I cant get back on my diet after the festive season

Options
I was sensible (ish) over xmas and new year and only put on 4 lbs. (which is good for me!) but i cant get back on my diet now. Im just soooooooooo hungry and craving chocolate and fattening food.

I lost 5 and a half stone last year and still need to lose another 3. How can I get back motivated again?

Replies

• saradord
    saradord Posts: 129
    Options
    I hear ya I was the same but I find that if Ieat tomuch of one thing I dont want it any more soo I got rid of ALL the junk i my house and stalked up on nothing but healthy!!! once you start you'll be fine!!
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    reduce your calories slowly over the next couple of weeks to get back into the swing of it. Don't force yourself to be too restrictive too quickly.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    When I'm finding it hard to get back on track, I fast for a day. I'll just drink water, tea, & skim milk, take my vitamins, but nothing else. It helps me get back on track because I'm not making decisions on solid food, just not doing it at all. Also reminds me that if I can say no to solid foods for a day, I can certainly say no to too much, or the wrong kinds of foods, when I'm not fasting. In fact, I actually try to fast every Monday, because it does help keep me on track. in addition to the mental help, I think it helps shrink your stomach down a bit, because I know the day after my fast, it doesn't take much to make me feel full.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I went on a cruise the week before xmas and managed to gain 10 lbs over two weeks (probably some water weight), but when I tried to get back on track on the 26th I found that I just didn't have the willpower. I think I needed the rest of my lift to get back into routine, which happened when I started back to work on the 2nd. I've had no problem since then. Back to tracking food and working away at the extra pounds. My energy level still isn't there, but I'm feeling motivated to eat within my calories. I have to say, after day two I felt so much better and thinner, more like myself, that motivation became easier.
  • amosmoses88
    amosmoses88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I was sensible (ish) over xmas and new year and only put on 4 lbs. (which is good for me!) but i cant get back on my diet now. Im just soooooooooo hungry and craving chocolate and fattening food.

I lost 5 and a half stone last year and still need to lose another 3. How can I get back motivated again?

Just jump in head first. Don't think about it. Just do it. The more you think about it, the less likely you are to get back in it. So just dive in and start back. Mind of matter.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem and kept saying "I will start tomorrow"..took me a few days to even recommit..that being said, the first couple days of getting back into it, I am not gonna lie, is going to be rough...your bod was doing the happy dance over letting it have the extra sugar...then it started craving it...so you may have a sort of..withdrawal..I know I did! Just commit to doing it and suffer through....you will feel so much better in a few days, get your mojo back girl!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's been tough for me too, but I'm back on track now (let's not talk about yesterday though). I think going back in my routine has helped though.
  • sassykate007
    Options
    thanks everyone for answering. its good to know im not the only one! Im even craving chocolate in my sleep!

Might fast today. . its going to be tough!! x
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    Try increasing your protein and then dial back the complex carbs and sugars.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I've been the same way, and it has been incredible to see the kind of addiction sugar can create. It's really like a drug. It's going to be super hard, because our bodies now crave it....I get single servings of super dark chocolate. That helps my cravings some.
  • wendypf
    wendypf Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You're not alone. It's such a common problem, taking a few days off and then having trouble going back to our healthier ways. I have quit many diets in the past because of this. I found that I had to just get all the things that were tempting me out of the house. Then I spent a lot of time reading the MFP message boards for motivation. After a couple of days it was easy again. Good luck.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Not to sound "mean" but you "can't"????

Yes you can you just chose to do it...I did the same thing over the holidays while on vacation and ate all the foods.....check my diary.

I love chocolate and have a tonne left from the holidays and had a piece last night...no need to fast or do something drastic.

Just do it.
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Me too... I am gradually easing back in!
  • Making_changes7
    Making_changes7 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Same here. My body is officially addicted to chocolate. Or probably the fat/sugar content of it. I started today as Day 1 of no chocolate. I'm going to see how long I can go without it and, hopefully, only eat high cocoa content chocolate if I have a big craving. If you want we can be accountable to eachother? :)