Where am i going wrong?!

Options
2»

Replies

• AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

Oh please. Only 5 pounds in 8 weeks? What is the need to lose faster? Isnt around 1/2 pound a week a fairly healthy rate of weight loss?

I'd be pretty happy with this!!!!

This is what I was thinking.

OP, It's very unlikely you put ON weight that quickly, it's very unfair to your body to expect it to come off faster than you put it on. It's important to be dedicated and consistent, but even more important to be REASONABLE in your goals, to avoid feeling defeated and risking the urge to give up.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Iv only lost 5lbs in just over 8 weeks :( What am i doing wrong?

Seems like a decent amount to me. Maybe turn off Biggest Loser and the drop the dream you'll magically lose all your weight overnight and have some more realistic expectations. Just keep it up and you'll get to your goals. Good luck!
  • sabianhunter
    sabianhunter Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've lost 11# since I started on Oct 5. And about 4 of those I can blame on having the flu in November... :) My first month I didn't lose much of ANYTHING, maybe a pound.

:) chin up, you are doing great! If you are strict with counting your calories-weighing-measuring, so that you do feel like you are being accurate, then the only thing I might suggest is eat a bit more! I would say 1474 seems a bit light on calories with the working out you are doing. Food is fuel.

I don't think with the TDEE method it really matters what exactly you are doing every week, but you could still log that you exercise 2-3 times a week?? it would up your calorie count to make it more accurate.

Maybe try the calculator at iifym.com
  • jesstaylor21
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your kind words!! I think trying another calculator and eating a bit more may be the way forward then by the sounds of it, i mean i don't feel hungry with the calories I'm eating and a generally listen to my body so if its tellingme to eat i have a snack and log it but im generally not a HUGE eater anyway :)

I'm not saying im not happy with the weight i have lost because any loss is great i just would have expected to loose a bit more considering iv undergone quite a drastic lifestyle change!

I have been doing my measurements and again no change at all but i find measuring inconsistent for me as i can never seem to get the same spot i measured in last time haha!!

To the poster who asked about breastfeeding i had my bubs 9 months ago and stopped breastfeeding at 6 month's so no issue's there but thank you :)

Again i think i shall just have to try re-calculating my TDEE maybe including work outs and see if that makes a difference seems bizarre that to loose weight you have to eat more though doesn't it!!

Thanks again everyone :D xx
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Asking again, because apparently it got lost.

Do you use a food scale?
  • nataliea683
    nataliea683 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    you may be losing inches rather than weight if you are doing all that exercise, your fat will be burning and your muscles growing. muscle weighs more than fat...

well done on your weight loss
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    you may be losing inches rather than weight if you are doing all that exercise, your fat will be burning and your muscles growing. muscle weighs more than fat...

No! You can't gain muscle on a calorie deficit.
  • jesstaylor21
    Options
    I did put in my first response that i do measure and weigh my food and i am very god at making sure everything is weighed/measured even when cooking for the whole family :)

I have measured inches too but nothing has changed as far as i can see, I did think maybe it was fat to muscle conversion as i try and lift heavy and i can definitely see more muscle in my legs!?

Can anyone recommend what my calorie intake should be then for my stats and to loose weight with my exercise the way it is?

Stats again:
    Height: 5'8
    Weight: 179.8

Thanks again xx
  • sbarclay2014
    Options
    oops
  • sbarclay2014
    Options

No! You can't gain muscle on a calorie deficit.

You absolutely can gain muscle and do gain muscle on a calorie deficit as long as you are doing the work to gain muscle- exercise, strength training etc. This is well proven.
  • sbarclay2014
    Options
    I did put in my first response that i do measure and weigh my food and i am very god at making sure everything is weighed/measured even when cooking for the whole family :)

I have measured inches too but nothing has changed as far as i can see, I did think maybe it was fat to muscle conversion as i try and lift heavy and i can definitely see more muscle in my legs!?

Can anyone recommend what my calorie intake should be then for my stats and to loose weight with my exercise the way it is?

Stats again:
    Height: 5'8
    Weight: 179.8

Thanks again xx

According to the calculators your calorie intake would be 1770 calories per day to lose the weight by July 4. The problem with the calculators is they are based on averages and we are all individuals. My metabolism is such that i have always had to eat less calories than the calculators indicate- by about 200 calories on diet or off. So it is important to watch your body, weigh your food and see where your magic numbers lie.

I have lost (and regained weight alot due to stressors and not eating properly). I have never found that increasing my calories has helped me lose weight, even during a stall with very, very high activity level. But others have so if you increase your calories watch it closely.

You are losing weight at a reasonable healthy rate. That being said it can be discouraging to see 5 lbs over 8 weeks particularly when you hear stories of faster weight loss.

If you want to lose weight faster you need to adjust your macro nutrients- higher protein levels or reduce your calories further. In the long term there is no difference in weight loss for higher protein diets but in the short term there definitely is and it helps with motivation. (There is a difference in body fat% vs muscle with high protein dieters having lower body fat % at the end of a year vs just a calorie reduced diet). The critical piece is when you hit your goal weight to be able to take the weeks or months to slowly adjust your calories and macronutrient levels to a maintenance level otherwise you will gain some weight post goal.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    In looking at what you said your work out was I could see why your a little frustrated. First a 45 minute spin class will not give you the same weight loss effects as walking or running.

Have you ever actually taken a spin class?? :laugh:
    That's what I thought!

OP- Are you 'eating back', so you're eating over 1800 on the days you exercise?
  • jesstaylor21
    Options
    Hi again :)

Wow so adding in my workouts to the calculator I'm eating a lot less then, but like you say I'm worried by eating more it's only going to make the matters worse! Maybe if i increase it a little bit to like 1600 rather than the 1474 I'm currently on and see if that helps?

No Walking along i haven't been eating back my calories as i have had quite a lot of mixed reviews whether to or not!

Who thought loosing weight could be so darn confusing lol I was always under the impression it was 'workout more - eat less - loose weight!' how wrong was I lol!!!

Again thank you for all your advice :D