Be nice to yourself - it'll help! Progress Pic

Options
cappydos
cappydos Posts: 24 Member
Happy New Year MFP peeps!!

After the holidays, I found myself getting very down and hard on myself because of how poorly I ate throughout those few weeks. I made NO progress whatsoever, and even put on a few pounds. Now, I know it's the Holidays and that happens to most people, but even before the Holidays, I had hit a plateau and hadn't seen any progress in a while, so it made it that much more difficult to see the jump in poundage when I got on the scale after New Years.

I'm writing this post because I know I'm not the only person that felt like that heading into the New Year. I started searching for some motivation to get me back on track and came across a picture of me from NYE last year…when I looked at that picture, I immediately put it next to a picture of myself from this NYE and got a little teary. I realized I was being WAY too hard on myself. I have come such a long way in the past year in so many ways and I couldn't believe that I let a few weeks of being a bit looser with my eating habits start to make me feel like I had failed.

It has been a long weight-loss journey for me - I started with MFP in the summer of 2011, lost about 38 lbs, proceeded to gain it all back throughout 2012 and started fresh again in the beginning of 2013. Since then, I have lost about 42 lbs. I still have a ways to go (I'd like to loose about 24 more), but I realized how hard we can be on ourselves without ever really allowing ourselves to take in the win and feel proud of the progress we HAVE made instead of focusing on what we haven't done or how much further we have to go. I'm constantly criticizing myself for everything - my arms are still so huge, my butt is wide and flat, I have back rolls, blah blah blah (the list could go on forever), but what is that doing to my motivation? The answer? KILLING IT. Who wants to keep pushing forward when the voice inside your head is telling you you'll never be good enough anyways? So friends, I'm determined to STOP IT. Stop the internal berating and focus on the progress I am making - whether it's something as simple as choosing not to have that second cookie, vowing to enter every bite into MFP, or something as big as spending an hour at the gym today. CONGRATULATE YOURSELF ON THE LITTLE THINGS PEOPLE!! They come a lot more often than the big milestones and it will make the time in between those milestones go that much smoother and quicker. Also, tell yourself at least one thing a day that you like about yourself or point out something you notice you have made progress on. For me, today I decided to focus on how much thinner my face looks. It made me feel really good about what I've done to this point :)

In light of my realization, I decided to post a progress pic. I had promised myself that I wouldn't post before and after pics until I had reached my goal, but my NYE epiphany made me realize how important it is to pat yourself on the back all along the way rather than beating yourself up until you hit that magic number. I know now that this will make the rest of this weight loss journey that much easier and more enjoyable. Hope you guys can feel the same way too!

Now, back on the bandwagon to shed this last 24 lbs!

2s7g95j.jpg

Replies

• jackie_moo
    jackie_moo Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Glad you decided to post earlier than you planned - it was a great reminder to us all on appreciating ourselves and our progress. Congrats on your weightloss - you look great!!! :D
  • Zippedydoodah
    Zippedydoodah Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You look great :) and I think we all need to remember we need to do this because we love ourselves enough to do it... not because we hate ourselves :)

Your progress picture absolutely inspires me!
  • Marsidote
    Marsidote Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Huge difference!! You look fabulous!!
  • cappydos
    cappydos Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • 100toloose
    100toloose Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    It is absolutely neccessery to remember how far we came and there is not so much more to go... :)
    Amd we can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel... So thank you for sharing .
  • pain_is_weakness
    pain_is_weakness Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Very true, you look great1 Awesome job
  • LaraRN
    LaraRN Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    WOW! What an inspiration and how GREAT AN ATTITUDE!!
    You are so right on and I will bookmark this post for the times that I need to be reminded!
    Thank you!
  • body_in_progress
    body_in_progress Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You look amazing, good work!!
  • skinnylady2014
    skinnylady2014 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Excellent write-up for all of us this time of year.....and real good comparison pics too. You look great. Hang in there!!
  • michluth
    michluth Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder! You look fantastic and your progress is inspiring!
  • CrazyC
    CrazyC Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    You're AMAZING and beautiful inside and out! Thank you for sharing this!
  • mscrystallee
    mscrystallee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Reading things like this and reminding myself that I need to treat me like I treat others. I would never tell a friend that they were fat or not good enough as I don't see them for their outside appearance, amazing job ! You look great
  • angex3333
    angex3333 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You are looking fab!! Well done :)
  • ReginaM49
    ReginaM49 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I needed to heat that. Sounds way too familiar. Thank you. Oh... And by the way... you look fabulous!
  • Keema2003
    Keema2003 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    wow, you look great!
  • JenX15
    JenX15 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    First .... you look fantastic, way to pat yourself on the back for a job well done!!!! Second ... THANK YOU .... I am exactly where you are - plateau Sept-Nov .... found some pounds lost come Jan 1st. But I AM in much better shape than I was a year ago and I CAN and WILL do this in 2014!!!!! Way to go girl!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • starkiss100
    starkiss100 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Great job!!
  • thecarbmonster
    thecarbmonster Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Love your outfit!!! You are a force :) Great job!
  • SusieCuteYay
    SusieCuteYay Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Wow! Cool! Congrats!
  • bf43005
    bf43005 Posts: 287
    Options
    You look fantastic and what a great message. You are so right and we all do it and sometimes never realize we are the biggest thing standing in the way of reaching our goals. Keep up the great work!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!