You just eat less that you burn. Lifting weights burn calories also (it is just not the primary goal of lifting usually).

I do not track calories burned while lifting - I eat to a static number and tweak based on my results and overall trends.

It's going to be TWO YEARS of Barbells and Ice-Cream: My Story.....Again (more pics)

...in about 17 days?

And people are STILL replying to this?

WTF.

I make a post about my abs and get 3 replies and some crickets.

:heart: But you deserve it :heart:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!