NASM

Options
i'm looking into get my PT cert through NASM.. they seem pretty reputable... anyone have any input on the program or others??

thanks!!

Replies

• Taterpoof
    Taterpoof Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I am currently enrolled in the NASM CPT course. I have talked to many people and gyms and NASM is one of the most respected certifications. It is more than just "this is how to lift this and that". It really gets into the science of how the body works.
  • fitpiglet24
    fitpiglet24 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    perfect, thanks! i read a couple reviews about the book being written poorly.. what do you think?
  • Taterpoof
    Taterpoof Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    perfect, thanks! i read a couple reviews about the book being written poorly.. what do you think?

It is a lot of information, I don't think it is written poorly. When you enroll there are also videos to watch so it isn't just about reading the text book. I found it interesting personally.
  • fitpiglet24
    Options
    which package did you go with?
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I'm a certified trainer through NASM. In my research I found it to be one of the best certifications out there. Anyway, I forget what the name of the package was but I went with the most expensive one that included the online study guide & test, and the one day seminar which I found very helpful. It's not an easy test so make sure you study hard for it. Know all your muscle isolation functions as well as over active/under active muscles & what to stretch & strengthen.

Good luck!
  • fitpiglet24
    Options
    thanks!
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I was NASM certified for years. Great cert...it was the most reputable (and most difficult) at the time. I'd recommend going to one of the seminars, if you can; that was super informative and helpful.

I'd like to get recertified by them, but don't think I can from overseas. :( Maybe just ACE this time around. I think it will be a lot easier. Not gonna lie: the NASM test was difficult. Though I initially took it 14 or 15 (OMG!) years ago.
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I actually just went through their online CPT course with eteach (that's the one with the videos, quizzes, practice test and forums where you can speak to everyone else in your "class") and just need to select a date to take my exam after I study for it a little bit more. It's great to read from Leadfoot_Lewis that I need to beef up on my isolated muscle functions etc because I know that is my personal weak spot right now.

With eteach they have instructional videos where the teachers basically just go over whatever it is you just read in the book as well as application videos where one person speaks while the other person demonstrates what they're talking about. There's also a TON of handouts from powerpoint presentations that you can print out for your own use to study later. I had to buy a 3" binder just to fit them all in. Haha

One thing I learned after signing up for the course though, is that if you wish to work for a local gym, you should contact them to see what their hiring requirements are. For instance, the Gold's Gym near me requires two CPT certifications before they'll hire you AND still have to take their own training course. If I remember correctly the reasoning I was given is that not all training programs are created equally in the knowledge that you're given (hence having the two before they'll hire you) and then their training course so that everyone has to same basic GG approved know how.

Good luck to you in whatever you choose to do though.
  • fitpiglet24
    Options
    thanks for the replies guys, its nice to get some feedback before jumping into a program. shadowkitty: did you do a payment plan? and if so, how much per month are you paying? i want to get my cert asap but need to make sure i'll still be able to afford my obsession with whole foods market :p
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    i'm looking into get my PT cert through NASM.. they seem pretty reputable... anyone have any input on the program or others??

thanks!!
    Excellent cert. Although a cert doesn't define one as a great PT, I may also get NASM cert just for resume.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I am a NASM CPT. I did their online course with textbook. The test was comprehensive and tough. I learned alot, and am looking to continue my education with them through some of their seminars. Good luck and enjoy!
  • 4themoney
    4themoney Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I started on jan 4. i think it's pretty awesome so far. we had a 9 hour class on Jan 4 and learned SO STINKIN much!!! they said it's 8 hours of work each week for 8 weeks, and then we have another 9 hour class before the exam.

i love the way the book is written, but then again i am a nurse, so the A and P and pathophys related stuff is right up my alley ;-)
  • fitpiglet24
    Options
    eeee! im super pumped. thanks for the info!
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I'm a certified trainer through NASM. In my research I found it to be one of the best certifications out there. Anyway, I forget what the name of the package was but I went with the most expensive one that included the online study guide & test, and the one day seminar which I found very helpful. It's not an easy test so make sure you study hard for it. Know all your muscle isolation functions as well as over active/under active muscles & what to stretch & strengthen.

Good luck!

Love reading this! I earned my NASM Certification this past September and love it!
  • Jerzinator
    Jerzinator Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So just to make sure I understand. If I do the ecourse, I should plan to study 8 hours per week, meaing reading, studying, online coursework??