Daily treat.

Options
Does anyone plan in a small treat into their meal plan every day? Like a cookie, scoop of ice cream, etc.? Just wondering how often you and if its hurt your diet in any way?

Thanks!

Replies

• food_junkie
    food_junkie Posts: 434
    Options
    Does anyone plan in a small treat into their meal plan every day? Like a cookie, scoop of ice cream, etc.? Just wondering how often you and if its hurt your diet in any way?

Thanks!
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you include the calories in your daily count, it should be ok to treat yourself.
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    When I was doing it right.. daily.. I was loosing and eating my ice cream.... but .. I am slowly getting back on... been a rough couple weeks.. so i had gained... BUT when i was folloiwng my cals... i lost and ate my ice cream... so I say if its with in your limits.... eat a small snack a day.. its your life style not a diet remember that...:p:bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • dancegirl1
    dancegirl1 Posts: 30
    Options
    I do! Every day :)
    I am a believer (and supporter!) in a dessert after every meal...haha...of course, I don't mean three pieces of cake or anything like that. But it helps me to have some fruit for breakfast dessert, a small treat after lunch and usually a Healthy Choice Fudge Bar (100 calories and delicious!) after dinner. I always make sure these treats fit within my calorie recommendations, but it helps me so I don't have cravings, binge-sessions, or splurges. Haha
  • Emdicio
    Emdicio Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Same here - I crave something sweet at the end of a meal. I enjoy sugar free Jello pudding, a serving of pears or an apple, maybe the Nabisco 100 Cal snacks (Oreo Candy Bites!). I just make sure I make room and count every calorie I eat and if I don't have the room I either exercise to make it or have to forgo it. :bigsmile:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I do it too! I add 100 cals for the end of the day, everyday. It is often - a few nuts, a spoon of PB, air popped or EVOO cooked popcorn, a homemade muffin, fruit, etc. I even sometimes use a little diet pop or those low cal jellos (I know - chemicals etc) but it gives me something to look forward to in the evenings!

If I'm out of calories, I'll do 10-15 minutes of exercise just to get it!
    :flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Ohhh yes....I love my little treat at the end of the day! Tonight I had the Trader Joes Gourmet Cinnamon Flat Breads for 110 cals per serving! SO good. Taste like a cinnamon chip or something. MMMM

Sometimes I have some light ice cream. I love the Breyers FF brands. The Double Chocolate Cookies N Cream is ff and low cal and even has 3 g of fiber per serving! :)

I think the point is that to lose weight and keep it off, you need to keep yourself from feeling deprived and understand that dessert can be a part of a healthy lifestyle if you plan for it and are accountable and just watch the portions.
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have a bowl of frosted mini wheats before bed. I actually work it into my diet so I can have sweets before dinner and not go over my calorie limit.
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    When I am really wanting to treat myself, I get a large sugar free vanilla iced coffee from McDonalds. Only 120 calories, and about $2. It's sweet and creamy, and it's cold too, so it's a great summer treat! I am trying not to have one every day, but anytime I get the urge I let myself have one...after all, the calories are much fewer than in the Pepsi or the Sweet Tea I'd usually get!
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I always "treat" myself....but I try to always fit it into my calories.
    I don't deprive myself of any type of food, but I do make sure I take accountability for eating it, no matter what it is.
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    try the 60 cal vanilla jello pudding snacks and strawberries. So yummy!
  • Mangoaddict
    Options
    Treating yourself is important. Dont deprive yourself, you will eat more if you do.
  • roshong06
    roshong06 Posts: 196
    Options
    I treat myself only if I work out for an extra 15 min. That pushes me to work out, and since I've had the workout, the "treat" usually doesn't hurt me. If I really want something, I ask myself if it is work an extra 15 min on my treadmil...I try to work off the calories in it before I eat it...it makes me think twice about eating it thats for sure. But the sugar free vanilla iced coffee from mcdonalds is one of my FAVORITES!!!! It is such a yummy way to cool off while doing daily erronds or on the way back to work from lunch.
  • mello
    mello Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    My daily treat is early in the day, I drink my coffee with two tsp of sugar in it with creamer. I love my sugar in my coffee.....I look forward to it!!!
  • Mangoaddict
    Options
    Is the mcdonalds cold coffee sugar free or u have to ask them to give it to you sugar free?
  • neome90
    neome90 Posts: 420
    Options
    I usually, about every other day, think about a treat to curb that horrible sweet tooth that I have. I include it in my cal. count and try to stay as close to that as possible. But yes I do, and I believe for myself, it keeps me from just totally blowing my new decisions of choosing healthier choices. :wink:
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    There is room for all haha:laugh: :laugh:

Just put it into your calorie budget! I don't necessarily agree with working out to eat sweets but -- definitely think there is room for sweets in life (I also think everything fits in, in moderation).

My two cents plus some -- if you allow yourself what you want in moderation, you won't feel the need for a cheat day or a cheat meal and you'll eat healthier overall. You don't feel deprived of say - ice cream if you know every tues/thurs you are going to have a scoop.

:flowerforyou:
  • Adele
    Adele Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Every night I have a Slim Bear fudgicle (take it off the stick and chop it up) and top it with Cool Whip Free...about 130 calories and SOOO worth it!!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    You mean on PURPOSE? :noway:

I don't but that doesn't mean I don't do it anyway once in a while. It's ok to go off plan once every blue moon, but I don't plan that kind of food in, cuz let's face it, treats should be just that, a special treat, not one that you plan for, but something you reward or comfort yourself with. That's just my philosophy, but it works for me, others may like another approach, which is fine, what ever works for ya...

-Banks
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    For me, I don't. That's because I know that if I have even a "little" treat, it will lead the next day to a "little bigger treat," and then a "little bigger one" the next day and before you know it, I'm back where I was 4 months ago. So for me, maybe when I hit goal, I'll allow myself an occasional treat but right now, I'm sticking with trying to retrain myself to see other things as treats, too.

Instead of reaching for ice cream, I now reach for a Key Lime Yogurt. Instead of my favorite Vietnamese Coffee loaded with sweetened condensed milk, I add coffee to Vanilla Soy Milk. And so on--it's working too! My stomach thinks it's great when I have something like that and I feel just as happy with those now as I used to with ice cream.